No Hogs in Hunstville, What gives???

Discussion in 'Texas Hunting & Fishing' started by A_FIVE-O, Jul 5, 2009.

1. A_FIVE-O

A_FIVE-O Active Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    My cousin took me to hunt for hogs in Huntsville yesterday. Well I should say hunt for actual hogs, not fat chicks at SHSU. :p

He just started this hunting lease up in Crabbs Prairie in Huntsville. Anyways I saw a bunch of Doe, but NO hogs at all. Does anyone hunt up there that can give me some insight?

2. baboon

baboon Well-Known

As dry as it's been if there is no water on the place there won't be hogs. Also the dry ground makes more noise so approaching hogs that hear very well could be a problem. Last week I drove 3.5 hours to a friends to whack some of his hogs only for them to appear 2 hours after we left.

3. Reverendbiker

Reverendbiker Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    +1
    Hogs are highly nomadic, and unless there's a good source of water they won't hold in one place for long. My ranch in San Saba County is usually overrun with hogs--I've killed over 100 of them in the past two years--but I haven't seen many around in the past month. In this case it's the opposite situation--there's been so much rain in San Saba that there's water everywhere and they have no need to hang around my tanks.

4. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

So how many fat chicks did you end up bagging? :lolz:

5. A_FIVE-O

A_FIVE-O Active Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    I knew there was a good reason I didn't see any. Thanks guys!!!

No fat chicks for me anymore, I quit that after I got out of the Air Force. LOL!!!

6. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

If you change your mind, remember, hit the local watering holes or all you can eat buffets!

7. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    We haven't heard from Five-O in a while. Is it safe to assume he has a full dance card?

8. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I use to hunt down the road from Crabbs Prairie (Bedias). That's a nice area. We also had the same problems when it got very hot and no rain, the hogs would start running at night.

9. TriggerTime

TriggerTime Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    The ROTC Rangers at SHSU had some pretty intense manuevers in the woods outside of Huntsville around the end of the semester. Maybe all of the simulated artie scarred the pigs off?

Hang tight, the pigs will return.

10. Buckles

Buckles Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    i hope they show up soon. im transfering to SHSU and moving up there in 2 weeks