Join TexasGunTalk

Open carry petition. Check it out please.

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by Sparky33, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Sparky33

Sparky33 New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    I found this on opencarry.org. They have a petiton going trying to change the open carry restrictions. Just wanted to pass this along.

http://www.petitiononline.com/texasoc/petition.html

2. idleprocess

idleprocess Active Member

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I'm all for open carry, however ... Online petitions are nearly worthless. They are roundly ignored by all because they require zero effort to organize and represent far less commitment from "signatories" than real paper petitions requiring some serious shoe leather to get signed. A letter-writing campaign (as in physical letter that must be delivered by the postal service) is far more effective than an online petition and shows that not only are all the participants willing to put pen to paper, but they're willing to spend a few cents to send the message.

3. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Agreed.

I believe open carry to be from a face value rather worthless. However, when you think about it's actual purpose, it would mean that if we carry concealed, and the firearm were to momentarily be seen by someone the ramifications of that pure accident are less, and more protected. Hence I would support something of that nature.

One of my many long term goals for the site is to become pro-active in politics. To organize the members into preserving rights we were born with, and work to achieve those logical rights we have yet to obtain.

4. idleprocess

idleprocess Active Member

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    You misunderstand. Online petitions are nearly worthless and utterly ignored by those they seek to influence. It takes no effort to organize or add your name to an online petition thus they carry no weight.

I'm all for open carry not because I immediately intend to strap a blaster on my hip and draw attention to myself, but because I don't think it's necessary to prohibit the practice and perhaps I hope that the culture will shift back towards seeing firearms as normal instead of just things that criminals and weird gun nuts are interested in.

5. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I never said otherwise? In fact, I said I agreed with you.

6. welmack

welmack New Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Amarillo, Tx
    I doubt I would ever openly carry but would like a little more leaway on accidental exposure when carrying concealed. My only worry is that I have heard in years past that in open carry states that if the weapon was concealed in any way, such as under a heavy coat in bad weather, you were violating the open carry law. This may or may not be true, and if it was in the past that may all be changed now. It might also be that your CHL would cover you. Just my thoughts about this.

7. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I personally would never open carry myself for many reasons, though I guess I'm not really against it per se as I think people should be free to do as they choose (within logical reason of course).

8. Dusty Rivers

Dusty Rivers New Member

Apr 22, 2008
    The law states "intentionally fail to conceal the handgun" If you are making a real effort to conceal, would you really be in toruble?:confused:

9. DopaVash

DopaVash Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    Open carrying is an excellent way to educate the masses, or so say many of the people on Opencarry.org. Yeah, they take some crap for it sometimes, but it will also instigate conversations where you would be able to start converting the sheeple. As far as I've found, fears of firearms almost exclusively come from ignorace. Just like the girl I'm dating. When we started dating, she was afraid of holding one much less shooting it. 4 months later, I can't get her to stop shooting up all my ammo

10. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    With how people are in society there is alot left to interpretation. With the teeth involved in firearm offenses I don't care to find out.