• ...and so much more!
  • BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    BIGPAPIGREG,

I truly HOPE that you are 100% CORRECT & that I'm DEAD WRONG.
    (My experience here in SA is that you cannot trust anything that the local politicians claim, as they routinely lie like rugs.)

Further, as BOTH candidates for mayor are BOTH leftist DIMocRATS, I would believe/trust NOTHING that either one claims & you'll be safe.

Fwiw, "my crystal ball" is cracked BUT unlike some of the "Polly-Annas" here, I see the LYING SKUNKS in city government as they demonstrably ARE.
    (You do know what the definition of an "optimist is, do you not?)

yours, satx
    What does any of that have to do with open carry come January 1st, 2016?
    Hurley's Gold

lobo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    Texas
    I am still on the fence post about open carry.............I plan to conceal and if it shows.......no biggy!!

I just don't like to start "crap" that doesn't need to be started or to be an open target!! :beat:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    BIGPAPIGREG,

It "has to do with" arrogantly ignorant, hate-FILLED, self-important, semi-educated people on this forum who think that those of us who DO NOT TRUST politicians are "NUTS" and/or that make nasty/ignorant and (imho) STUPID comments to everybody that they disagree with.
    (TGT only has 4-5 of those pitiable creatures BUT imVho opinion, that's about 4-5 too many, for an otherwise excellent group of members.)

yours, satx

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I am still on the fence post about open carry.............I plan to conceal and if it shows.......no biggy!!

I just don't like to start "crap" that doesn't need to be started or to be an open target!!

Then you need to stay indoors. Any time you go outside you're an open target.

Oh, did you mean because you OC? I forgot, that's been so common elsewhere, you're right to worry about it. We all should. All the evidence shows stepping out your front door anywhere in the US while OC'ing means you're going to get shot that day.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I am still waiting for the blood to flow the cops to harass the campuses having outright gunfights between classes the yahoos with there gunbelts doing the chest bumps as they walk by each other everyone getting bigger and guns with more shine to out do the Jones family or compensate for other small things.

Jan 1st is going to be one hell of a day compared to the idiots that try to OC early LOL

The sky is faling the sky is falling

TheRedGoat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    canton
    Then you need to stay indoors. Any time you go outside you're an open target.

Oh, did you mean because you OC? I forgot, that's been so common elsewhere, you're right to worry about it. We all should. All the evidence shows stepping out your front door anywhere in the US while OC'ing means you're going to get shot that day.

I live out in the country, but, although we all own about 10 acres each, it's a fairly close knit community. We all know each other by name. In preparation for OC, I have been trying to OC as much as possible around the house, yard, pasture, chicken coop ... daily routine around the place.

None of my neighbors have even mentioned the gun on my hip as I am pushing a lawn mower in the front yard. Random people have not driven by and began screaming in fear.

Police have not been called about a maniac with a G22 and a penchant for brush hogging.

UPS and FedEx drivers have not noticed, and they have not just thrown my packages over the fence and left in fear.

What I have learned is the OC, daily, takes a real commitment to clothing and more importantly ... the holster.

My daily 'outfit' changes from shorts, to pants, to dress clothes.

Concealed carry vs open is not as simple as untucking a shirt, imho

TRG

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I'm a big old dude. Some say fat and I would agree with them. Hiding a gun on my person is not easy. Very little extra space. I let my CHL expire and was just content to car carry. Along comes open carry. I'm thinking great idea. I will devote 4 whole hours to the class and then carry a snubbie in a pancake holster that has a section specifically molded to catch my belt. Put on a long enough shirt and forge on. Whoopie, here I am concealed carrying and if some person notices and is too stupid to realize we live in Texas, well then I will declare that I am open carrying.
    Now after browsing 30+ pages of this thread I feel like a criminal (in the making).

Where did I go wrong?

Many years ago I took my family and my snubbie to Astroworld. I took the snubbie just because of a media uproar about them not allowing Cops to carry at Astroworld. I received a stupid 10 minute lecture, had to sign a special form and had 2 unarmed security guards follow us around all day. I made it a point to stay until they closed. I told them what I thought of my treatment and never spent another penny on anything the owners sold (sometimes it was hard to keep up with who owned it any given week). I cried not a tear when they closed. I did that to prove a point. I no longer want to prove anything to anybody, Its just that every now and then I want my 30+ year old snubbie a little closer to my side. Also Houston I'm sorry to admit is a bit less without an AstroWorld. But its sure seems an Open Carry Circus is coming in January.

