• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Seems like a lot of discussion regarding these types of threads always include justification as to how a CHL holder can shoot some idiot with a gun without getting into trouble! Unless he/she is up close and I have no cover or means of escape, I'm probably NOT gonna' shoot at someone with a gun. That's not to say that if he/she had hostages and started executing them that I wouldn't do what I could to save a life. Makes me thing of the guy in West Texas many years ago that had a DPS trooper on the ground at a rest stop (or nearby) and was about to execute him. A hunter and his son a short distance away saw what happening and the hunter nailed the shooter with his deer rifle. I'd be OK with that situation.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    IHOP= I am stuck in a restaurant with a guy shooting people.
    Houston =There is a guy outside who is not shooting people and I am not trapped in a restaurant with him.

brnmuenchow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    San Antonio
    As a CHL holder, just as long as he keeps it pointed at his own head, I don't think I would do anything. I would however have my hand in the ready position just in case that gun stray's.

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    CHL holder....seek cover

+1. Engaging would be a good way to get shot by the cops that don't know you from Adam. That's why they wear uniforms.

There will be exceptions to this but my first reaction would be to try to seek cover and aid others to do the same. Then evaluate the situation and try to stop the threat with out endangering yourself or others any further.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I think the media said it was a unregistered 50 caliber AK-47 with a 500 round "clip", loaded with armor-piercing-incendiary-nuclear tipped-nonhunting rounds, that he bought at a local convenience store with no paperwork or background check that he had modified to full auto with some dental floss and a hair pin.

(He might have even made the bullets vastly more deadly by scratching an "X" across the top of them, but that is not confirmed.)

I nominate this for the freakin' post of the YEAR!

SWJewellTN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LaVergne,TN
    As a former LEO, I have a problem with gunning someone down who's clearly threatening no one but their self when I have my ass safely behind a concrete wall. They weren't protecting their selves or anyone else for that matter. I think the PD will get owned in litigation.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    As a former LEO, I have a problem with gunning someone down who's clearly threatening no one but their self when I have my ass safely behind a concrete wall. They weren't protecting their selves or anyone else for that matter. I think the PD will get owned in litigation.

You're a former LEO, and you think allowing a NUT with an AK to roam ANY place in a downtown location as he exhibits bizarre behaviour "acceptable" as he ignores orders to put the gun down, and instead not only waves it about, but discharges it in ANY direction?!???

God help us.......because in my day, he'd have been done.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas

What would your strategy be, wait till he falls asleep to act?

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    so, as a CHL holder you see a guy like that...
    engage or retreat?

I'm of the mindset only fools rush in to that type of situation as civilians.
    Grab my family/Friends and retreat. Video from safe spot behind cover.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX

I agree in part.

This is where a TASER may have been appropriate.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    makes me think of the video where a sniper shot a pistol out of a guys hand who was attempting suicide by cop. To many variable in a situation like this to say what i might have done and the video doesnt play on my phone, if my family were there my first priority would be getting them to safety.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    You're a former LEO, and you think allowing a NUT with an AK to roam ANY place in a downtown location as he exhibits bizarre behaviour "acceptable" as he ignores orders to put the gun down, and instead not only waves it about, but discharges it in ANY direction?!???

+1. This guy was bought and paid for when he entered a busy area waving around an AK or whatever he had. clean shoot...case closed.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    When someone is using deadly force, you use deadly force. You dont take a TASER to a gun fight.
    Waving a gun around a crowd is a deadly threat. Officer wont get owned, nor should his department, but in Houston who knows.

Except he wasn't using deadly force on anything.

The issue, that you missed and I didn't, was that he could easily, and quickly have pointed the gun at a LEO or a bystander and it could have turned into a worse situation almost instantly.

I also never said it was a bad shoot.

I did say and still say that less than lethal force may have solved the problem, or it may not have.

Since these are LEOs and the guy wasn't pointing the gun at them or anyone else, it would have been an option and should have been considered.

I am not even saying that I would have done it differently.

That said, the LEOs solved the problem wihtout anyone else getting injured.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX

Well remember, you could be that nut since it isn't agasint the law to carry a rifle in downtown houston.

It wouldn't take much for the government to decide that ANYONE who carries a rifle openly is a "NUT".

I am simply commenting on your statement, not this situation as this guy was shooting into the air and acting the fool.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Except he wasn't using deadly force on anything.
    He was threatening deadly force by his actions. Chapter 9 of the Penal Code clearly shows the use of deadly force was justified. To each his own...in that scenario I wouldn't have considered a TASER. Now, a man with a knife, or some other short range deadly weapon? Maybe. Gun? Never.

Its always hard to 2nd guess when you werent there. Seeing the dead guy's behavior I give the benefit of the doubt to the police.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    and once he had been shot....he lunged for the rifle again. Which to me, shows he had bad intensions. I think it was handled as it should have been.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angee
    Top Bottom