Hurley's Gold

Open Handgun Carry in Texas? If not, WHY not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Seems like I've struck a nerve; do you guys really want tens of thousands of people who, unlike most here, have little or no experience with firearms, probably have never been to a range in their life and don't have the first clue about basic gun safety to be armed in public?

Can you foresee any issues that might arise from that scenario ?

So we don't buy your "they will bring out their gold played Glocks" argument and you need to change it up, I get that. You should work on a smoother transition so your trolling is less obvious though.

I will counter with this.

Many states already allow constitutional carry and the streets are not running with the blood of innocents, children, or puppies.

Tens of thousands of people can already carry in Texas because it is legal to open carry a long gun and legal to carry a firearm in your vehicle with no permits.

The CHL course is not a safety course and I watched people who didn't know how to load their gun pass.

Now give us another one to debunk, this is fun.
    Guns International

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Seems like I've struck a nerve; do you guys really want tens of thousands of people who, unlike most here, have little or no experience with firearms, probably have never been to a range in their life and don't have the first clue about basic gun safety to be armed in public?

Can you foresee any issues that might arise from that scenario ?
    Have you actually read this thread? It all comes down to personal liberty and personal responsibility. Any issues that arise from your scenario would be self correcting.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I can just imagine all the felons and gang members jumping at the chance to invite police scrutiny into their lives by wearing their guns openly, just like they do now in AZ, AK, NM, VT, and even here in TX with long guns.

I can't even remember the last time I drove through a ghetto and didn't see hoodlums sporting their engraved gold-plated, cubic zirconia encrusted hi-points and GSG-5s. One of them even shot at me with his pimp-cane gun. They don't even wear baggy clothes anymore; they're so bold about it all.

Luke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2013

What is this, the bizarro Democratic Underground, I follow the forum for a while and as soon as I post an opinion I’m labeled a Troll ?

There is a lot to be said about open carry, safer to have a proper holster and always better to have the gun you prefer rather than the one that fits and the next legislative session will surely approve it (assuming Abbott is Governor) for CHL holders. That will be the first step, if Texas stays red, unlimited open carry will probably be approved in the 2017 session; on the other hand, if the Vichy/Quisling Feds make the power grab we all know they want and these letters start showing up in your mailbox... http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/11/robert-farago/begins-new-york-sending-gun-confiscation-notices/ ... all bets are off.

I won't be OC, even though I have not left the house unarmed in decades, my views on this issue may be archaic but when I am in public I do not want people around me to know I have a weapon and I surely don't want to be in the presence of armed fools or wannabe cops who have no experience or training; but then I know two kids who are dead from idiots getting hold of unsecured weapons, their deaths were separated by 40 years but both seem like yesterday, so maybe I am somewhat prejudiced on the side of safety.

Admittedly I have not seen a gold plated Glock in person yet; but I have had a chrome plated Tec-9 pointed at me in Phoenix, seem like much of a leap?

You guys will get open carry sooner or later, hopefully through legislation rather than revolution, then after a few years we will see how it works out.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Good lord almighty, the retardation runs strong in this one. Every point you stated contradicted the last you made

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    And if open carry would have been illegal it would have been a regular Tech 9 that was black and much less threatening.

I will let others deal with the rest of the fail in that post, much of which had nothing to do with OC in Texas. You are also combining Open carry with constitutional carry. I support both, not ire that you know the difference.

Luke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2013
    Just carrying on a conversation, how did I denigrate you , seems like you guys are the name callers; troll, tard....wtf, are you guys really from Texas?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What is this, the bizarro Democratic Underground, I follow the forum for a while and as soon as I post an opinion I’m labeled a Troll ?
    Fair enough; you're entitled to your opinion. It's my opinion that your opinion stinks because it sounds like you're advocating the state limiting personal freedom based on your general distrust of people.

If your first post had been in the introduction section instead of contradicting the theme of this thread, you would have been a lot less likely to be labeled a troll.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    but I have had a chrome plated Tec-9 pointed at me in Phoenix, seem like much of a leap?

Yes. Did he show you his license? In TX this will likely be the only way to OC for a while. Was he truly open carrying his Tec-9? Hell, was he even pointing it at you illegally? If so, what makes you think an anti-open carry law would have prevented it?

You realize every anti-OC argument you make has already been made 1,000,000 times for concealed carry, right? I'm still waiting on those streets to "Run red with blood..."

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    OC is fine for you, me and most everyone reading this; I'm a 6th Generation Texan on my second CHL renewal, been around guns all my life, open carry sounds reasonable but there's a problem. If we allow this in our state, how long will it take for handguns to become fashion accessories among certain groups, are you ready for posse's with gold plated PLR-16s and chrome Mac-10s strapped to their legs ?

How about bikers one upping each other seeing who has the biggest hogleg, that's what I saw in Arizona?

Concealed carry works well, just consider the possible outcomes of the arms race that open carry could start.

Im pretty sure these certain groups you talk about would rather conceal carry. Typically they try to conceal their criminal activity and most likely advertising they have a weapon via open carry will lead them to be stopped more often which is something i dont think theyre interested in.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    So now that we've past the whole "will become wild west" argument we're resorting to complaining about they styles that people might boast? Aren't we grasping at straws?

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    That's what he meant about the "biggest hogleg"?

I suppose so, I just thought the poor guy could use a smoke screen to run for the hills before he started saying crazy shit like we should have a state income tax like Arizona too.

I thought you don't eat pork :laughing:

The degree of my abstinence is proportional to the distance from me to the other-half. :rolleyes:

Really kick ass brisket pretty much everywhere we've went in Texas so far though. Rare to find stuff that isn't like jerky in Florida or Georgia.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Interesting little anecdotal tidbit.
    Mississippi recently clarified their law and stated OC is legal without a permit. Businesses been putting up no guns allowed signs in droves since this went into effect. This has effectively barred even their CHL holders from entering these businesses while armed. I work with a lot of guys from Mississippi and while they are not pissed off about it, it is an interesting unintended consequence.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    zw150202
    Top Bottom