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I am still waiting for the blood to flow the cops to harass the campuses having outright gunfights between classes the yahoos with there gunbelts doing the chest bumps as they walk by each other everyone getting bigger and guns with more shine to out do the Jones family or compensate for other small things.

Jan 1st is going to be one hell of a day compared to the idiots that try to OC early LOL

The sky is faling the sky is falling
    Saw a letter to the editor in the Saturday Austin paper written by a woman who thinks open carry is going to be a danger to her grandkids, so she plans to call 911 every time she sees anyone openly carrying.

Isn't that harassment?

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Saw a letter to the editor in the Saturday Austin paper written by a woman who thinks open carry is going to be a danger to her grandkids, so she plans to call 911 every time she sees anyone openly carrying.

Isn't that harassment?

I'd imagine that and/or misuse/abuse of the 911 system, if she actually does make a habit of it. Of course, given that it's Austin, the odds of her actually getting punished for it are probably slim at best.

TheRedGoat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    canton
    I'd imagine that and/or misuse/abuse of the 911 system, if she actually does make a habit of it. Of course, given that it's Austin, the odds of her actually getting punished for it are probably slim at best.

I'm more concerned with people claiming that not only did they see a gun on my hip, but that I pointed it at them.

When I took my CHL class the Texas Law Shield representative mentioned how many times/ways people had been arrested for brandishing or threatening (false claims) with a handgun.

I'm thinking that it might be wise to paint/customize my carry gun's slide in some way that it could ONLY be seen when pulled and be unique enough that when asked by the Officer, "Ma'am ... could you describe the gun?" that a simple 'It was big and black and silver!' would allow the investigating officer to know that the gun was never pulled.

Pink/green stripes on the slide? Yellow Smiley Face stickers all along the top and sides?

Thoughts?

TRG

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    I'm more concerned with people claiming that not only did they see a gun on my hip, but that I pointed it at them.

When I took my CHL class the Texas Law Shield representative mentioned how many times/ways people had been arrested for brandishing or threatening (false claims) with a handgun.

I'm thinking that it might be wise to paint/customize my carry gun's slide in some way that it could ONLY be seen when pulled and be unique enough that when asked by the Officer, "Ma'am ... could you describe the gun?" that a simple 'It was big and black and silver!' would allow the investigating officer to know that the gun was never pulled.

Pink/green stripes on the slide? Yellow Smiley Face stickers all along the top and sides?

Thoughts?

TRG

Interesting idea, but you could run afoul of laws requiring visible differences between real and fake guns (namely, fake guns are required by law in most states to be in really funky colors, or marked in some way that clearly denotes them as fake/toys).

And I'm pretty sure that such a claim could get the caller arrested if proven false. Wouldn't that count as a fraudulent report?

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Interesting idea, but you could run afoul of laws requiring visible differences between real and fake guns (namely, fake guns are required by law in most states to be in really funky colors, or marked in some way that clearly denotes them as fake/toys).

I guess it would depend on the color. Most people only know what they see on TV and movies and what they see are mostly black semiautos. Pistols are available in various tans and greens and if you were to have a pistol with a black frame and a OD Green slide and carried it in a holster where only the grip is visible it should work well.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX

Which laws in Texas would this run afoul of, specifically?

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Which laws in Texas would this run afoul of, specifically?

I'm actually not sure if there are any state laws, or if I'm thinking of federal regs instead (e.g I know it's required by the .feds for an airsoft gun to have at least the first 1/4" of its barrel/muzzle blaze orange, and I could swear I read that it's illegal or at least really stupid to do that to a real gun). Someone, anyone care to clarify?

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I'm actually not sure if there are any state laws, or if I'm thinking of federal regs instead (e.g I know it's required by the .feds for an airsoft gun to have at least the first 1/4" of its barrel/muzzle blaze orange, and I could swear I read that it's illegal or at least really stupid to do that to a real gun). Someone, anyone care to clarify?

You asserted that as if it were true but can't back it up?

Next time either ask a question or help make clear you're not sure up front. This is how rumors spread.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I was under the impression that orange tips were required for sale, but nothing said it had to be kept.

TheRedGoat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    canton
    Really? I would like to see the facts to back up that claim.

Honestly, it sounds like a sales pitch to me...

He talked about several cases where there had been claims of 'he pointed a gun at me!' along with road rage incidents. Several had gone to trial.

It sounded 'sales pitchy' to me as well, but I don't think he was lying.

TRG

Top Bottom