O/U Shotguns - Favorites <$1k

JohnnyBoyy

Oct 31, 2013
I love the O/U look but the ones I've found with a nice wood stock all cost more then my truck.

Any recommendations for <$1k???

reddog

Jul 19, 2013
Look for the older Charles Daly's from the early 70's, sort of the hidden jems of the O/U world in my opinion. They are made by Mirkou in Japan, the company that took the same gun for all practical purposes and slapped the Browning name on when they moved production from Belgium. I just picked up a LNIB, Superior Trap for under $900, gun was made in '76 and is a better gun IMO than anything I could buy new today at twice the price. Anyway excellent quality, I've owned several and still do. There are several on gun broker right now, take a look..

JohnnyBoyy

Oct 31, 2013
Look for the older Charles Daly's from the early 70's, sort of the hidden jems of the O/U world in my opinion. They are made by Mirkou in Japan, the company that took the same gun for all practical purposes and slapped the Browning name on when they moved production from Belgium. I just picked up a LNIB, Superior Trap for under $900, gun was made in '76 and is a better gun IMO than anything I could buy new today at twice the price. Anyway excellent quality, I've owned several and still do. There are several on gun broker right now, take a look..
Damnit, this advice is definitely going to cost me some money. Some of those guns are beautiful and right in my range.

Andy

Sep 13, 2013
Dallas, TX
I have a 26" Charles Daly Venture (which is their Field grade) by Miroku - it's a shooter.

I had the comb bent away 1/4" to suit me better - and had the muzzles threaded by Briley for screw-in chokes (as they came with fixed Imp Cyl and Mod chokes and I needed more flexibility).

Last edited:

Sz20DF

Oct 14, 2013
Houston
I believe the new Red Label is out or do out shortly. Hoping to find one for less than or around a $1000.....

JohnnyBoyy

Oct 31, 2013
I found a few red labels for sale...they look to be a hair over $1k.

Are there any with wood stocks, I've only found synthetic.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 16, 2008
Houston
People either love or hate the Ruger RL, mainly due to its balance. I bought mine used from a guy who hated it. Turns out I hated it to. Moral: try before you buy. I hope Ruger has made some changes with the new RL.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
Feb 19, 2013
Austin, TX
Don't know where you live at, but there were 3 or 4 at Storied Firearms in South Austin about a week ago. Priced somewhere between 150 and 300.

Acera

TGT Addict
Jan 17, 2011
Republic of Texas
Check into the CZ Woodcocks. They are not made anymore, but plenty still on the dealer shelves. Gunbroker usually has a few offered from a guy in Victoria. Good wood, case hardened receivers, pretty guns.

Top Bottom