• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ragnar Danneskjold

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    Arlington, TX
    What's the deal with so many outdoor ranges not allowing FMJ rounds? Is it a ploy to get people to buy range ammo? A way to keep the AR15 guys away? Is there a legit reason for this?

I've been to a lot of outdoor ranges back in Michigan and I've never heard of this until moving here. Seems pretty strange.

And does anyone know a good outdoor range that allows FMJ around DFW? Preferably not a club that requires membership. Thanks.
    Gun Zone Deals

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Never seen a range like you are describing. Sounds terrible tho. You should just give away your guns and try BB guns or air soft as a hobby. There might be some takers around here.
    Sorry about your luck.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    What's the deal with so many outdoor ranges not allowing FMJ rounds? Is it a ploy to get people to buy range ammo? A way to keep the AR15 guys away? Is there a legit reason for this?

I've been to a lot of outdoor ranges back in Michigan and I've never heard of this until moving here. Seems pretty strange.

And does anyone know a good outdoor range that allows FMJ around DFW? Preferably not a club that requires membership. Thanks.

Depending on the range, some of them are more in an urban center where, if their berm isn't sufficiently built, an FMJ might have an easier time going through than a soft point or hollow point. MIGHT. IMO, then they need to spend the money and upgrade their berms.

jtyler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Peeltown
    Gibsons outpost in mesquute allows it and ive also heard there is a greater risk of ricochets

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Perhaps you confuse FMJ with "steel cased" ammo.

I know of an indoor range that "checks" ammo with a magnet.

They are also set up so all fired brass drops down through a grill which the shooter stands on.

They recycle that brass into their reloading operation, then sell that ammo to people who show up without ammo.

Needless to say, I would never go there to shoot.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Perhaps you confuse FMJ with "steel cased" ammo.

I know of an indoor range that "checks" ammo with a magnet.

They are also set up so all fired brass drops down through a grill which the shooter stands on.

They recycle that brass into their reloading operation, then sell that ammo to people who show up without ammo.

Needless to say, I would never go there to shoot.

No, it is FMJ. Here's an example from Elm Fork range:

"NO - Full Metal Jacket, Steel Core, or Military Ammo on the 100 Yard Range"

Elm Fork Shotgun Sports

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Indoor ranges check for steel cores or casings because it eats up their metal backstops. (Because that's what the ammo was designed to do!)

Around Houston, I don't know of any restrictions on FMJ, but my son and my friends have run into that in Dallas and Austin. Like an earlier poster, I find it hard to believe that FMJ is any harder on a dirt berm than any other ammo. With respect to Austin, well, there's no use in trying to attach logic to the way anything is done there.

Nev

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    My outdoor range is Quail Creek in Flower Mound. Last time I asked they said it was for insurance purposes. Higher insurance would mean higher range fees (which I'd rather pay than having to stock double ammo). There may have been a fire concern but no ricochets, it's all high natural dirt berms. My indoor range Eagle Creek in Lewisville allows anything but tracers.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Ricochet is the reason I hear most often. If it goes somewhere that it isnt supposed to go, the fmj will go deeper into, or through it.Fusion range in Forney allows it, the one in Ferris does, the one in Paris does also. Elm Fork used to allow it on their 50yd range, has that changed recently?
    Soft point and hollow point ammo is easy to find. That is mostly what I have on hand, for that reason.

Reacher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I was at Elm Fork today and they still allow FMJ on the 25/50yrd range, but not the 100yrd. I was pretty disappointed. Alpine in Fort Worth doesn't allow FMJ either. In the list of Alpine range rules, number 9 reads "NO FULL METAL JACKET RIFLE AMMUNITION."

Are there any ranges in a decent proximity of DFW that go to 200 yrds and will allow FMJ?

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    My club (North Texas Shooter's Association) allows Ball ammo up to and including .50 BMG. It's a members only club but you can shoot as a guest if you want to meet me there some day. PM me if you're interested.

Professor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Garland
    I followed your link and noticed that the restriction is only on the 100 yard range - not on the 50 yard or on the general rifle and pistol rules.

I've shot at several other ranges in the DFW area and have never seen that restriction.

Archangel7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2014
    I don't have an answer for why, but with my Mosin all I can find is surplus ammo.... I simply cut the very end off the FMJ and Garland public range allows me to shoot all I want. It's a lot of work, but worth it to me simply because I get to shoot....

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I'm a member at two private clubs and dropped my membership at a third club. No such prohibition exists at those facilities.

Flash

tmperez

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    Austin Tx
    In Austin there is a range that "doesnt allow FMJ" wont even allow you to take it out of the car. Meanwhile they sell you ammo 20+% higher at the range and get this its F'ing FMJ!!!! Complete BS (wish I would have taken pictures) I asked about why I couldnt shoot my FMJ when I just bough a box of FMJ (marked on the box) for 29 dollars (50 rounds of 9mm) The range office looking like I called his mother a name. Needless to say I never went back and dont plan on going back in the future, too bad because it a beautiful range in the Austin hill country.

Top Bottom