• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    Don't know if there is a thread already up for this, if not I will start one

Every time I hear Layla - Derek & The Dominos on the radio I get a strong smell car exhaust
    I can remember first hearing the song on the way to watch a thrill show & destruction derby at the Astrodome when I was young
    Ever sense then whenever I hear the song, I smell exhaust
    Capitol Armory ad

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We took a road trip to California when I was a kid. 8 maybe. Dad had early 80's Dodge cozy craft van. We listened to one tape the whole way. One side was The Spinners, the other side was Kenny Rogers. Anytime I hear any of those songs I'm instantly on the back bench seat of that van looking out the big windows cruising across I40 in wonder. I remember it perfectly, the sights, smells and sounds.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I listen to Pandora Radio a lot., Often when my back hurtsI'll lay down in bed & play it the the TV. I'm surprised just how much music I can name the song & band in the opening seconds that's its being played.

There are lots to many to list songs that when they start my brain stats play the into on
    Most Pink Floyd pre The Wall
    Robin Trower Bridge of Sighs
    Deep Purple Highway Star
    Most Frank Zappa
    Most Ten Years After
    Most Led Zeppelin
    Most Cream

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Whenever I hear Paint it Black, I hear inbound Hueys.

Those first drumbeats in Paint It Black always remind me of the mortar shells going off in the intro to "Tour of Duty" that were synchronized to the beat.

"My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" and "This Is The Last Cowboy Song" always remind me of my dad. Not because he was any kind of cowboy, but those two songs always seemed to be playing on KVET in his old black GMC truck when I was a kid. They're pretty much pure nostalgia for me.

And I get goosebumps when I hear bagpipes playing a march or a reel.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I relate many songs to people I've known from 30, 40 or more years ago. It's probably because they over-played those songs so much. One example is a girl (not girlfriend) that constantly played Journey so any Journey song reminds me of her. She married my friend that played Def Leppard constantly so he comes to mind with those songs. Johnny Cash reminds me of being of being in my dad's stale smoke filled pickup with speakers mounted on the ceiling by your ears and he would only barely crack the vent window. Nothing against Johnny but that's the only thing he played.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The Indian Love Song makes my head feel like it is about to burst...
    martian exploding.gif

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Not the only one, but Christopher Cross Ride Like the Wind. He was in my neighborhood in Austin when I was growing up. Drove by his house frequently. I think he was a two hit wonder. Anything by St. Elmo's Fire - saw them at Armadillo World Headquarters a long time ago.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Hold Your Head Up by Argent - I was in a bad place and a very tough situation. I drove down the road trying to get my head straight and for some reason the radio played this and Queen's We Are the Champions and it changed my whole day.

Midnight Train to Georgia by Gladys Night & the Pips - Something about a woman having that deep of a love for a man who was down to his last dime warms my heart.

Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs was mentioned earlier. It's just deep.

Point of No Return by Kansas - Something about that struggle to find meaning in the world, what makes a man try so hard.

When A Man Loves A Woman by Percy Sledge - I think it's the ultimate blues song.

Fortunate Son by CCR - This is the one where I hear Hueys. CCR had so many great songs: Put A Candle In the Window, Who'll Stop the Rain, Little Travelin' Band, Run Through The Jungle

Wagon Wheel by Darius Rucker - Others have done the song, but his version is best. When he sings, "..And if I die in Raleigh, at least I will die free..", that's how I feel about Texas.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Midnight Train to Georgia by Gladys Night & the Pips - Something about a woman having that deep of a love for a man who was down to his last dime warms my heart.

Fun and surprising fact...the genesis of the song was when the songwriter had a phone conversation with a friend of his who told him she was taking a midnight flight back home to Texas because she and her boyfriend had been arguing. "Midnight Plane To Houston" gradually became "Midnight Train To Georgia" as he mulled the phrase around in his mind and came up with lyrics and a tune.

The friend, by the was, was Farrah Fawcett. Her boyfriend she was arguing with was Lee Majors, early in their relationship. The story is confirmed by the songwriter Jim Weatherley, who even released a version called "Midnight Plane To Houston".

And now you know...the rest of the story. I'm not Paul Harvey. Good day!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Fun and surprising fact...the genesis of the song was when the songwriter had a phone conversation with a friend of his who told him she was taking a midnight flight back home to Texas because she and her boyfriend had been arguing. "Midnight Plane To Houston" gradually became "Midnight Train To Georgia" as he mulled the phrase around in his mind and came up with lyrics and a tune.

The friend, by the was, was Farrah Fawcett. Her boyfriend she was arguing with was Lee Majors, early in their relationship. The story is confirmed by the songwriter Jim Weatherley, who even released a version called "Midnight Plane To Houston".

And now you know...the rest of the story. I'm not Paul Harvey. Good day!
    Legend has it that Gladys Knight told the songwriter that black people don't take airplanes (at that time), and that's how it became a train.

Top Bottom