• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    So I've brushed the dust off my 45 Raptor build in hopes that I can learn how to reload and get a good load made before the October meet. Two things I'm missing are optics and a brake.

I love Trijicon optics. I especially like the TR25 with the triangle post reticle. I use this optic on my 300blk but in 1-4. I was at Apache the other day and took a look at Vortex. I really liked the Razor HD gen2. Is it $600 better than the trijicon? I don't care about holdover or other adjustments. This is a +-3" pig hunting rifle to 200 yards. I'm just gonna point at center vital and send 240 grains on its way at about 2600 ft/s.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    Venture Surplus ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lifetime warranty. No questions asked. If it will get abused you can't go wrong with Vortex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Great optic if you've got the coin. A bit heavy though. To be honest I would save $1000+ and get the Strike Eagle which is also a 1-6.

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Price difference on the 2 optics I referenced is only $200 on OpticsPlanet. That just makes the decision tougher. As far as mounts, it will be Geissele.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Vortex in my experience makes an outstanding optic. I own two of their scope models, the Diamondback 3-9x40 on my Remington 783, & the Viper HS 4-16x50 on my Savage 11 Hog Hunter. Spent $520 on the Viper and around $200 on the Diamondback. In my experience I get consistent performance and accurate BDC shots out of both scopes, and while they are much less than the $1400 Razor HD Gen II they each have taken hog or two beyond 200yds.

Take a look at the specs with the 240 gr bullet first though. The HD Gen is a lot of coin for glass, especially if it's not what you need. Nah, forget it... get it, zero it and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I vote for Vortex, I have 3 of their optics and for shits and giggles I called and asked, hey I did a cammo paint job if anything goes wrong is it still covered. They said yep but we will not pay for new cammo paint, it will come back stripped and factory if anything happens.

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    I currently have a Viper HST, Viper, Diamondback HP, and a Strikefire II so guess what my vote is for. Not biased to Vortex but I qualify for their Military / LE program so the bang for the buck is hard to beat.

cbfurg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2016
    Ive owned optics from the pst line and felt they were good quality. The new razor is great in optical quality but is definitely heavier than the competition (in my experience). It all depends on what matters most to you. I currently run Leupold and Nightforce. Made in USA motivates me to purchase but thats not to say Vortex makes inferior products.

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ive owned optics from the pst line and felt they were good quality. The new razor is great in optical quality but is definitely heavier than the competition (in my experience). It all depends on what matters most to you. I currently run Leupold and Nightforce. Made in USA motivates me to purchase but thats not to say Vortex makes inferior products.
    Great, I hadn't considered the NF nxt 1-4 IHR reticle.

Hfrog355

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    The Strike Eagle is an amazing optic for the price.

I'm getting new glass with my bonus check this fall. I'd settled on getting the Razor HD, but a Strike Eagle + $1k is a pretty nice option too. Anyone else have experience between the two? Gun would be used for 3-gunning and plinking with the occasional call for bacon harvesting.

As for the OP's question - Vortex as a company is very solid. I have a Venom red dot that has lived on a 22/45, AR and shotgun. It's been great in all three applications and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    All the glass on my rifles are Vortex. Best optics you can get for the price point and the warranty can't be beat.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    The Strike Eagle is an amazing optic for the price.

I'm sorely disappointed with my Strike Eagle. It has TERRIBLE fish eye at 1x and the lenses are very fuzzy on the side.

I've had a total of 4 PSTs. Sold every one of them and went back to Leupold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom