• ...and so much more!
  • Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    This has certainly made the morning radio talk shows here - everyone up in arms because folks from out of town might be scared to see people with big, scary guns. No hyperbole, that was the gist of the argument. That, and these open carry folks who are following the law are "gun extremists" just looking for a confrontation... neither of which is actually true.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Man just got off work and i am 1-2 late to go now

Yeah, I'm working all day otherwise I'd go. No concerns at all about APD - they've proven to be capable and understanding of the Open Carry laws, demonstrations, etc., especially the DTAC guys.

I was going to carry my Sweedish Mauser... gorgeous rifle that might strike up a friendly conversation vs. a "scary black gun" that would draw negative media attention (nothing against those carrying them, I just think a mix would be nice).

There's another rally on Saturday, supposedly, but you can't get details without a Facebook login, which I don't have. Still not sure what the Alex Jones tie-in is. Perhaps I'll watch the coverage today and see if it's the peaceful "guns aren't hurting anyone" demonstration I'm hoping it is. Also interested to see if any downtown vendors actively welcome them in for coffee, etc.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    When will we learn that "in-your-face" open carry marches and parades add no value to our gun rights agenda. Just sayin....oh I support the 2nd amendment, I just don't know where "bear arms" = open carry. Am I not "bearing arms" when I conceal - carry? Just sayin......

Ok you "purists"...fire away.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    When will we learn that "in-your-face" open carry marches and parades add no value to our gun rights agenda. Just sayin....oh I support the 2nd amendment, I just don't know where "bear arms" = open carry. Am I not "bearing arms" when I conceal - carry? Just sayin......

Bear Arms = Open or Concealed.

Iamntxhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014

Purist or extremist? The wording of the 2A is very simple.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Really? Says who? You? Me? All I am saying is CC satisfies bearing arms. I do support getting rid of most if not all of CC restrictions as to where we can CC.

So you support the 2nd Amendment as long as folks don't get embarrassed about it?

Or you just enjoy the extra income from the Concealed Carry Tax you collect from the classes you teach?

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    So you support the 2nd Amendment as long as folks don't get embarrassed about it?

Or you just enjoy the extra income from the Concealed Carry Tax you collect from the classes you teach?

What are you talking about? Embarrassed about what?

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Actually I enjoy teaching others how to bear firearms appropriately since I add to my class instruction about firearm safety and a few simple techniques to use a firearm effectively. You see I am providing a public service even in retirement after having done the same for an entire career. The few extra $ I make via firearms pays for my own continuous training. I actually make 3x the money being a CPT and helping others achieve fitness goals.

Last edited:

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX

Showing people that the mere bearing of arms constitutes no threat is a positive thing. I have my personal positions on when and whether I'd open carry a handgun, but the more people see it, the more they get numb to it and less of a threat it is.

Unfortunately, too, it takes these kinds of demonstrations to get anything even approaching non-negative media coverage, assuming things go well (are well organized, respectful, etc.). This one asked participants to carry UNLOADED rifles, which I find silly, but I understand in terms of wanting to do ANYTHING to avoid an ND, etc. which would turn into horrible, horrible press.

The value here, though, is simply raising awareness of the issue, most of which will be among gun rights supporters that realize "hey, I support this too!"

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Had I been able to attend, I'd have carried my beautiful Sweedish Mauser. Not that I care, but it would be likely to be "less threatening" to the general public and more likely to strike up a positive conversation (or any conversation) that someone who perceives the "black rifle" as military, evil, killing machines (that's got to get corrected in the public's mind, too, but baby steps...).

Top Bottom