• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I've had the 930SPX gen 2 for years. Be warey of gen 1 (if getting used) for they had some issue with canted front posts and I didn't care for charging handle. I've had, literally, thousands of shells through it. Never a single malfunction of any kind, that I didn't cause. Eats up low brass just has it does high brass SD loads. It's my most often used gun other than my PX4. It's dispatched many a critter, and I would trust my life to it. Not saying which is better, just my lengthy experience with my 930SPX.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    No idea about a tested list. I'm sure a search for the USMC testing will bring up something. Never had them in my unit so I wouldn't know what they use. For my 3 Benelli's (2x m4's and 1 m1014) it was trial and error. None of mine liked light bird loads, turned it into a bolt action shotgun. It ate all 00 loads and all #6 sureshot long range I fed it. Those were the only types I ever put through mine.

Is there a tested list of shells that can cycle this gun without hanging up?

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    No idea about a tested list. I'm sure a search for the USMC testing will bring up something. Never had them in my unit so I wouldn't know what they use. For my 3 Benelli's (2x m4's and 1 m1014) it was trial and error. None of mine liked light bird loads, turned it into a bolt action shotgun. It ate all 00 loads and all #6 sureshot long range I fed it. Those were the only types I ever put through mine.

Does it matter if the shells are high brass or not?

dmwz71

Professional Retiree
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Crosby, Texas
    Out of curiosity, why didn't the 1100 make your list? Also, if the price point you are trying to stay under is $1000, the Benelli M3 squeeks in there, and I would absolutely recommend that one. The FN SLP also makes it in there. All of which I would go for over the 3 you listed.

Nothing at all against the Remington 1100, other than an 1100 in "tactical" configuration is not the easiest thing in the world to find. I have an 870 and I like it an awful lot. It was duty shotgun before I retired. I'm sure that the 1100 would be a good choice, but I am much more interested in the Beretta or Mossberg. As far as the M3 goes, I hadn't really even though about it until you mentioned it. It is something I will look in to.

I really like the FN SLP a lot, and I almost purchased one several years ago, but all the ones I have seen recently were in the $1300 range. I will look more to see if I can find them in the 1K range. Thanks for the heads up.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Did you follow the manual's listed break in procedure?

I did not and mine only hung up on cheap birdshot a few times.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Shotguns have always been my favorite so I have lots of short, compact, light and "tactical" type shotguns.

I have a ballistic level 3 vest with steel plates that I have no intention of running with. Then the Remington "Barricade" gun was born. It is long, heavy and not intended to haul around.

It started with a Remington 1100 of late 1960's vintage with 28" IC vent rib barrel.
    The shotgun received an extended magazine and spring which gives a capacity of 9+1.
    The "Speed Feed" pistol grip isn't lightweight, either.
    The barrel carries a laser sight adjusted to point of impact for 10 rounds of 00 Buckshot.
    The shotgun will launch 10 rounds of 00 buck short magnums at blazing speed!

It's a great barricade defense shotgun BUT I just witnessed the announcement of our new Conservative Supreme Court nominee. That's the biggest gun our side has!

Flash

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Remington 870

I have a whole bunch or 870's, in all sorts of configurations, including the "tactical" model, the Police model, English Field, Special Field, etc.

This is the most reliable repeating shotgun in existence.

But, if one is injured, the pump action may not work well for them.

Also, if one is not experienced with pumps, he will be much slower.

As a duck / dove / quail hunter, I don't have that problem.

leVieux

GUNNER51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2017
    TOMBALL
    Dear sirs and madams,

You can not go wrong with a trusty old pump shotgun! My Mossberg 500 has served me well for field and defense use. I have never needed it for the latter though! Lord willing!

Thanks kindly,
    GUNNER51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2017
    DFW Area
    Between the two I would opt for the Mossberg 930.

That being said I am in the market for a semi auto shotgun and I am looking at a Benelli. Until then I am happy with my Remington 870.

Last edited:

Laser1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2015
    I am partial to my Remington 1100's. They are easy to clean and maintain and go boom every time. The 1100 tacticals are out there and are reasonably priced but you have too look for them. If I had to choose between the Beretta and the Mossberg, my choice would be the Beretta. A friend of mine had a Mossberg 930 and had problems with it failing to feed, eject and stovepipes. He had the gun worked on several times, it would work fine for a while and then start malfunctioning again. He ended up trading for a Benelli which he was quite pleased with. Not saying the Mossberg is a bad gun, he may have got a lemon. I've had several Mossberg pumps and never had an issue but I've never owned a Mossberg semi-auto.

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I will revive this thread. I own all 3 of the ones you asked about "OP". The 930 is a good shotgun but mine was initially ammo sensitive ( it needed to be run with at least 1350 FPS ammo until it was broken in), now it runs with almost anything. The Linberta is nice for the price and has run on any ammo but I honestly haven't shot it that much.
    The Beretta 1301 has been a great shotgun and has run anything I have fed it (approx 1200 rounds so far). I really like Benelli's but for the price difference I would buy the Beretta 1301 T, and did I mention that the 1301 fires "REALLY" fast? Is accurate and extremely light weight?

Top Bottom