• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • monkeywrench7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    I seriously don't understand why Texas isn't already constitutional carry. Hell, Idaho just passed it, and some of the people up there worry me with how liberal they appear. I guess appearances aren't everything. In Nevada it's even legal to open carry if you're not a permit-holder, because "law-abiding citizens" are not the enemy! I can't even say take mandatory classes. Demonstrate that you're familiar with your weapon, get a CHL, that should be all it takes. Hell, Idaho and Nevada even say open carry in our state and local government buildings, we're not worried about you, it's the people we don't know are carrying that're the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    We need to crack down on this open carry nonsense before t becomes a problem.

I kind of like having more Liberty than I need. It makes me feel like I am living in a free country.

You will stop that talk of Freedom in this Texas Gun Forum sir! j/k

monkeywrench7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    You will stop that talk of Freedom in this Texas Gun Forum sir! j/k

No, I agree. I'm not "licensed" to carry yet, anywhere except constitutional carry states, and some states that allow unlicensed open carry, so you're damn right I'll open carry when and where I legally can. It at least gives me the chance to be protected. Criminals don't obey laws. Does it make me a softer target, absolutely, but I'll take that risk on occasion to be something of a deterrent. Even police officers open carry without permit (granted, yes, they probably get more range time and better training than I have), but I still have target discernment and the same muzzle discipline as well as muzzle awareness. To hell with doing "away with open carry," unless you're talking about following Idaho's suit and legalizing unlicensed concealed carry (I.e. True form constitutional carry). It should be the gun-owner's choice, based on his/her skill and comfort level. I'm not worried if I can see the gun and the behavior of the person carrying it. I'm worried if there's a concealed gun that I don't know about and can't observe his/her behavior because it's concealed.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I seriously don't understand why Texas isn't already constitutional carry. Hell, Idaho just passed it, and some of the people up there worry me with how liberal they appear.
    Texas is a southern state; Idaho is western. Western states tend to be more classically liberal (freedom for many things), whereas southern states are more law and order. Reconstruction also fucked us pretty bad.

monkeywrench7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Texas is a southern state; Idaho is western. Western states tend to be more classically liberal (freedom for many things), whereas southern states are more law and order. Reconstruction also $#@!ed us pretty bad.

I can tell. Idaho was a shall issue state. It's hard to believe they relaxed their standard so quickly, while Texas still chooses tight restriction and limitation of citizens' rights. I would've expected better from the greatest state in the union. I'm frankly tired of all of the red-tape bureaucracy, and our constitutional rights being infringed upon. I'll be a staunch supporter of freeing law-abiding citizens until the day I die.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    What's size or population got to do with it? Doesn't matter if you have 12, 12 million or a 120 million.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

monkeywrench7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    What's size or population got to do with it? Doesn't matter if you have 12, 12 million or a 120 million.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

I think he's implying that it takes longer for legislation to pass in states the population size of our state. It didn't take long to place the restrictions, though.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The more rats you have in a box, the more they fight with each other.

You would think humans would recognize this and adjust their behavior, but that requires self knowledge that ironically gets suppressed the larger a society becomes.

monkeywrench7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Idaho also has 12 people. We have 25mm. Completely different states.

That's true. They are. I would expect a supposed "liberal leaning" state would have kept their restrictions, though. Although Idaho did vote for the constitutional conservative in the primaries.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    jrbfishn,

The major difference in the Western States like ID, MT & WY and BIG States like TX is that those sparsely populated States don't have BIG cities filled with leftists, organized crime & street gangs.
    (I have little experience in ID & MT but I do have family in WY & "strangers" in WY are "noticed" & carefully watched if they seem to be "up to no good".)

Bexar County has about TWICE the population of WY & LOTS of "urban problems" that NO place in WY has..

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    TheDan,

All too right you are!! = Even LYING, AMORAL TRASH like "Hillary THE LIAR" manage to rise in politics.

yours, satx

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    The more rats you have in a box, the more they fight with each other.

You would think humans would recognize this and adjust their behavior, but that requires self knowledge that ironically gets suppressed the larger a society becomes.

Issues and laws that are appropriate in one state are different than another state, just as the issues facing Houston are different than the issues facing Round Rock.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Issues and laws that are appropriate in one state are different than another state, just as the issues facing Houston are different than the issues facing Round Rock.
    I don't see how fundamental rights that are the extensions of our ownership of self can vary from one place to another. What does vary is people's opinion on what "reasonable restrictions" to those rights are.

The issues are the same everywhere; people who use coercion to get ahead vs. people who use cooperation. Higher population density just means you are more likely to encounter both more frequently. We have a natural bias that causes us to remember negative interactions more strongly. Encountering more coercive people causes us to be cynical at a faster rate than the cooperative encounters can bolster our optimism.

Last edited:

monkeywrench7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    I don't see how fundamental rights that are the extensions of our ownership of self can vary from one place to another. What does vary is people's opinion on what "reasonable restrictions" to those rights are.

The issues are the same everywhere; people who use coercion to get ahead vs. people who use cooperation. Higher population density just means you are more likely to encounter both more frequently. We have a natural bias that causes us to remember negative interactions more strongly. Encountering more coercive people causes us to be cynical at a faster rate than the cooperative encounters can bolster our optimism.

Precisely! Regulation of constitutional rights only creates more criminals. It should be prosecutable under federal law to restrict citizens' rights! Period! Especially when exemptions for members of legislative, executive, or judicial branches are allowed.

Top Bottom