Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Just read up on the Texas gun laws before you take the class it makes it even easier.
    IMO, an intelligent, thoughtful person will score a 95% grade on the written test if they just read the questions closely, don't hurry, and apply common sense. At minimum, I can't imagine failing it.

Come to think of it, I can't imagine failing the shooting test, either. I've seen it failed just twice; in both cases, the shooter passed on their re-shoot.
    Gun Zone Deals

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Fingerprints are done via FAST and your driver’s license photo is used for your LTC these days.( for the last several years)

makes sense WRT the picture. I do know a lot of independent CHL instructors charge low fees but then hit you for the cost to use a range. And then send you to a place with the fingerprint machine.
    Not saying they aren’t good instructors, just that it’s not necessarily convenient

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    IMO, an intelligent, thoughtful person will score a 95% grade on the written test if they just read the questions closely, don't hurry, and apply common sense. At minimum, I can't imagine failing it.

Come to think of it, I can't imagine failing the shooting test, either. I've seen it failed just twice; in both cases, the shooter passed on their re-shoot.
    I would have passed the test without even taking the class.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Classroom. Great instructor, good sense of humor and stories. Downside was range, about 40°, 15 mph north wind in the face, target flapping like a screen door in a hurricane. Day started nice, around 70° then front came in so no jacket.

For those afraid of proficiency, even in those conditions a blind old guy like me shot -2. Pay attention to the wording on written, its easy as well.

interestingly wife had virtually no prints due to cleaning products over the years. Lady doing the prints said it was common, still issued though had to print twice.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    interestingly wife had virtually no prints due to cleaning products over the years. Lady doing the prints said it was common, still issued though had to print twice.
    Always heard you lose your fingerprints when you get old. The lady that did mine had some liquid she sprayed on my finger tips. Brought my prints right back. I thought, well so much for my new criminal career.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Had a lady in the range last week asking about private instruction. She has a valid LTC.......she said she wasn't required to shoot the qualification....no one in her class did either....

If she comes back....I will try and find out who the instructor was....

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Had a lady in the range last week asking about private instruction. She has a valid LTC.......she said she wasn't required to shoot the qualification....no one in her class did either....

If she comes back....I will try and find out who the instructor was....
    During a period about a decade ago when I had let my LTC lapse, I had an instructor offer to sign off on the paperwork for me without any instruction/shooting/classroom attendance of any kind.

There is some stunning incompetence and lack of integrity among LTC instructors. Note that I don't consider that an insult. There's stunning incompetence and a lack of integrity in every field of human endeavor.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    During a period about a decade ago when I had let my LTC lapse, I had an instructor offer to sign off on the paperwork for me without any instruction/shooting/classroom attendance of any kind.

There is some stunning incompetence and lack of integrity among LTC instructors. Note that I don't consider that an insult. There's stunning incompetence and a lack of integrity in every field of human endeavor.

Folks are surprised my wife doesn't have an LTC.........when she was able to shoot a 22 LR, it wasn't allowed....now she can't even shoot a 22....(her rheumatoid arthritis is severe) she could never pass the shooting qualification due to her disability...she and I both agree it would be unethical and illegal to just pass her anyway.....

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Folks are surprised my wife doesn't have an LTC.........when she was able to shoot a 22 LR, it wasn't allowed....now she can't even shoot a 22....(her rheumatoid arthritis is severe) she could never pass the shooting qualification due to her disability...she and I both agree it would be unethical and illegal to just pass her anyway.....
    My wife used a Walther P22, same reason, scraped by. I loaded it with softest rounds that would cycle it, CCI 1300 fps

skeath

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    McKinney
    Doing it online will also cost you more. I don't know if they are still doing this, but the online service providers (OSP) used to tell people that they could just go to any local range, and get the range requirement done for about $25. Good luck with that. I charge $50, and feel like I'm having to subsidize the OSP with that rate. A lot of instructors won't do them at all, so several OSPs have called me, asking to put my link on their websites. I get calls from students over 100 miles away, who say I am the only one listed for their zip code. I also get calls from people who say they have searched for 2 weeks for an instructor.

