• Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Austin, Tx
    I'm looking at buying my first Rifle.
    I've been researching and reading up on both,

I like the AK for the fact that it lasts without the upkeep,
    I take care of my kids (guns) but if some big conflict were to happen
    and didn't have the time or choice for the upkeep that is needed, the Ak would last
    but I've heard a lot of problems with the AK as far as accuracy.

Views?
    I've shot both and love em both, but want more experienced shooters views.
    ARJ Defense ad

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I'm more partial to my ak74 than my ar right now. Ammo's cheap, its accurate, and I don't have to clean it.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    The AK probably instill more fear into ones eyes due to its overhyped evil mankiller reputation. If I were a burglar and someone tried to defend themselves against me with an AR, I'd double check to make sure its not an airsoft gun. (remember, I'm a stupid criminal in this hypothetical situation)

However, if I saw an AK I'd run and GTFO ASAP lmao

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    The AK probably instill more fear into ones eyes due to its overhyped evil mankiller reputation. If I were a burglar and someone tried to defend themselves against me with an AR, I'd double check to make sure its not an airsoft gun. (remember, I'm a stupid criminal in this hypothetical situation)

However, if I saw an AK I'd run and GTFO ASAP lmao

in bold is where i would double tap you in the face.

(in the same hypothetical)

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Unless you've got at least $7,000 to play with, you'll not be getting an assault rifle.

Assault rifles are select fire infantry weapons.

As Stumpy asks, "What are you wantin' to do with it?"

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    “Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware.”

If I were to come whack you in the face with the butt of a Remington 700 30-06 huntin' gun....could that be deemed an assault rifle?

4836a142-c550-d95b.jpg

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    Okay easy now boys...
    I have had both AR and AK weapons.
    But as I turn my head to the right I see my AK leaning against the wall loaded with a 30 and 40 stacked mag set up. The AR was sold.
    Just my .02

tnt1106

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Dallas
    Honda (AK47) vs Porsche (AR15). Define usage and expectations.

Side note: By the time anyone has invaded my home, and is in range to see my weapon, they should have been blinded by my weapon light (under estimated tool to ID and dominate targets), and will be shot if I fear imminent threat BEFORE they have the chance to be intimidated by how my weapon "looks".

LAV has some excellent views on this tactic:
    Weapon Lights

Also to add if this is for interior home defense you may want to consider actual round characteristics as the 7.62 can possibly penetrate walls and other barriers much easier than 5.56 can. Look near the bottom of this WIKI for basic ballistic info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_AK-47_and_M16

Weight of the weapon is another consideration as well.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Don't think that ARs break down all the time. Besides they have become an INCREDIBLY popular rifle nowadays and finding spare parts isn't going to be any problem. Anything is going to break eventually and the more spare parts out there the better for you.

The flat top receiver is also probably the best optics base ever conceived so if you want to put an optic on your rifle that's a big plus. If you can keep all that tacticool Israeli plastic away from an AR, I think they are lighter than the AK which is awesome if you have to carry it around all day.

5.56 is also capable of a lot more damage than some people give it credit for. M193 which is the 55 grain ball ammo we used in Vietnam that will very likely fragment inside of a human within 100-150 yards. M855 is the 62 grain ball with a steel penetrator that is either still in use or was used up until recently. It usually fragments reliably inside of 100 yards, but probably works better at longer ranges than M193. Those two can be found on the market pretty easily, the M193 is the easiest and the cheapest. I think there are some 77 grain match type loads that are fragging in targets way out to 400+ yards. All this about fragmentation is great, but it's not 100%. There are some rounds for the LEO market that do an awesome job and use expansion which is more reliable than fragmentation, but those can be hard to find and aren't cheap. The .223 Wolf ammo is fine for plinking and training, but it's loaded pretty mild and the jackets on the bullets are really thick so the bullet stays more or less intact. I wouldn't use it for anything serious.

The AK really isn't as inaccurate as everyone says. It's good enough to hit someone somewhere where it hurts out to 3-400 yards. It's a good system too, but the AR is just a little bit more refined.

If you are going to get an AR, get a good one like a Colt 6920 and do some studying on what defense ammo you should get. It has a 1:7 twist barrel and can shoot any weight bullet out there accurately.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Jeep (AK47) vs Porsche (AR15).

That's a more correct comparison, I believe. The AK is a simple, dependable and very deadly rifle. Its looser tolerances make it more reliable but that decreases the accuracy slightly. The AR is more modern, has scores of modifications that can be made to it (hence the term 'Barbi rifle') and has much tighter tolerances which increase accuracy but does make them more susceptible to malfunctions due to minor issues whereas the AK will likely fire no matter what you do to it.

And the 7.62 vs 5.56 differences are also worth considering, the former does have a lot more "punch" behind it but does decrease the effective long-range of the rifle a bit. However, it is not meant to be a "sniper" rifle (another overused term); and unless you're planning on picking people off at 300+ yards there's really no need to be concerned about the ballistics of the 7.62 at that range.

Lastly, there's the matter of price. You can pick up a decent Romanian AK-47 for between $400-500, whereas an entry-level AR will likely be double that.

My choice is the AK, I spent my military career shooting the AR and it's a good rifle but I was always interested in the weapons of my adversary. So when it came time to spend my money, I went that route and am still very happy that I did. It is a fascinating rifle with an interesting history, and has done more to change the fate of the world than any other weapon out there! Some have called it the "ultimate weapon of mass destruction" but that is too negative of an outlook for me. Consider the number of countries that have defended themselves with Kalashnikov rifles over the years, and one can argue it has been just as much an instrument of peace as it has been of war. But the mere fact that it has turned up in every corner of the world, and is used by everyone from the Russian Spetznaz to child soldiers in Africa, leads me to believe it is still the weapon of choice. Plus, considering that the AR still had problems in Iraq and Afghanistan is enough to steer me to the one rifle that can be relied upon no matter where you take it. As Ordell Robbie so elegantly stated in Jackie Brown, "The AK-47, the very best there is! When you absolutely, positively got to kill every mother****** in the room, accept no substitutes!"

Cheers! M2

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    I was pretty impressed at iron sight accuracy of my Ak-74 firing the 5.45*39mm round, dirt cheap ammo, and very reliable.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Okay easy now boys...
    I have had both AR and AK weapons.
    But as I turn my head to the right I see my AK leaning against the wall loaded with a 30 and 40 stacked mag set up. The AR was sold.
    Just my .02
    It was opposite for me. I had an AK that was OK. I got my first AR and was shocked how much straighter and tighter it shot. I now have two ARs and no AKs. I hope someday to have another AK, but for now I'm happy with my ARs. Of course I'm thinking of trading one AR for one in 308 right now.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Yeah, if I ever get the urge to buy an AK, I'm getting one of you AK people to help me pick one out. .. . . that or just bite the bullet and get an Arsenal and spend just as much on a good AR.

You can buy a good AR for $900ish. You can get a cheap upper and a cheaper lower for around $600ish range.

I'm still a big fan of the .223/5.56, though I doubt I'd hate the 7.62x39.

I love my AR, but I'll probably buy some form of AK in the future.

Top Bottom