• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Guess I was too many beers deep on my last post, sorry. I still don't think you need a license if it is a friend's family land and you are hunting them because they are a nuisance and destroying the land, which wouldn't be hard to argue. If you actually want to keep them that appears to be a different story. As others have posted though, you might as well keep a current license always for the price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    Venture Surplus ad

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I've looked into this a number of times. My conclusion is that the laws and regs are, at best, inconsistent. In one place, they define feral hogs as exotics, which require a license to hunt but generally have few other rules such as specific seasons or times of day. In other places, it specifically states that no license is required for landowners or landowners agents taking depredating feral hogs.

https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/hunting-licenses-and-permits

A hunting license is not required to hunt the following:

• Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land.

Now, I don't know of any feral hog that doesn't cause depredation, and I don't know how you eradicate them without "hunting" them, and I don't know what constitutes "hunting" vs. "eradication" or whatever other word you want to use because afaik the tactics are essentially the same. I've heard and read anecdotal stories that it's up to the local game warden to decide. I don't like that. If I'm wearing camouflage pants I'm hunting, but if I'm in my Wranglers I'm not? If I go out at night looking for them I'm hunting but if I happen to drive by a sounder in the pasture one afternoon and whip out the 30-30 from behind the seat I'm not? Do I have to actually catch the hog in the act of "depredating" or can I assume that he just did or will soon? I don't know, and while by all indications Texas game wardens are a pretty fair bunch of folks, I don't like leaving these things up to the whims of a bureaucracy.

Anyway, I get that it's only $25 for a hunting license and it goes to support a lot of good things, so why not just get it and not worry. But I also get that these feral hogs are causing massive destruction and problems virtually everywhere so why not just let people shoot the damn things without worrying about whether they need a license or not, especially landowners on their own private land.

So I guess I can't offer the OP any good answers other than to say that it's not as cut and dried as some seem to think, and he's not the only one that's been confused by this.

btw, I have never heard that if you don't have a license you have to leave a shot hog where it drops and/or that you can't process it into food. Perhaps that "advice" came from a random game warden, which would be all the more reason for TPWD to clear this up.

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Guess I was too many beers deep on my last post, sorry. I still don't think you need a license if it is a friend's family land and you are hunting them because they are a nuisance and destroying the land, which wouldn't be hard to argue. If you actually want to keep them that appears to be a different story. As others have posted though, you might as well keep a current license always for the price.

"Although feral hogs are not classified as game animals, a hunting license is required to hunt them."

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/nuisance/feral_hogs/

Tap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    See Dash's quoted section directly above yours. I guess we could keep quoting the same two things over and over though. I would just buy the license if you are worried about it and don't have one already.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think the problem with it is when it comes to hunting on a "friends" land. Or even "eradicating". The law specifically states legality for the land owner, land owners agent, or lessee.

I guess the definition of "land owners against" could be debated, by I think the $25 would be cheaper. Or sign a lease for $10 a year and run squirrels on the property...

I'll just get a license unless they are destroying my land. Got a license anyways so......

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Get a license. Just do it. The game wardens don't care what you thought.
    Ive hunted hogs with everything from 22 pistols to a 25-06 browning a bolt. I prefer a semi auto center fire with cheap ammo. An ar or Ak would be great. Semi auto 22s have been what I use the most.

Top Bottom