Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Cartridge rifle and pistol shooting at 50M is going to be dropped from the Olympics.

No, that's not a final decision and the politics and procedures are complicated. Ultimately, though, this appears to be part of a long-range plan to eliminate all cartridge shooting (except perhaps shotgun). Once the rifles and pistols are neutered to "air only", the smart money is on a move to "lasers only".

In short, shooting at the Olympics is dying and this recent proposed change is a couple of big nails in the coffin.

If, however, you've ever taken even a passing bit of satisfaction in the fact that there is actually shooting at the Olympics, would you consider signing a petition to help keep them?

https://www.change.org/p/internatio...utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink
    Hurley's Gold

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    How do I sign Ben? Do I have to install the app to do it?

Do you belong to change.org?
    Pretty sure you have to sign in.
    Signed up to sign the petition to protest Chris Suprun,
    had no problem signing when I visited this one.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I didn't use an app; I was on a desktop. For me, I just filled in the fields and clicked the button.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    The Olympics are a painful waste of time, IMHO. A bunch of state sponsored, doped to the gills, "athletes" playing with ribbons and balls.

I would be interested if anything with judges was dropped, the faux "amateur" lies were disposed of, and the games returned to what they were...a contest of military skills.

As it is, the "games" are nothing more than a waste of time and effort, run by cadre of greedy, dishonest vultures who spend their time picking over the tithes of countries who are themselves desperate for anything to distract their village idiots. Kind of reminds me of IPSC, but I digress.

Plus, people Kim Rhodes gets shit on while dope smoking asshats make millions. But that is another rant.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The Olympics are a painful waste of time, IMHO. A bunch of state sponsored, doped to the gills, "athletes" playing with ribbons and balls.
    If the scoring is whatever some judge on the sidelines says it is, then it's an art show and not a sport. I'll give you that one.

I would be interested if ... the faux "amateur" lies were disposed of...
    That happened a long time ago. The IOC no longer even pretends that the premier sports are anything but a professional occupation.

I would be interested if ... the games returned to what they were...a contest of military skills.
    Agreed. That's all the more reason that the loss of any of the shooting sports turns my stomach.

...the "games" are ... run by cadre of greedy, dishonest vultures who spend their time picking over the tithes of countries who are themselves desperate for anything to distract their village idiots.
    I've often wondered who will be consigned to a deeper level of hell, IOC or FIFA administrators. Yes, the IOC is corrupt as all hell. That doesn't change the fact that in the minds of most shooters in the world, there is only one shooting match in existence - the Olympics. Everything else is either training for your job or defense, trying to get to the Olympics, or just having fun.

Kind of reminds me of IPSC, but I digress.
    Feel free to unburden yourself. Even watching from the outside, I knew when the "9mm can't make Major/Yes it can with published data and Blue Dot powder" kerfuffle happened that that organization was rapidly headed down a path of hilarious ego conflicts.

Plus, people Kim Rhodes gets shit on while dope smoking asshats make millions.
    I swear, if she medals in the next Olympics and they don't let her carry the flag at the closing ceremonies, I'm gonna puke. Actually, she should get the honor for the next opening ceremony, given her track record.

Last edited:

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Actually, she should get the honor for the next opening ceremony, given her track record.

That honour will go to some transgender quad-racial twice-reformed Muslim turd burglar instead of to one of America's best. Oh, wait, that honour went to a black, America-hating, incompetent Muslim female (but I repeat myself) this time so...

Which, come to think of it, pretty much describes our current President.

On IPSC...IPSC and USPSA seem about to part ways due to the ego of the true ruler of IPSC...the short, fat Brit expat who has been hiding out in Hong Kong for (or from) crimes unknown for decades...so there is hope with the new, competent USPSA president after the long, dark (mis)management of "hook up my friends" Voight and the greedy "hide the no bid contract to my wife" idiot...

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I have no love for Olympic Sports.

They are as relevant to my day-to-day existence as is the corrupt United Nations.

Why is American Football not an Olympic sport, yet fairy dancing in a swimming pool is?

Be well.

Happy New Year!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    And why do the Chinese refuse to compete in our World Series!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    And why do the Chinese refuse to compete in our World Series!?
    I wonder what the reaction would be if they tried to set up a franchise? Wouldn't that be a hoot?

I'm glad you mentioned the Chinese. Their first Olympic medal ever (a gold) was in men's 50-meter free pistol. They have a lot of pull with the ioc and I'd be surprised if they let this go through without some pushback. After all, they are the 800-pound gorilla in the shooting sports at the Olympic level.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Why is American Football not an Olympic sport, yet fairy dancing in a swimming pool is?
    Because American football is played almost nowhere except America. There are swimming pools all over the world.

I have no love for Olympic Sports.

They are as relevant to my day-to-day existence as is the corrupt United Nations.
    At some level I understand and agree. But the pistol shooter in me wants to preserve the single most difficult pure accuracy sport ever devised for the pistol: men's 50-meter. Because it's an Olympic sport there are shooters practicing it in almost every country in the world. If it's dropped from the Olympics it will die out and that would be a shame. Actually it would be more of a crime, not dissimilar from deciding "The Mona Lisa is nice, sure, but there are plenty of pretty portraits in the world, already. Let's break it up and use it for kindling to start a fire."

Men's 50-meter pistol is the ultimate test of pure offhand accuracy with a pistol. As such, it's something special. It ought to be preserved.

I feel pretty strongly about that but I understand others may not feel the same.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I believe they are becoming more of a stage for progressive agendas, but for me it's all the more reason to make sure shooting sports remain part of the program.

In recent years shooting competitions of sorts have become more mainstream (Top Shot), and if some more usual competitions could get televised it would do wonders for protecting 2A rights.

Letting the Olympics drop shooting is a step in the wrong direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Real shooters using real guns go to Camp Perry for "accuracy" drills. No comment on actual, all-around shooters going to 3Gun matches ;)

Olympic "shooting" has turned into a farce, with people shooting toy guns. Let it die...along with the rest of the Olympics.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Personally, as a former member of one of the Olympic Committees (The Security Committee for the 1984 Summer Games), I'm a BIG FAN of The Games & would like to see the shooting sports EXPANDED to include high-power rifle competitions at ranges out to perhaps 600M, as well as "major caliber" handgun.
    (IF we added those competitions to The Games, it would be a major "one finger salute" to the Moron, Anti-gun, leftists, Worldwide.)

Btw, the LA Games Committee was largely a huge group of (mostly unpaid) volunteers, we built almost NOTHING (NO "Olympic Village" in "the modern sense", as the athletes mostly stayed in college dorms, rented cruise ships, in motel rooms & on military bases), borrowed or rented everything possible & ended up "breaking even" & thus was NOT a major burden on the US taxpayers.
    (The 1984 Summer Games was the LAST Olympics that was "done on the cheap" & was NOT "a big, splashy, expensive deal", i.e., an OVERLY EXPENSIVE/wasteful fiasco.)

Fwiw, despite all the whining of "critics", "the mainstream media" & the many "public busybodies" about the 1984 Summer Games being, "nothing special", "UN-SPECTACULAR", "commonplace" & all the other "damning by faint praise", I don't recall a single ATHLETE who was disappointed in the competitions that we put on in LA.

just my OPINION, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom