• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Stuck a case today. My first since I started reloading in 1980.

5.56 lc crimped primer. But I believe that to be irrelevant.

Yes, I was using Hornady one shot.
    I got the stuck case out and gave the remaining unsized cases a second shot. Went back to it.
    The twice lubed cases ran WAY smoother than the prior.

My takeaway? You can't use too much oneshot, but it is easy to be "stingy" with it.
    A heavy dose is wonderfully slick and won't create oil dents.

I'm "sticking" with one shot! Heh! But I'm shooting twice.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Stuck a case today. My first since I started reloading in 1980.

5.56 lc crimped primer. But I believe that to be irrelevant.

Yes, I was using Hornady one shot.
    I got the stuck case out and gave the remaining unsized cases a second shot. Went back to it.
    The twice lubed cases ran WAY smoother than the prior.

My takeaway? You can't use too much oneshot, but it is easy to be "stingy" with it.
    A heavy dose is wonderfully slick and won't create oil dents.

I'm "sticking" with one shot! Heh! But I'm shooting twice.
    I stuck a few too until I switched to the baggie trick.

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    arizona
    All aerosol lubes have to dry for several minutes before using.
    I never lubed a case neck ID and never had the decapper/expander stick in the case, much less like that.
    I don't like One Shot as it seems to be very "thick" and "tacky." I prefer the other pump-bottle aerosols, but that is not based on how well it works but how I much I like working with it.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    I stuck a few too until I switched to the baggie trick.

I've already developed a variation on your bag theme. Trim cases the day before and spray them with OneShot, put them in a baggie and load them the next day. Ball powders are less likely to stick to the inside of the case-neck with .223/5.56 NATO!

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    All right. Here's my cheap ass secret that has worked like a charm for years with nary a single stuck case.

A very light coat around the neck and bam.

Don't laugh. It's cheap, It works and one container of it will serve you well untill you pass away and then it will serve your heirs well until they pass away and then.....

eny9apab.jpg

Now if I could just find one of these to use as a dispenser:

6e7etu9y.jpg

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Do you guys re-tumble post sizing? I do. Knocks off any tiny metal shavings left after the process leaving you with a silky smooth neck.

I use a walnut/find red clay mixture for this post tumble. The clay is great at revealing any microscopic cracks or imperfections in the neck that may have otherwise gone un-noticed.

I know this is a lube thread but this is related and I'm just wondering if anyone else is doing the same. I'm I doing it over-kill? Anyone doing something different that I should try?

Sorry about the thread jack Vaquero but you've got some like minded experienced guys commenting here so I figured this would be a good group to throw that out to.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    All aerosol lubes have to dry for several minutes before using.
    I never lubed a case neck ID and never had the decapper/expander stick in the case, much less like that.
    I don't like One Shot as it seems to be very "thick" and "tacky." I prefer the other pump-bottle aerosols, but that is not based on how well it works but how I much I like working with it.

I never messed with inside the neck either, although I do spray at an angle since I started using one shot. Don't notice any difference.

I did find that on really big cases living the case neck made a difference. But those are done with valvaline.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Once they are deprimed, tumbling is over.
    I hate granules trapped in the flash hole.
    I trim with the case holder chucked in a drill. Once the trimming and deburring are done, I wipe them while the drill is running.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Thats how I do my .308. Trim, chamfer, debur, and wipe chucked in the drill.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I ultrasonic then tumble after sizing. I will clean before also if the brass is really dirty pickup stuff. I use Hornady unique for lube which is pretty thick so a clean after is pretty much a must but I have no stuck case problems so I can accept the extra step.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    when you run a progressive you size and go immediately to case mouth belling and powder charging.
    you would have to be running single stage to tumble your cases after resizing to remove the lube or am I missing something?

for me, I just load them up as normal and when I do my final visual inspection before putting the rounds into a tray for storage/range, I just give them a quick wipe with a micro fiber towel. I have also just dumped them onto a dish towel and rolled them all at once to remove the excess lube.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Do you guys re-tumble post sizing? I do. Knocks off any tiny metal shavings left after the process leaving you with a silky smooth neck.

I use a walnut/find red clay mixture for this post tumble. The clay is great at revealing any microscopic cracks or imperfections in the neck that may have otherwise gone un-noticed.

I know this is a lube thread but this is related and I'm just wondering if anyone else is doing the same. I'm I doing it over-kill? Anyone doing something different that I should try?

Sorry about the thread jack Vaquero but you've got some like minded experienced guys commenting here so I figured this would be a good group to throw that out to.

when you run a progressive you size and go immediately to case mouth belling and powder charging.
    you would have to be running single stage to tumble your cases after resizing to remove the lube or am I missing something?

for me, I just load them up as normal and when I do my final visual inspection before putting the rounds into a tray for storage/range, I just give them a quick wipe with a micro fiber towel. I have also just dumped them onto a dish towel and rolled them all at once to remove the excess lube.
    I usually give one little shot of One Shot or similiar to pistol brass. I do not tumble them again.

For rifles I size them on a single stage then retumble them to remove the lube. Precision rifle does not go into the progressive.

For plinking rifle ammo I put a universal decapper in the first station to remove any media from the flash hole and reload as usual on the progressive.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I don't tumble but I do send them through an ultrasonic cleaner after resizing to clean off any lube, etc. Never saw a need for tumbling except to make them look pretty. :evil: (flame suit on!)

Do you clean both before and after, or only after?

I do the ultrasonic as well. I'm no ammo pretty-boy!

Top Bottom