Hurley's Gold

No more jamming my GLOCK between the seat and console.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Consider one of those cowboy hat loop hangers for a cover.

Big loop with a spring that the crown go's in. The loop keeps the hat against the roof(lol, jacking the brim shape up) Stiff ball cap would work in the loop if you don't have a cowboy hat.

Mount the hat hanger to where covers the mounted sidearm. Practice drawing from the position. Understand that the loop and hat will be in way. Work around the cover. Prepare to rip it off the roof in an emergency draw.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The gun must be in a belt or shoulder holster. And that it may be on or around your person. The gun is in a belt holster the holster just isn't mounted to a belt. It's mounted to a console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting interpretation.

Wonder what the legal definition of "carried" is.

I think the law requiring concealment is stupid, but I also doubt your interpretation would hold up.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    We'll see. I make it a point to not piss cops off and I don't see them going overboard on me because I have my pistol secured in a holster that happens to be bolted to my center console instead of mounted directly to my belt. Seems like a better alternative to floating around in my glove box, center console, or inaccessible on my belt.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Seems like a better alternative to floating around in my glove box, center console, or inaccessible on my belt.

it is indeed a better alternative, but the law doesn't necessarily care about alternatives.

What would he do if I had a rifle in the back seat?

LTC does not apply to long guns.

Anyway, YG covered the rest. Good luck, I sincerely hope it doesn't get you in trouble. Now, in the meantime, go clean out those nasty-ass cupholders. LOL

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I regret not having a bigger pushed to remove the concealed requirement from the MPA this year.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I would have mounted it to the interior roof.

My 2¢...

I was pulled over about 35 yrs. ago, while on my GS1000L.
    It was night, and mosquitoes were out, so the Trooper said to go sit in his car. I remember looking up and seeing what I thought was an M16.
    Surprised wouldn't quite describe it, lol.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
    (a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
    (1) the handgun is in plain view, unless the person is licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and the handgun is carried in a shoulder or belt holster;

Key words: or about his person, in a shoulder or belt holster
    Sounds logical to me that a belt holster mounted to your dash or console would be legal if you are licensed to carry a handgun.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    This has been debated before. I remember I asked about it lol.

The end result was this is one of the items that will need to be taken to court to get a real ruling on.

I am not willing to take the bullet and be the test case.

I thank you for being the willing participant and hope you do not have to ever spend the funds to defend your self.

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    Key words: or about his person, in a shoulder or belt holster
    Sounds logical to me that a belt holster mounted to your dash or console would be legal if you are licensed to carry a handgun.

Yeah, it's vague enough for you to beat the rap but not the ride. Ask Matefrio.

One could argue if a holster is not on your belt but is actually mounted to a console, it is in fact not a belt holster but a console holster. Console holsters are not in the wording of the law.

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    My Dad used to carry his pistol (when he was still paying payroll with cash) in a rumpled paper sack on the front seat. No one ever knew it was there and it was super accessible! And it broke no laws! Whenever he got out of the vehicle, he took the sack, (with the gun in it), with him.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    D54G
    Top Bottom