Open vs closed bolt?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
With the proper forms and taxes can civilians own either or only closed bolt guns? If so why?

Dawico

Uncoiled
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2009
Lampasas, Texas
I have no idea on the legality but there is no reason to have an open bolt semiauto. Even full autos that are converted to semiauto usually switch to a closed bolt.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
Open bolt is generally less accurate.

IIRC, open bolt semi auto is generally not legal because of how easy they are to convert but there are a few old open bolt semi autos floating around that are still legal.

Micro UZIs fall in to that category I believe.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
I was flipping through Shotgun news and they had some sort of M249 SAW, but they had two different version. The open bolt one was for LE/Mil only and the closed bolt was for civilians. I'll try and post a pic in a bit.

The only machine gun I've ever shot was a M249 in the military which is an open bolt.

I'm not up on NFA items, not looking to buy one certainly, I was just interested in the mechanics and legality of the different modes of operation.

Koinonia

Well-Known
Sep 10, 2012
San Antonio
Are you referencing any type of firearm?

Is that in the federal firearm's laws?

BATF made a ruling in 1982 that semi-automatic open-bolt weapons are readily convertible to fully automatic fire, therefore such weapons manufactured after the date of this ruling are classed and controlled as fully automatic weapons (weapons manufactured prior to the ruling are grandfathered and are still considered semi-automatic).

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
BATF made a ruling in 1982 that semi-automatic open-bolt weapons are readily convertible to fully automatic fire, therefore such weapons manufactured after the date of this ruling are classed and controlled as fully automatic weapons (weapons manufactured prior to the ruling are grandfathered and are still considered semi-automatic).
?Open Bolt? Explained: A Tale of Two Uzis - The Firearm Blog

Yeah, got curious and found the above. Pretty interesting stuff.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
Here. Apparently not actual MG but semi auto that is closed bolt as some of you mentioned above and understood what we were discussing before i did. Ad states "civilian legal" meaning non-NFA in this context.

Last edited:
Top Bottom