Join TexasGunTalk

Open carry to exercise your right. Concealed for defense.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Enochwel, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Enochwel

Enochwel Member

Mar 15, 2015
    Noticed a man open carry in a high crime area (In Mississippi - I reside back and forth between the two states) with his whole family today. I fully support him doing so; however, I don't believe open carry is functional for more than exercising your right (which is increasingly important for us to do) as the bad guy with the gun would never let you even draw (of course he will see you with your gun [yes I did specify a gun here] - that's the idea right?).

Better in an area like that with your family to CCW.

I know this isn't so political, but it is not very informative for the CHL section either, but it could be political...

for practical purposes, shouldn't we all have the right to CCW barring violent criminal history or certain mental problems? Practical as in ccw cannot be a mistaken for aggression, therefore assumed purpose should be defensive carry. Right not privilege as in there should be no cost (or class discrimination) associated with the right to ccw. I might assume this man was open carrying because he could not get a ccw license, which bars him from the more practical use of his weapon for the defense of his family.

I'm aiming for general discussion about ccw vs open carry and the practicality vs farce of open carry states which still require a license to ccw.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  2. V-Tach

V-Tach TGT Addict Forum Sponsor

Sep 30, 2012
    Rockport
    High crime area? Could you be more specific?

I really don't think I would be open carrying a pistol while it is illegal to do so, even in a so called high crime area, wherever that may be...........

Family with me or not, the PD would have major problem with it until it is legal to do so....

3. Davetex

Davetex TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 27, 2010
    Pflugerville
    Here we go again. We're being trolled.

4. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have no idea what the OP is talking about.

5. Glockster69

Glockster69 TGT Addict BANNED!!!

Jul 1, 2011
    Hmm, nothing in the OP suggests he's talking about a handgun.

6. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The OP said the guy wouldn't be able to "draw". That lends me to believe he was talking about a handgun.

7. Glockster69

Glockster69 TGT Addict BANNED!!!

Jul 1, 2011
    May be splittin hairs but a fair point. Should I send v-tach an I'm sorry card? :p

8. V-Tach

V-Tach TGT Addict Forum Sponsor

Sep 30, 2012
    Rockport
    lol......I've got pretty thick skin........

But, yeah, I got it was a holstered pistol from his post........I could be wrong.....

9. winchster

winchster Right Wing Extremist TGT Supporter

Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I just want somebody, anybody, to provide a single instance where an open carry guy was "shot first".

10. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I want to know where this happened.....