• ...and so much more!
  • mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I recently joined the NRA. I figured it was the loudest voice in a choir of rhetoric taking place in Washington these days. I've never been anti-NRA, just anti-PAC.

What I didn't sign up for is the neverending e-mail spam and junk mail in my inbox. I typically just trash it.

Today I get a Personal Defense DVD in the mail ... unsolicited ... but requires me to return it in order to a) not get charged for it and b) stop future installments of the DVD video series. Anyone else remember the "music clubs" of the 70s and 80s? Same premise ...

I sent a nasty-gram to the NRA.

For those long-time members ... is this normal?
    Hurley's Gold

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    That is odd. I get occasional mail from the NRA and some email but I have not experienced spam or unsolicited materials sent to my house.

I never opt in for third party offers on anything and I remember the opt out being a part of the renewal last time. Perhaps you missed either checking or unchecking a box opting in/out when you signed up.

I would just contact them and talk to them civilly about it. There's no reason to get ugly with them just yet over something that may have been your fault to begin with.

If they fail to correct the issue or to walk you through correcting the issue through your member control panel, then would be the time to get ugly.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Normal for new members.

One way the NRA raises dollars is to deluge their members with tons of scare-mail.

As a life member, I just shred it and forget about it.

Every member can contact the member service and "opt out" of those mailings and phone calls.

I haven't, because now and then either the NRA-ILA or NRA-PVF needs monetary support I am willing to give.

What I like about the NRA is that they are a single issue organization. They don't make alliances with other groups, unless it winds up before the Supreme Court and serves the interests of the NRA membership 100%.

Harry Reid is owned by the NRA. That is why he has not said peep about gun control since he's been in the Senate.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Of the hundreds of boxes to check in the "get to know you" questionaire, I guess it's possible I missed the one that said "Please send me all possible junk mail and NRA products regardless of any costs".

I was OK with the normal crap, but sending me product that required a response to keep from being charged is just wrong.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I recently joined the NRA. I figured it was the loudest voice in a choir of rhetoric taking place in Washington these days. I've never been anti-NRA, just anti-PAC.

What I didn't sign up for is the neverending e-mail spam and junk mail in my inbox. I typically just trash it.

Today I get a Personal Defense DVD in the mail ... unsolicited ... but requires me to return it in order to a) not get charged for it and b) stop future installments of the DVD video series. Anyone else remember the "music clubs" of the 70s and 80s? Same premise ...

I sent a nasty-gram to the NRA.

For those long-time members ... is this normal?

Read the disclaimer just above the box where you put your payment. Says something about a guarantee.

Anyways, in that small box it says that it is not a bill and since you did not request the DVD you can keep it as a free gift.

The letter is VERY misleading and that box is the only place they admit that you don't have to pay for it OR send it back.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    I don't care for the spam in my inbox, either, since I stay independently well-informed on gun issues to filter the good and bad bias out. I just joined for the insurance, the $25 Bass Pro gift card, and to support the cause.

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    It is difficult to hear the bitching and moaning about the NRA, when about 2 1/2 million members do the heavy lifting for the sick, lame, and lazy who want a gun but won't fight for the right to own it.

If you have a gun and won't join the NRA, just give it up.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Read the disclaimer just above the box where you put your payment. Says something about a guarantee.

Anyways, in that small box it says that it is not a bill and since you did not request the DVD you can keep it as a free gift.

The letter is VERY misleading and that box is the only place they admit that you don't have to pay for it OR send it back.

And it shouldn't be misleading.

Misleading leads me to believe they are looking to fleece the misinformed or uninformed. Sounds like any other politician ...

I know many of you are staunch NRA members .... and God bless you and I respect your belief system.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I wasn't defending the tactic they use, I don't like it and only found the box while searching for a number I could call to pay them and tell them not to send anymore.

I will still support them because I need them to do what they do in DC but I don't like all of their methods for raising money.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    And I wan't targeting you for anything ... I guess it was misleading because I quoted you ... ;)

It is difficult to hear the bitching and moaning about the NRA, when about 2 1/2 million members do the heavy lifting for the sick, lame, and lazy who want a gun but won't fight for the right to own it.

So let me understand what you just posted ...

From your POV, without an NRA license, I shouldn't be allowed to own a gun? Really?

How is that so different from manadatory gun registration?

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    I got the same dvd, I just called and asked them not to send anymore, and they said I could keep the first one at no charge.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i've never gotten any junk mail from them - but have heard from others that have. not sure why i'm lucky enough to have been excluded from that gift :)

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX

Really? Give up his gun if he won't join the NRA or chooses to drop his membership because he is bombarded with junk mail and underhanded sales tactics? Hope that is not your normal recruiting sales pitch.

tdwhite03

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    San Antonio

Bullshit! I own guns and support several pro gun organizations. I write, email, and call my reps to voice my concerns often.

The NRA does lobby and is pro gun BUT they are not the end all be all of the gun world.

Call me a lazy bitching lame sick gun owner if you want, but I DO more than send money to an organization that's spends my money on junk mail!

Top Bottom