Depending on your location, you will likely spend $90 and 2-3 weeks completing all requirements, when you could have spent $75 and 5 hours, and learned more. My online students don't seem to know much about the law, based on the questions they ask me.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Doing it online will also cost you more. I don't know if they are still doing this, but the online service providers (OSP) used to tell people that they could just go to any local range, and get the range requirement done for about $25. Good luck with that. I charge $50, and feel like I'm having to subsidize the OSP with that rate. A lot of instructors won't do them at all, so several OSPs have called me, asking to put my link on their websites. I get calls from students over 100 miles away, who say I am the only one listed for their zip code. I also get calls from people who say they have searched for 2 weeks for an instructor.

Depending on your location, you will likely spend $90 and 2-3 weeks completing all requirements, when you could have spent $75 and 5 hours, and learned more. My online students don't seem to know much about the law, based on the questions they ask me.
    Reads like sour grapes

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Reads like sour grapes

probably accurate though. I have been asked what I would charge just to do a range qualification. Same price as if you took my class.
    I still have to keep your student records for six years, and do an hour of class time before shooting.

you are paying a convenience fee.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I foresee a subclass that requires minimal training and is geared towards employees of ranges.
    Range Procter. The range gets the money and the LTC instructor has to charge even less as he is required by the range to use their Range Procter for the firearm portion.
    The market will even itself out
    I prefer the classroom experience myself. I love a good war story. But for the most part there is not any need for dedicated LTC instructors. And the ranges would love a bigger portion of the training money. $100 qualifications will end up costing instructors their side gigs. Especially considering the entire course, range included can be found for much less. And a bunch of complaints by online customers will result in rule changes by the DPS.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I foresee a subclass that requires minimal training and is geared towards employees of ranges.
    Range Procter. The range gets the money and the LTC instructor has to charge even less as he is required by the range to use their Range Procter for the firearm portion.
    I prefer the classroom experience myself. I love a good war story. But for the most part there is not any need for dedicated LTC instructors. And the ranges would love a bigger portion of the training money. $100 qualifications will end up costing instructors their side gigs. Especially considering the entire course, range included can be found for much less. And a bunch of complaints by online customers will result in rule changes by the DPS.
    Don’t bet on it( BTW,I make almost nothing teaching the LTC class. I have never charged for one of my classes and the only time I will take money for one is if I am teaching a class for another instructor)
    The online class was designed and implemented for a very narrow subset of the population. Those who are exempt from the firearms qualification portion of the Texas LTC.
    It benefits them for the for convenience.
    Best I can tell, it benefits no one else. ;)

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

Many ranges already employ LTC instructors. As long at the state controls licensing they will want to choose and educate the instructors.

BCSOCC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2019
    College Station
    It's a gimmick and will end up taking more of your time in total. Go to a real LTC class
    I'm curious to know why you think it is a gimmick? Since 2016 online classes has helped many gun owners who do not have the time to go to a class offered only on weeknights over the course of two or three days, or want to give up a Saturday when they can take a class online in their free time. Most online classes are broken up into sections that they can stop or start when necessary. You can go back and view modules that you really want to dive deeper into if you didn't understand a concept, without scrutiny from the know-it-alls in every class. The material is the same, the delivery method is different. Overall it is more cost effective, time saving, and beneficial to most users, and as a side benefit Military members and Veterans stationed or living in other states that will eventually return to Texas can take it from anywhere, without having to physically be here. I'm an instructor, I have taken the class in person (LTC and of course instructor), I take a firearms class annually in a classroom setting, and I have taken the online version a few times to get some perspective on what changes I can make to clarify content or make it better. Some online versions suck and others are pretty good. For any class, online or in person, a persons ability to comprehend and apply what they have learned is more important than how they get the info. Just my opinion, thanks for allowing my spiel.

Top Bottom