• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    That's hard to believe... but ok.

How's that hard to believe? I do a lot of fabrication and welding jobs for cash. There's no paper trail to begin with. If you don't put it in the bank,there's no paper trail.
    Unless you make a paper trail of $7500 or more,you don't need to file income tax.

It's easy to stay off anyone's radar if you know how!
    Lynx Defense

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    As I said before, the money is "worth that much less" to you since you didn't earn it. You state here that you would simply give it away... Let me ask, would you do that to your monthly check so willingly?

Be careful with charity too, people will ask questions where you got it and you better not try to write it off as a donation. That is a one way ticket to the Graybar Hotel.

That was your father's, and your opinion on money. Not everyone has that same opinion. And just because someone didn't necessarily "earn" the money, doesn't make it bad or evil. Some people inherit money from relatives. Some people gamble and are successful at it. If they aren't scamming people, or stealing it, or robbing banks at gunpoint, frankly, it's none of anyone's business how people get their money.

Maybe I try to take my wife's lead in some things, that helping others ahead of myself is good thing. Again, I really have no need for such a large sum of money. And frankly, what business is it of yours, what I do with my monthly paycheck?

You're trying to act like some morality police in this hypothetical situation. What I'd do now with that money is way different than what I would have done thirty years ago. Back then, I'd probably blown it on high quality booze and broads. Personally, I have no qualns in spending ill-gotten money on some charity that could actually do some good with it. And over the course of my career, I have donated a sizeable sum of money to worth charities. I still do, and that's my business. Not yours.

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Why? I know many people that pay for everything in cash. I don't have one credit card, and other than my house mortgage, everything I own, is paid for.
    I am not going to comment on what to do with the found money. Not one credit card though. Depending on how much money you spend every year though having a credit card actually saves you money. If you pay it off every month and have a card that pays you a percentage back it can really pay. Try to get a discount at the post office paying cash. You do if you pay credit card. Obviously if you need a rental car you are out of luck. Finally, how do you buy something online without a credit card? I do buy guns in private transactions with cash. Nobody wants a check or credit card.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I am not going to comment on what to do with the found money. Not one credit card though. Depending on how much money you spend every year though having a credit card actually saves you money. If you pay it off every month and have a card that pays you a percentage back it can really pay. Try to get a discount at the post office paying cash. You do if you pay credit card. Obviously if you need a rental car you are out of luck. Finally, how do you buy something online without a credit card? I do buy guns in private transactions with cash. Nobody wants a check or credit card.

Car rental companies take debit cards.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

I use pre-paid credit cards, for online shopping. Load them with the amount needed for purchase, and they can be used anywhere a Visa or MC can be used.

Generally, I have no need of credit cards. The interest rates are way too high. If there is something I need, I either usually sell off something on don't need, or save up the money to buy it outright.

Don't need or use rental cars, or need anything at the Post Office enough that using a credit card would save me money.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I use pre-paid credit cards, for online shopping. Load them with the amount needed for purchase, and they can be used anywhere a Visa or MC can be used.

Generally, I have no need of credit cards. The interest rates are way too high. If there is something I need, I either usually sell off something on don't need, or save up the money to buy it outright.

Don't need or use rental cars, or need anything at the Post Office enough that using a credit card would save me money.
    Hadn't thought of prepaid cards. Whatever works. I have credit cards, have never paid an interest payment but that's me. If I cancelled them it would be suicide by wife.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

I have a great use for credit cards. And I never pay one penny of interest, so I don't care about the interest rate. Pay the balance in full every month.

One, I don't have to carry cash.
    Two, I write just one check a month.
    Three, I get some money back from the credit card company on purchases.
    Four, I have more leverage if something is wrong with the purchase.
    Five, I have used the extended warranty that comes with the credit card purchases a time or two.

All it takes is a little self discipline.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I have a great use for credit cards. And I never pay one penny of interest, so I don't care about the interest rate. Pay the balance in full every month.

One, I don't have to carry cash.
    Two, I write just one check a month.
    Three, I get some money back from the credit card company on purchases.
    Four, I have more leverage if something is wrong with the purchase.
    Five, I have used the extended warranty that comes with the credit card purchases a time or two.

All it takes is a little self discipline.

No offense, but I have no desire or need for a credit card. My wants and needs are simple. It's another bill I have desire to have.

I have had credit cards in the past. Most of them were my credit cards I used for business purposes. I have no need for that now that I'm retired.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    You do realize that if you have money to pay cash for something, then you could pay off the credit card.
    If you don't have the cash to pay off the credit card, you couldn't pay cash for it anyway.

It's the same thing.

The bank pays you money to use their credit card, as long as you pay it off every month.

Just a thought.

ETA: fixed spelling error.

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    You do realize that if you have money to pay cash for something, then you could pay off the credit card.
    If you don't have the cash to pay off the credit card, you couldn't pay cash for it amyway.

It's the same thing.

The bank pays you money to use their credit card, as long as you pay it off every month.

Just a thought.
    Banks only put up with those who pay it off @ the end on the month because those who don't far out number us!

The way I see it credit cards keep me from buying stupid shit if I don't have money in my pocket, like candy bars & lap dances. They sure do help thing when I want to buy cases of ammo from SG Ammo. You realize you can't rent a car or buy a plane ticket without a credit card. Not that I'm doing either, but when I didthey ar great to have. Same thing if you ever travel abroad. Only so much cash you leave with if you have not been collecting pre security strip $100.00 & $50.00.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Banks only put up with those who pay it off @ the end on the month because those who don't far out number us!

I think you probably know that the credit card company collects a percentage from the merchant and interest from the purchaser if they don't pay it off every month. People who do pay the entire bill every month probably spend more money than the average folk and the credit card company does not have to chase after a debtor, of which there are many. No matter what, they come out ahead. Even if you pay your entire bill every month.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I also know what a huge PITA setting up credit card sales are. Even worse if employee get tips on a card. And how easy it is to refuse a charge or have your card skimmed. Cards are pretty much beneficial to the banks.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I also know what a huge PITA setting up credit card sales are. Even worse if employee get tips on a card. And how easy it is to refuse a charge or have your card skimmed. Cards are pretty much beneficial to the banks.
    Before I retired we did accept credit cards at my office. Better to get paid right away at a small discount then wait 3 months. Cash flow, etc. Need cash when it comes to paying the bills running a business.

Top Bottom