• ...and so much more!
  • itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I don't know. In the $200 plus price range, I'll always spend more and buy an aimpoint. When the vortexes are on sale during Black Friday for $150 I'd maybe push the button, but I have no need for one at the moment. Although any one of those optics would be neat on my 10/22 w/ butler creek folding stock. I may be a customer, but I always end up buying ammo for my 9mm glocks, range time, or 5.56 ammo. If I ever end up with enough money to satisfy all my wants I'd maybe buy one for the plinker. For my SHTF civil war guns I like aimpoint. Or my 18" rifle length has a leupold mark at 3-9x40 for longer range shots.

Last edited:

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Holosun is who makes PA, they are just making their own line now. But the added solar and options seam to be better. The 515c I have is awesome, seems very well made.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yes, I think I'd buy a holosun before I'd buy the pa, although pa is a good company and the guys there are badass.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Actually an owner of a Strikefire and can actually give an opinion I didn't read on the interwebs.

Good
    - cost
    - reliability
    - water proof
    - battery life is OK (have only had to change battery once I think)
    - I like being able to co witness irons, or look under through mount for clear line of sight through irons, depending on which mount you get (not optic specific but you can't do this with all of RDS)
    - decent adjustability for brightness, zeroing in, etc.
    - pretty clear optic (no major red or yellow hue during normal use, gets worse under low light conditions though)

Bad
    - is a little bulky size and weight wise
    - another type of battery to have to worry about (CR2 I think) that nothing else uses *sigh*
    - flip up scope covers are awful to get closed again, especially in cold weather with gloves on, flipping them up isn't bad.
    - made in China

That all being said, it's a great optic for under $200 and I absolutely would recommend it. For home defense I would not hesitate... Afghanistan might be different. I don't buy into hype (where are the EOTech fan boys?)

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    That's what I was looking for. Thanks again ATY.

Though that solar addition to the Holosun is very appealing.

Last edited:

Dustyzz

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2013
    Round Rock
    Been using a Strikefire II for 2+ years... You see them on sale from time to time and I bought mine from OpticsPlanet on sale for 149.00 + shipping. Works great and so far has been easy on batteries. What A.Texas.Yankee said in the above post is a spot on assessment, my only complaint about the StrikeFire II is the lens covers can be tricky to get sealed up properly. Very nice red dot for the money IMHO.

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Thanks guys. Since I didn't win the Powerball last night, and I HIGHLY doubt I'll win it Saturday, I'll try and get a Holosun and Vortex next to each other. And Though I really like that solar option on the Holosun, I'm leaning quite a bit towards the Strikefire.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I wonder how well the Holosun will work when it's a bright day, but you're shooting under a covered area? Probably just have to use it in battery mode most of the time anyways.

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    From the few reviews I could find on YT, they were ambient light was the solar activator. They were also saying that the battery was secondary.That it "ran" mostly by solar power. It really does have me curious how it would react in various lighting, and weather scenarios.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Yes, I think I'd buy a holosun before I'd buy the pa, although pa is a good company and the guys there are badass.

+1 for Holosun. My HS403GL is the best cheap red dot I've purchased. It has survived the 870 magnum slug test and has also seen hundreds of rounds through a Beretta CX4 storm. It still works and looks like new. My only complaint is the bluish tint on the glass and some artifacting during transitioning from areas of different brightness.

I do like Viper's scopes though. I have this one:

[h=1]http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle[/h]
    On my long range rifle and it's the tits for the price. I a managed to pick one up on sale for about $800 a couple of years back and glad I did.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom