• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I'm curious to know why you think it is a gimmick? Since 2016 online classes has helped many gun owners who do not have the time to go to a class offered only on weeknights over the course of two or three days, or want to give up a Saturday when they can take a class online in their free time. Most online classes are broken up into sections that they can stop or start when necessary. You can go back and view modules that you really want to dive deeper into if you didn't understand a concept, without scrutiny from the know-it-alls in every class. The material is the same, the delivery method is different. Overall it is more cost effective, time saving, and beneficial to most users, and as a side benefit Military members and Veterans stationed or living in other states that will eventually return to Texas can take it from anywhere, without having to physically be here. I'm an instructor, I have taken the class in person (LTC and of course instructor), I take a firearms class annually in a classroom setting, and I have taken the online version a few times to get some perspective on what changes I can make to clarify content or make it better. Some online versions suck and others are pretty good. For any class, online or in person, a persons ability to comprehend and apply what they have learned is more important than how they get the info. Just my opinion, thanks for allowing my spiel.

Costs more overall, takes up more time overall. No expert available to answer your questions.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Not sure what online classes you've researched, but I've seen a class as low as $39, although I think that one nickels and dimes the user to pay extra for an emailed LTC-101 form and other extras. My course is $40 and I'm responsive to my students with their questions during their class and even help them out with stuff after. I charge $25 for the range on top of their range fee of $15 to the range. So in total, they'll spend $80, whereas some classes start that high. Maybe I'm selling myself short, lol, but this is not my full time job so I don't have to charge a high fee for the class or range. I'm coming from the standpoint that everyone learns different and shouldn't be put off by experienced gun owners that would make them feel their choice isn't legitimate. Instructors that love to teach for what they get from it as far as being helpful are what can separate a good online class from a money grabbing "instructor" who just puts out a class and is MIA.
    www.bcsgunclass.thinkific.com
    If you want to be a forum sponsor sent a message to the admins

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    You stated the cost was higher, I just presented info to say its not. From experience in taking other people's courses and from my own, and from having sat through many in person classes.

The cost is higher. Your stated cost of $80 is high. The total time involved is also higher.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yes, I do in person classes and host an online class at <spam link deleted by mod> That is what all of the students I've had have claimed to be the best thing about the class, is the convenience. That and being able to schedule range time in their area when it suits them. If they can't handle a firearm, shoot proficient, clear a malfunction, etc., I don't sign off on their cert.
    How did I know you have a class...Yeah, then your assertation that " many people have benefited" has no basis in fact, it is a sales pitch.

And I agree, you could have answered the question without trying to advertise free.

Last edited by a moderator:

BCSOCC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2019
    College Station
    $80 isn't the floor or ceiling depending on the student and location, I've seen in person classes for $125, to me that's high. Active duty service members would pay $40 to $50 for the class and not have to shoot and admin that cost, to me that's low. Some LTC instructors don't charge a range fee, some ranges are cheaper in certain areas so your cost fluctuates. As far as time.... all the online classes I've looked at go for the minimum of 4 hours, then add the 1 hour range instruction, is relatively the same.
    I'm retiring from commenting further, I think both opinions are probably weighted with bias, thanks for the convo, and hopefully the OP can make a good decision that is cool for them.

BCSOCC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2019
    College Station
    How did I know you have a class...Yeah, then your assertation that " many people have benefited" has no basis in fact, it is a sales pitch.

And I agree, you could have answered the question without trying to advertise free.
    With the number of students I've had and as popular as the online platform has become, which doesn't seem to be going away soon, I can say "many" with marked confidence. I've answered another question that clearly states I have a class, shouldn't be any surprise there since you've read every post on here, right? I've clicked on "many" links throughout this site that people have posted in forums for items for sale, news, business, etc. I didn't see your reply to the person who posted about a place in San Antonio offering a class in this thread... you must have missed it I guess. In any case, be well and goodnight.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I just asked a question and answered another. If opposing opinions are not wanted or appreciated for debate or discussion, then let me know.
    No, you didn't. You took the opportunity to spam the forum for your classes.

Deleting your spam is causing problems with the flow of this thread. Stop posting it.

Your insights are welcome but until you become a sponsor, do not post a link to your business again.

BCSOCC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2019
    College Station
    No, you didn't. You took the opportunity to spam the forum for your classes.
    Deleting your spam is causing problems with the flow of this thread. Stop posting it.
    Your insights are welcome but until you become a sponsor, do not post a link.

Actually I did, I asked a poster why they thought the online class was a gimmick. And I laid out my opposing opinion about it not being a gimmick. Further along in the thread I replied to someone about a class and I posted a similar opinion and included a link which has since been deleted. Then I replied to a response on my reply, there was some back-and-forth about cost, time that sort of thing. If I recall correctly I included a link twice? I wouldn't necessarily consider that spam, but I'm not an admin, so if you think that was spamming, I apologize. As far as slowing down the thread by having to delete my post, I can't tell anything has slowed down as quickly as I'm getting responses, but again I'm not an admin. If I was trying to spam this group, I would have included it in every post, but I only included it where I thought it was relevant and like I said in another post I've seen plenty of links on here. Thanks.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    With the number of students I've had and as popular as the online platform has become, which doesn't seem to be going away soon, I can say "many" with marked confidence. I've answered another question that clearly states I have a class, shouldn't be any surprise there since you've read every post on here, right? I've clicked on "many" links throughout this site that people have posted in forums for items for sale, news, business, etc. I didn't see your reply to the person who posted about a place in San Antonio offering a class in this thread... you must have missed it I guess. In any case, be well and goodnight.
    Just stop. You are making shit up

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    BCSOCC -

Members are free to post all the links they want for businesses they use or are referencing in normal conversation. However, posting links to your own business is spam unless you become a sponsor.

