• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/01/17/1462051/nra-background-checks/?mobile=nc

KEENE: The NRA has been one of the biggest supporters of the so-called NICS [National Instant Criminal Background Check] system which provides background checks. In the past, when they were talking about checks at gun shows, most guns sold at gun shows do involve a background check because they are sold by licensed dealers.

CBS HOST NORAH O’DONNELL: But 40 percent of guns are from private sales.
    KEENE: Most of those aren’t at gun shows. [...] At the gun shows we suggested to the Bureau of Tobacco and firearms some years ago if they want everyone who has an exchange checked all they have to do is provide a booth and do it. They said no we weren’t interested in that, we weren’t going to fund it.
    The difficulty comes in when you’re talking about you and me as next-door neighbors and you buy a new shotgun and want to sell one to me. How do you enforce a background check on that? We want to see the proposal. As a general proposition, the NRA has been very supportive of doing background checks through purchasers on the instant system.
    Guns International

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    CBS HOST NORAH O’DONNELL: But 40 percent of guns are from private sales.

What I find amazing is how they can make something up, and then MSM runs with it like Gospel.

43 times more likely....

40% of gun sales do not background check.

70% of NRA members are in favor.

THis is all phony make believe stats.

Bobk

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Seguin
    Talking about being taken out of context, "One of his fears: that a universal background check for anyone purchasing a firearm - the first of Mr. Obama's suggestions today - would lead to a national tracking registry of gun owners. That, in turn, Keene said, could give way to "forced buybacks," or, door-to-door confiscation of specific weapons by the government.
    "In other words, 'I have a record that you have a shotgun, and you're going to sell it to the government, or else,'" Keene said. "That's the equivalent of confiscation."

NRA president: Door-to-door gun confiscation a "legitimate fear" - Political Eye - CBS News

Prothos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    it doesnt bother me for them to cave on the background check if they hold firm on the assault weapon ban and hi cap mag ban

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Yeah. They sure worked wonders when the boys in DC told the FFLs that Loughner, Cho, and the joker were all A-Ok to sell to.

Give up a little more of your freedom. We'll keep you safe. I promise it'll work this time. Just give up those 30rd mags, go down to 10 and you'll be safe. Wait 10 didn't work, give those up and go down to 7 and you'll be safe I swear! Oops now you're only allowed 1 shot. Heck why do you need a gun anyway. Turn them all in.

I have an issue with anything that Kenyan bastard signs because I know his real motive is not to make the US safer or fight crime but to advance his radical communist ideology, disarm and ultimately punish those who don't agree with his rule.

Look at the whole space shuttle debacle. You got to be shitting me. Mission fucking control doesn't get a shuttle ? That incident alone tells you everything you need to know about his character or lack thereof. His motives are so transparent if you just open your eyes. Every decision he makes and every document he signs is to further divide the country and punish the opposition and reward his minions.

I don't buy his BS and neither should the NRA. They should continue to emphasize the armed guards in schools because they might actually make a difference.

It's ok we have a complete saturn 5...

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    If background checks kept guns out of the hands of the wrong people, we would institute them for MJ, Heroin, MEth, and everything else.

But guess what? They do not do jack shit to stop the wrong people from getting guns.

But as an FFL, I look forward to picking up an extra $50 for all FTF transfers!
    First off I wrote - "maybe this will actually help", I did not type that it would put an end to it. Second, I did not see anything in the article posted that had to do with FTF transfers, (I'm assuming you're referencing private sales?) When purchasing through a dealer we do BG checks anyway. Third, how does it harm you, me or anyone else purchasing a firearm to have any mental illness issues flagged upon a BG check? If you have a clean record then no problem, no different than how it's set up now. I have absolutely no idea what point you're trying to make with your comment on drugs in relation to a BG check for a firearm, those are two separate subjects each with their own set of issues.

Last edited:

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Yeah. They sure worked wonders when the boys in DC told the FFLs that Loughner, Cho, and the joker were all A-Ok to sell to.

Give up a little more of your freedom. We'll keep you safe. I promise it'll work this time. Just give up those 30rd mags, go down to 10 and you'll be safe. Wait 10 didn't work, give those up and go down to 7 and you'll be safe I swear! Oops now you're only allowed 1 shot. Heck why do you need a gun anyway. Turn them all in.

I have an issue with anything that Kenyan bastard signs because I know his real motive is not to make the US safer or fight crime but to advance his radical communist ideology, disarm and ultimately punish those who don't agree with his rule.

Look at the whole space shuttle debacle. You got to be shitting me. Mission fucking control doesn't get a shuttle ? That incident alone tells you everything you need to know about his character or lack thereof. His motives are so transparent if you just open your eyes. Every decision he makes and every document he signs is to further divide the country and punish the opposition and reward his minions.

I don't buy his BS and neither should the NRA. They should continue to emphasize the armed guards in schools because they might actually make a difference.
    Hmm.... Apparently I missed something in the article posted by the OP.

AggieRob93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Alamo City
    They are in place for licensed dealers, not private sales. I'll let it slide this time since you are an Aggie... Boomer Sooner!

And in my opinion, Grampa Sooner, that's how it should remain. I will say the government certainly could (rather easily it would seem) regulate private sales at a public event, but perish the thought of further government intrusion into our already compromised "private" lives with policing private sales outside of a gun show. The only way this can happen is for the gun owning citizenry of these United States to further relinquish a grip (small as many may consider it to be) on the 2nd amendment by allowing the government to do so.

I don't care to see the further trampling of individual rights, especially in this regard.

Oh, and Gig 'em!

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    You're all right Rob. Thankfully it will take an act of Congress to make it happen, at least we have time to contact our reps. so our voices may be heard.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Hmm.... Apparently I missed something in the article posted by the OP.

The something is that there was nothing a background check would have found to disqualify Cho, Loughner, or Holmes. Background checks are completely irrelevant in Lanza's case because he stole the guns he used.

None of the first 3 shooters were convicted felons or had a judge declare them insane. They were not prohibited individuals under federal law. They passed the NICS checks run by the FFLs they bought their guns from. So how would a more thorough check have changed anything?

They can't just say everyone who has seen a shrink is now prohibited. The whole 5th amendment due process thing, which is why a judge has to declare a person insane. Remember the wording of that question from the 4473 ?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom