Old 12 Gauge with pictures

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by blueR32, Mar 1, 2008.

1. blueR32

blueR32 Member

Mar 1, 2008
    SA TX
    Hey guys. I'm new and have zero experience with firearms. I inherited this old double barrel 12 gauge when my Grandpa passed a couple of years ago. Story is, that it belonged to his grandfather.

Like I said, I have no knowledge of firearms and wanted to see if anyone could help identify any information about this particular shotgun. I'm not the best photographer, but took some pics this afternoon. The serial number appears 3 times and there is a name engraved on one side of.... I don't even know what the part is called. "Enders Royal Service" is what it looks to say. The overall length is 46.5 in. and just the barrel is 29.75 in. The entire thing is very sturdy. The only loose part is the lever to open it up for loading, but it opens & closes just fine.

*edit* I did find some info searching online. Not sure how the condition of this one would rate or if it would have been imported or made in America.

Thanks for any assistance.
    Clint

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. blueR32

blueR32 Member

Mar 1, 2008
    SA TX
    4 pics per post....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. blueR32

blueR32 Member

Mar 1, 2008
    SA TX
    sorry.... last 2 pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Enders Royal Service was a brand of shotgun from Crescent Arms. Yours has double hammers, and appears to be a full length as opposed to a "Coach gun".

One thing I can suggest is to lightly coat the exposed metal with some gun oil to keep it from corroding. Especially if you live in a high humidity climate.

I wouldn't suggest getting it refinished btw, most collectors I've seen tend to want the character left on the gun. The old tarnished look to me adds more to the gun.

5. zembonez

zembonez TGT Addict

Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I agree 100%. You don't want to lose the patina that took many years to create. Oil it and keep it clean... and original.

EDIT: "Enders Royal Service shotguns were distributed by H & D Folsom Arms Co to the hardware trade from c.1890-1920. Shotguns marked "Enders Royal Service" were made by the Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich Conn. They produced single and double barreled shotguns from about 1892 on. H & D Folsom Arms Co. secured control of the company about 1893 and retained control until 1932.

6. blueR32

blueR32 Member

Mar 1, 2008
    SA TX
    Thanks for the info. I've also read (today) that Crescent (Folsom) produced some of these weapons in the states and some were imported from Europe. They mentioned a barrel registration mark (or lack of one) to help ID where the original manufacture took place. Something else I found online...
    " Check the watertables of your shotguns....if it has proofmarks, it was imported. If not, it was American made."

Within the 30 year span that these were produced, do you guys think there's any way to pinpoint a specific year of manufacture? I'm guessing that since Crescent/Folsom is no longer around, it might be pretty difficult.

I'll keep researching & thanks for the guidance. As for cleaning & oiling. Should I find a local gunsmith for this type of work & should I be worried about driving around with this in my trunk? I don't have any kind of firearm permits.

7. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's not illegal as Texas is a Castle Doctrine state, meaning your vehicle is considered your "place of residence" at the time you are in it. So long as the gun is concealed you will be fine. If it's in the trunk, unloaded, and concealed then no police officer is going to give you crap for it unless he thinks it's stolen, or wants to be a raging wanker.

For oiling, go to Academy's or a local gun retailer and pick up some Hoppe's gun oil in a small bottle. Just soak a small rag with about a dime size amount and just rub it onto the exposed surface. It doesn't have to be soaked in it, just make sure it's got a thin film on it.

Cleaning is simply done with Q-tips and patches. Pick up a shotgun cleaning kit ($10 - 15) and it will come with a nice big patch rammer, and the rods. Soak the patch in gun oil and run it through each barrel once or twice. That'll get some of the old grime out of it and will keep the internal barrel from pitting.

It's real simple and cheap to maintain a firearm, and since you aren't shooting it then it'll be a check it once a year thing after the initial cleaning.

If you have alot of caked on junk that won't come off, try first applying a dot of oil to the caked on stuff and then wiping it down, or you can obtain some of the gun solvent stuff. I would think that dish soap would work fairly decent and be pretty soft on the metal as well, might want to look around first.

8. zembonez

zembonez TGT Addict

Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I'm pretty sure the imported ones were from Belgium at a time when weapons from that region were regarded as really high quality pieces. (not that they are not now). I think your date range is best determined by serial number. You just need to find the records or a good gun history book...

Really cool old shotgun. I'd hang on to it for sure.

9. drricktx

drricktx New Member

Feb 25, 2008
    San Marcos, TX
    Castle Doctrine

Alan said:

"It's not illegal as Texas is a Castle Doctrine state, meaning your vehicle is considered your "place of residence" at the time you are in it. So long as the gun is concealed you will be fine. If it's in the trunk, unloaded, and concealed then no police officer is going to give you crap for it unless he thinks it's stolen, or wants to be a raging wanker."

Alan, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Texas Law only applies to handguns. I've always been under the impression that you can put a rifle or shotgun up on the dash of your car, in full view, and it is not illegal. Thus the old gun rack in the back of the pickup thing that used to be so prevalent but has pretty much died out not due to being illegal but because the theives will end up with the gun in no time at all.

How about it, Forum...am I wrong on this???
    Rick

10. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's more of a practice of common sense.

Leaving any firearm exposed to view inside of a car is asking for it to be stolen, or asking to be bothered by a police officer.