• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I'll beg to differ. They are traffic laws. And please clarify how they are "illegally" set too low.

Speed limits are based on several factors which determine what the optimum fastest speed should be on a given road.
    If they were traffic laws, you would be in criminal court to defend yourself when you got a ticket. But you're charged in civil court with a rule violation. Also, you would find laws that set speed limits. But you won't find laws setting speed limits on streets. The closest you can get in law is the "reasonable and prudent": https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/docs/TN/htm/TN.545.htm#545.351 (and there is no mention of any requirement under law to follow posted speed limits, just reasonable and prudent speed and controlling the vehicle to avoid collision on a highway.

Prima facie speed limits (the next section) establish a general presumption of the upper limit of "reasonable and prudent" for different classes of roads, and any variation is only allowed on highways and requires an engineering and traffic investigation and report to the state. In many cases those are not completed, which means that the local government violated state law in setting a speed limit there.
    https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/docs/TN/htm/TN.545.htm#545.352

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    If they were traffic laws, you would be in criminal court to defend yourself when you got a ticket. But you're charged in civil court with a rule violation. Also, you would find laws that set speed limits. But you won't find laws setting speed limits on streets. The closest you can get in law is the "reasonable and prudent": https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/docs/TN/htm/TN.545.htm#545.351 (and there is no mention of any requirement under law to follow posted speed limits, just reasonable and prudent speed and controlling the vehicle to avoid collision on a highway.

Prima facie speed limits (the next section) establish a general presumption of the upper limit of "reasonable and prudent" for different classes of roads, and any variation is only allowed on highways and requires an engineering and traffic investigation and report to the state. In many cases those are not completed, which means that the local government violated state law in setting a speed limit there.
    https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/docs/TN/htm/TN.545.htm#545.352
    Well, I'll leave it up to smarter people than myself to argue over the semantics of whether speeding is breaking the law or not, or whether speed limits are "illegal"

Personally, I have zero reason to go faster than the posted speed limit.

• Haha
    Reactions: BBL

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have zero reason to go faster, I just like to....
    I use to enjoy driving fast, but a few close calls woke me up and made me realize the possible outcome just wasn't worth the risk anymore. Also know a few people that tempted the fates one time too many. One ended up living the rest of his life as a vegetable, and another in a wheelchair, paralyzed from the waist down. There are worse things than getting killed in an accident.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Well, I'll leave it up to smarter people than myself to argue over the semantics of whether speeding is breaking the law or not, or whether speed limits are "illegal"

Personally, I have zero reason to go faster than the posted speed limit.
    Oh I don't really speed either. My vehicle is too big and going too fast gets really expensive. I'm usually happy to camp in the slow lane now, and I don't mind moving to the shoulder to let people pass me.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I use to enjoy driving fast, but a few close calls woke me up and made me realize the possible outcome just wasn't worth the risk anymore. Also know a few people that tempted the fates one time too many. One ended up living the rest of his life as a vegetable, and another in a wheelchair, paralyzed from the waist down. There are worse things than getting killed in an accident.

Well, at least I'm no longer doing 180+ on 2 wheels...

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Adrenaline is a hell of a drug. I don't even wanna think what the splatter would look like if you had a blow out or some jackass cut you off at that speed.

Oh, I agree.
    Blowouts are a possibility, but I only did that in the country, with no crossroads.
    Of course, an animal could always make for a bad day, lol.

I was fortunate, all my wrecks were probably under 50-60.

Lazyfaire

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    New Braunfels
    If fewer people feel the need for an LTC, then I should be moving up in the line. If you do not have an LTC then you will not be able to concealed carry in other states that have a reciprocity agreement with Texas.

Lazyfaire

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    New Braunfels
    Lazyfaire - (from Fr, laissez-faire) “Let (people) do (as they choose).”
    Haha. True

EVERYONE wants to be left alone. The problems arise when someone else doesn't agree/do what the person wants/thinks they should do. Its the cause of much of our troubles today.

p.s. If you aren't sure of what to think, just hit reply and I'll tell you! (all sarcasm. Leave the button alone!!)

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Oh, I agree.
    Blowouts are a possibility, but I only did that in the country, with no crossroads.
    Of course, an animal could always make for a bad day, lol.

I was fortunate, all my wrecks were probably under 50-60.
    Chest first into a 7" Palm tree at 60 gets you deaded too,
    Just ask my brother in law

The psychic told my sister who do you know that would be walking around a palm tree saying F-Me F-Me F-Me

And the psychic had no knowledge of the event. She happened to meet my sister though a friend .

Rip Big Mike

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    A car pulling in front of you while doing 30 and wearing a helmet is what got my cousin. Died instantly when he hit the road according to the ME.

Something is going to get all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Truck put my left peg into his rear tire at 60, its a long complicated thing that without diagrams no way it will convey in text lol.

I ended up doing superman across the asphalt for almost 75 yards my jacket was fine so I had to be flying :).

Helmet first into the curb a good 3"long gash in the helmet down to the 2nd or third layer tumbled like a rag doll.

Sat up pulled my helmet and tossed it. Told the crowd please pick up my bike its leaking gas lol.

Ask a witness to remove my left boot and watched my foot fall over to the left with a loud crunchy grinding noise before he touched it.

Left leg was broken 3 places due to the truck tire. I did not have 1 scratch or broken skin anywhere.

Bikes are so fun

Top Bottom