• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Morning! Beautiful day.

Tear down almost complete. Time to frame up some walls and move some plumbing.

IMG_0221.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0221.JPG
      IMG_0221.JPG
      1.2 MB · Views: 246

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I think I have that same vacuum.

And damn, I'm impressed. That'd take me forever to get that done. Looks like your son is OK but I'm sorry that happened. You can tell just looking at it that was an awful shower design.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think I have that same vacuum.

And damn, I'm impressed. That'd take me forever to get that done. Looks like your son is OK but I'm sorry that happened. You can tell just looking at it that was an awful shower design.
    Yeah it's a shark. We've have got our money out of it 10 fold. It takes a lickin and keeps tickin.

My wife helped. We're pretty much WFO on projects. We work well together.

There are many flagrancy issues with this shower. But, momma was pregnant when we built the house. She wanted in it before the due date. We rushed it. We should have blew the whistle, threw the flag and fired their butts.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just a FWIW: liability exposure, when building both custom and spec homes, as well as designing and building ADA baths, dictated being very concerned with mitigating the possibility of client's slipping on the shower floors we installed.

Being that there really is no such thing as "slip proof" tile, regardless of marketing claims ... the key to providing a safer tile shower floor for me was to use a smaller, square tile (regardless of the type).

IOW, tile preferably cut between 2"-4" square ... and on the smaller end of that range if you really want to be safer in a shower for the young, the elderly and/or disabled.

Rationale is that the 'grout-to-tile ratio' increases with the smaller tile (as well as the overall amount of space in between the tiles), thereby decreasing the amount of "slippery" surface to the average human foot considerably.

You're probably already aware of that, but just in case ... and hey, more bytes are free. Just sometimes annoy the inmates. ;)
    Damn good point Karl. I explained this to my wife after reading your post and we both agreed that makes perfect sense. I've experienced this, but never gave it any thought as to "why" the shower floor wasn't so slick apposed to the other.

We're wanting to go back with something like this. Do you think it would provide good grip? Seems like a good grout ratio.
    100517028_samos-honed-pebble-mosaic_main?w=500&h=500&img404=404&v=1.jpg

Attachments

• 100517028_samos-honed-pebble-mosaic_main?w=500&h=500&img404=404&v=1.jpg
      100517028_samos-honed-pebble-mosaic_main?w=500&h=500&img404=404&v=1.jpg
      40.6 KB · Views: 290

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Morning
    VA appt.
    BP already going up in anticipation ...

Dayum, that was fast!?
    Very un VA like - actually saw Doc 20 minutes BEFORE appt.
    ... and the other shoe ain't dropped, yet.

That's a first in 46 years!
    Gonna blame it on Trump ... Thank you, sir!

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Damn good point Karl. I explained this to my wife after reading your post and we both agreed that makes perfect sense. I've experienced this, but never gave it any thought as to "why" the shower floor wasn't so slick apposed to the other.

We're wanting to go back with something like this. Do you think it would provide good grip? Seems like a good grout ratio.
    View attachment 163925

Judging from photo I would say yes, you should see a big difference in increased grip with that layout.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great start ...
    Are you gonna have to mess with the shower pan?
    I was thinking about leaving the pan. It looks OK. I managed to get the drain loose and unscrewed it. Seems I have room to do the new layer on top of the old tile. Am I crazy for going this route?

I was thinking seal the old pan with this https://www.acehardware.com/departm...MI--HA15rX4AIV0LrACh3aoQoQEAQYASABEgJlX_D_BwE

Then a layer of this https://www.amazon.com/Mapei-Prim-G...ocphy=9060266&hvtargid=pla-570175718811&psc=1

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

View attachment 163925

We had similar in our CO house. Grippiest surface I’ve ever stepped on in a shower.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    I was thinking about leaving the pan. It looks OK. I managed to get the drain loose and unscrewed it. Seems I have room to do the new layer on top of the old tile. Am I crazy for going this route?

I was thinking seal the old pan with this https://www.acehardware.com/departm...MI--HA15rX4AIV0LrACh3aoQoQEAQYASABEgJlX_D_BwE

Then a layer of this https://www.amazon.com/Mapei-Prim-G...ocphy=9060266&hvtargid=pla-570175718811&psc=1
    No need for any of that crap.

The drain is already sealed to the pan below the tile/mud layer. If its not leaking/causing any problems then it will be fine. If the drain will screw outwards enough to allow the new floor then it will be fine. Putting the new floor on top will be fine. Do a light ammonia wash to remove soap scum, a little rinse and hit it with thinset and get after it.

If its currently draining properly to suit you then that is a great added bonus of not having to tear out the floor. No need to worry about slope, once again, just get after it.

You know how to lay the tile? If you have questions just ask.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Upstairs or down?

Tile over tile will work, but prep is important if you do that. Knocking down high spots with a grinder and sanding with a coarse grit (80) will be a minimum. Also, a leak test is imperative.

And yes, RedGard is good stuff. AMMOF, even with a membrane shower pan, I always use hardibacker board on the shower walls, and ceiling, and then Redgard the whole wall shooting match. See below, on a redgard job out of state:

Although some municipalities in Texas require a membrane, I've used RedGard to good effect in a couple of bath remodels where it is allowed, mostly out of state.

Places like Arkansas shower pans are generally not done by plumbers, as is common in Texas, but instead by tile contractors ... they use RedGard almost exclusively IME. Basically, you can't go wrong using it.

For a successful install, the most important thing to keep in mind is to operate under the concept that a shower pan is part of the plumbing system, and all plumbing requires a leak test.

I always insist on at least a 24 hour leak test for a shower pan, regardless of method. You can pickup a leak test bladder at one of the Borgs. Looks like this before tile set:

RedgardShwr.JPG

Attachments

• RedgardShwr.JPG
      RedgardShwr.JPG
      83.6 KB · Views: 389
    Last edited:

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    OK dumb question, what are you looking for when you leak test a shower pan? Leaking onto the surrounding bathroom floor?
    Yep. Gotta watch for damp wood etc cause if its leaking around the drain-to-pan connector it could just be creeping slightly.

....or of course theres the telltale water mark on the downstairs ceiling...:green:

Good details in Karlac's writings. I forget the fact that "I know about this" and tend to leave details out. Not good. I like the way it comes across in Karlac's posts.

I also admit its been 25 years since I did this and the technology has come a LOOONG ways on sealers and such. HardiBoard was just coming out as I left that industry.

This weekend....

IMG_0434.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0434.jpg
      IMG_0434.jpg
      81.6 KB · Views: 197
    Top Bottom