• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    In case you didn't know, an INVITATION to be on the propery with the EXPRESS PURPOSE of having BBQ and open carry of a handgun GIVES EXPRESS CONSENT for the guest to do so. No law broken.

As much as I hate to agree with Renegade... :p

He's right. You can't simply "give consent" for someone to open carry on your private property. You were actually correct when you said open carry might be acceptable as a result of a lease agreement. Any arrangement that puts the individual "in control of" the property, would allow then to open carry. Range masters and other range employees may open carry because it can be argued that this is required by and integral to their job function.

If you're going to have people open carrying on your property, you might want to have them sign a release.

Here's a silly idea, but could probably be argued successfully. Your release will contain language stating you're "hiring" the undersigned as a "property management agent" for the day and will receive payment in the form of food. The property management agent, we could argue, is in control of the property and can, therefore, open carry.

Tada!
    Texas SOT

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Anyone can legally open carry at the range.

I'd simply put a few targets around your BBQ in areas with safe backstops. Maybe poke a few holes in them.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Cant have a BBQ without BBQ holsters! Of cource you gotta have somethin to put in those holsters too!
    The laws suck, and we all know that.
    The mans property is private and i'll conduct myself as the property owner wishes.
    LE has better things to do than worrying about somebodies BBQ.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Wait a minute! I let people open carry all the time on my property! I never heard of this being against the law before. Well, I really never thought to ask either because I just dont care. Aint nobody going to come on my property without a warrant anyhow. Unless someone is in direct and immediate danger, I dont see how the law can come on private property and do anything!

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Wait a minute! I let people open carry all the time on my property! I never heard of this being against the law before. Well, I really never thought to ask either because I just dont care. Aint nobody going to come on my property without a warrant anyhow. Unless someone is in direct and immediate danger, I dont see how the law can come on private property and do anything!

Maybe you can start a new thread about this so we don't pollute this thread about a nice man planning a BBQ.
    In short, no you can't "consent" to people openly carrying handguns on your property, and yes LE can come on your property without a warrant.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    It's a firearm event, and he'll have a table for cleaning and field demonstrations. If it's a firearm event, people can open carry.

We did it last year, and everything was fine. Debra Medina showed up with a borrowed pistol, and someone even brought a belt-fed machine gun.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Range masters and other range employees may open carry because it can be argued that this is required by and integral to their job function.

Does the state say that it is integral to their job function? If so then they are really stepping into the realm of a commissioned security guard if that is the case? (Or so it seems)

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Just post whether you plan make it or not. I don't have an exact date, but it will be on a Saturday. Maybe 3-4 weeks. How about Saturday before Thanksgiving? I need a head count.

Hey rodbender, pm me with all the details and how many briskits I need to bring. You set a date and I will be there buddy.
    Im tired of the killjoys and wont be posting in this thread anymore.
    You have my word, I'll be glad to attend and will bring tasty beef.

rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    With al this back and forth about "Is it legal or not" I want to know one thing...Who's coming to the BBQ. That's what this thread was started for. If you are afraid of being arrested, then don't open carry while here. Come get some BBQ.

rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    Anybody coming to the OC BBQ needs to PM me with how many people you are bringing, including children. Yes, children are always welcome here. I will reply with my address. Use mapquest not googlemaps. Googlemaps is incorrect.

Bring some chairs for yourself. Be sure you take them when you go. I sell any left on ebay if you want them back.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Anybody coming to the OC BBQ needs to PM me with how many people you are bringing, including children. Yes, children are always welcome here. I will reply with my address. Use mapquest not googlemaps. Googlemaps is incorrect.

Bring some chairs for yourself. Be sure you take them when you go. I sell any left on ebay if you want them back.

How bout my dog? She can tend to the kids..

Top Bottom