OK moved back to TX... what's the law nowadays?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    So I moved back here (Austin) from Mississippi where the current law is "Constitutional Carry". They still have carry permits and "enhanced" stickers that you get after taking an 8 hour class which allows CC into places not allowed by the regular permit.

So here, you can open carry - subject the 30-07 signs but still have to have a permit to carry concealed right?

I got my permit when the law first passed back when I lived here - and renewed twice- having to take the class over each time....

Maybe just point me to a post link here - probably one that has all this....
    DK Firearms

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Couple things right off the bat. You have to have a LTC permit to open carry a handgun. And 30.06 signs control concealed carry. Texas doesn’t have Constitutional Carry {yet}.
    Transporting a handgun in a vehicle can’t be exposed. Texas has “duty to inform” the officer.
    LTC renewals can be accomplished ‘online’ now; no additional training requirements - just send them the money.

This article gives an overview with links to the actual Texas statues:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Texas

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Most everything you need to know is here:

https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/ltc/

You can open or conceal carry in your house or on your own property.

You can have a concealed handgun in your car or boat, so long as you own the car or the car is under your control.

30.06 & 51% signs restrict licensed persons open and concealed carry.
    30.07 signs restrict open carry by licensed persons.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Care to elaborate on the “duty to inform “?
    I do not recall that...

You must be new.

Texas CHL had a requirement you had to inform if asked for ID and carrying. Officer could not arrest you, he had to report you to DPS, and then they decided to take action or not.

After passage of MPA, it seemed silly to continue to require CHL to inform but non-CHL carrying under MPA did not. So Legislature removed the penalty for failing to inform.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    To Renegade’s response and due to the nature of the question asked, I would add the following is necessary to know about the phrase, “duty to inform”.

IF you travel to other states (i.e., outside Texas) while carrying, this is one of those laws/rules that is different between states and has the potential of getting you in big trouble if you don’t know that particular state’s law concerning “duty to inform”.

All states directly bordering Texas have a “duty to inform” except New Mexico. Some of these states consider it a serious matter to comply with this law.

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    It's an easy deal, (if asked) just show the police your driver's license and your license to carry.
    This is one of those nuances between states I was trying to convey. Not all states have the requirement to be asked before hand by the officer. Some states put the onus on the carrier (thus, the phrase ‘duty to inform’) to identify they’re packing “upon approach” by an officer acting in an official capacity. Can’t remember for sure, but Louisiana may be one of those kind of states.

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    The question about duty to inform didn’t come from the OP (post #9). Information was being supplied for those who travel to other states as I mentioned. More of a reciprocity issue than anything else.

Last edited:

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I have a sticker on one of my Jeeps that says "WARNING Easily Provoked and Heavily Armed", would that suffice to inform?

And on a serious note, it's on my occasionally driven Jeep and I would duly inform any peace officer, regardless of stickers.

Top Bottom