If you received the first deletion notice I sent you, it explains how to start that process if you're so inclined. We'd welcome you to do so.

BCSOCC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2019
    College Station
    Just stop. You are making shit up
    So do you just wake up mad? and you're still on this? Everyone's opinions are made up of something, either something they know for fact through experience, seen, done, researched, etc. It appears your idea of "made up" are things you don't necessarily agree with. No need to be a jerk when that happens.

BCSOCC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2019
    College Station
    BCSOCC -

Members are free to post all the links they want for businesses they use or are referencing in normal conversation. However, posting links to your own business is spam unless you become a sponsor.

If you received the first deletion notice I sent you, it explains how to start that process if you're so inclined. We'd welcome you to do so.
    Got it and I understand where your're coming from. Thank you.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    Paragraphs: Paragraphs are easier to read. I was one of the greatest offenders of a mile long post with no breaks. Someone "asked" me to make paragraphs. I've tried to appreciate that and conform. Completely legitimate and non-offensive suggestion.

Spamming: On this form, and most others on other sites, the members tend to be sensitive to a new poster (few or no comments; just joined) having their first posts reference their own business and appear to be a solicitation. Now, many people on here, as Benenglish mentioned, may mention a business or even their own business if it's in the context of the conversation or related to your own experiences. There's probably a dozen instructors or more that frequent the forums and everyone tends to have good, informative insight and a variety of experiences to draw from. Yours was related to your own experience, but as a new poster, it also ruffles the "spamming the forum" feathers I guess.

(new paragraph ;)) Ironically, people will chronically post links to non-sponsors websites or mention shopping there. "I got this great deal at Academy the other day..." "I go to Bass Pro to get all my supplies..." "Optics Planet is having a sale..." "Powder Valley...." That kind of rubs me wrong. The big box stores get tons of free advertising on this site and nobody seems to care. However, there's a banner on the right of this page with site sponsors and there are also forum sponsors and others who support or contribute somewhat to the site and it's very delicate if they even mention anything spammy. I even suggested once to edit out all references to businesses that are not involved in or sponsor or support this site. Why is Academy getting free press? Just a pet peeve of mine.

If you have something to contribute in the form of money to provide this free forum for people to share info or find info or gripe or socialize or whatever, or knowledge or connections or services or whatever, then that should be worth something. I've always encouraged people to support their LGS and the sponsors of the forum when possible. Some of the sponsors just pay to advertise. Some are actively involved in the discussions too (I think Capitol Armory is active in the NFA sections, for example).

And on to the topic at hand...

I don't see any problem with the online classes. We transitioned almost fully away from the in person class to an online version. The in-person class my wife took before I was an instructor was an all women's class and she said the instructor just basically read the test to them. We've had other threads on here about how each of us conduct our classes and experiences we've had so I'll not rehash that. But there are many good and horrible in-person classes, but I think the online is generally good in terms of information. If the class teaches the laws, well, that's what it's generally for. I'm going to guess it's more comprehensive than most in-person version.

In our in-person classes we did a lot of role playing, class participation, video support of YouTube stuff where we showed actual robberies or whatever, and answered questions. But that's also to help keep people awake! 4 hours or more sitting in a plastic chair in a small room is tough. If you can do it at your leisure or in the comfort of your La Z Boy after the kids go to sleep, that's got to have some value.

I actually really like the idea that we now have a required one hour+ hands on class. I think even the in person version should have that too. We've had too many people take the shooting test where it's just the test and they REALLY need to have taken a class first. Sure, it's an opportunity to sell them a class they need, but many people have passed with about a 175 and then they think they're good enough after all.

The online class also gives the flexibility for the student to do the academics at their leisure. Many people can't make my Saturday once per month 8:00-3:00 class. One of my friends sat in an emergency room for 4 hrs waiting to see if his dad was going to live after a bad car wreck. He did his whole online class in the waiting room. Then we did our shooting class and now he has his license.

So the online portion isn't just for LE/Mil as someone said, or someone who doesn't have to do the shooting portion. I think many if not most people will find it more flexible. And then if you have questions, ask the live instructor during the shooting class. Hopefully you'll develop a relationship with the instructor and he knows his stuff both with the shooting portion and the laws (and holster use and child safety/safe storage and non-violent resolutions...).

Just my 5 cents worth.

BTW, I was just about to launch our version of the "AR Sale until Beto drops out". Now I'll have to find another Muse! What a buffoon that guy was (is). I'm sure there's a different thread for that topic too.

BCSOCC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2019
    College Station
    All great points, especially about the big box stores, thank you for that. I'm happy to see Beto dropped out, good riddance. It was only a matter of time.

Top Bottom