DK Firearms

Our culture is becoming obsessed with "safety." (Rant!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've come to the conclusion that we as a culture are becoming too enamored of "safety". We hear that safety is "job 1!" and I've even seen a contractor's company logo bragging about them being a "safe contractor". When I saw that, all I could think was that I don't give a **** how safe your contracting company is - are you going to build what I want for a reasonable price, within quality guidelines and finish it on time?

Safety is not your primary job, people. The job is your primary job. Unless you work for the government, if you don't get results, you ain't going to have a job for long. Sitting in the break room and staying safe doesn't get work done and if work isn't getting done, customers aren't paying you.

"Report all injuries immediately." Yeah, if I stopped work to go show my boss every new scratch, I'd hardly get any work done. In my line of work, sometimes you have a choice between tearing the whole car apart or forcing your hand between two cheese-grater surfaces to reach what needs to be done. Guess which choice makes us money?

In the real world, your feelings and intentions matter for shit. What matters is what you can do. What matters is if you can do it as well or better than the other guy. What matters is the job. Suck it up and do it, or step aside for someone who can.

I'm not saying take stupid risks. I'm saying that sometimes there are acceptable risks. That sometimes you're going to bleed a little for a paycheck.

Oh, you cut yourself? You need stitches? Boo fucking hoo, did you get the job done? No? Here's some superglue.
    ARJ Defense ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Maybe I'm not familiar with these "acceptable" risks... I'm not going to lose a hand or fingers for a paycheck.

Sometimes you run that risk, but you have to weigh the odds of it happening when you see the chance of it. Any time you work around something like a saw, there's that risk, and you'll never eliminate it without eliminating the saw. And as long as people are working around saws, some of 'em are going to lose fingers or hands to them.

A lot of the time, we need to just recognize that shit happens and go on with our day instead of jumping up and down and demanding (then taking) action on the issue.

So far, my list of work-related injuries stands at:
    • Partially severed extensor tendon, right index finger. Got back about 90% mobility, got a swollen-looking knuckle and some scars out of it. And stitches that I'll carry in that tendon forever. I could invent a device to prevent it from happening again, but it would reduce productivity and increase cost for a fairly uncommon injury.
    • Chipped front tooth. Standing under the car I was working on, the socket slipped and somehow popped off the extension, fell and broke a tooth. Had a dentist put it back together. Not going to wear a mask at work to protect my grille because that would be a pain in the ass, even if it would help protect my eyes.
    • Damage disc at L5-S1. Did it laying across the door sill in a '68 Corvette when I was converting it to power brakes. Not much I could have done to prevent it. Be careful how you lift, I guess. But sometimes I still have to lift things that are heavy enough to be "unsafe." But you gotta do what you gotta do.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Lol, that's a bit ridiculous.

Not if you're extremely safety-minded, know what's inside a car battery and have actually seen one explode when connected to a charger.

I've seen it. It was AWESOME. Would have been less awesome if it had exploded in my face, but hey. Shit happens.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Agreed.

I believe our society is becoming wussified.

You can't even turn a corner without being able to sanitize your hands. Those stupid things are everywhere. God forbid our body actually has to fight off a germ.

I bleed almost everyday. Construction almost requires it. I just shrug my shoulders and keep on working. The bad ones get a liberal application of duct tape. Life goes on.

I am not afraid to give up some skin to get the job done. I think my paycheck reflects it actually.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    About the only things I will not go onto a drill pad with are steel toe boots, a hard hat and a h2s monitor. Other than that all bets are off. I've got pics of myself on a drilling platform wearing shorts and a tshirt (with my steel toes, hardhat and h2s monitor).

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I guess it varies based on the situation. However, I won't handle chemicals without eye pro. Possibility of losing my vision vs. ~45 seconds of having to step outside and clean my goggles off when they fog up. Weigh the options out I suppose.

Back when I was doing my research I was told, in the interest of time, to mix the compounds on the work bench instead of in the hood. I decided not to, and it just so happens that one of the batches I had mixed up had a violent reaction and blew up. If I had tried to save that extra time, I would've got a nice big face full of carcinogenic chemicals.

But again, I guess just weigh your options out. /shrug

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    you say shit happens.... and shit does happen.... im not saying be ultra super duper careful that it gets in the way of productivty, but why risk life and limb if you dont have to.....

all of this safety first is because of our "sue your ass" mentality... companies dont care about you, they care about the bottom dollar.... and that means having safety programs that prevent lawsuits.....

Mr. Bojangles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Humble
    It goes far beyond just the work environment. Think of the shit we (some of us) used to do when we were little without all the concern for safety. It wouldn't surprise me if in 10 years, kids are wearing helmets to walk down the street. Our culture has become paranoid about safety and the risk of something bad happening. I used to be gone for hours when I was in elementary and my parents weren't ever concerned that something bad was going to happen. Nowadays, parents won't even let their kids walk home from school because they're paranoid about their kids being safe walking 10 minutes to get home. Apparently there's a child molester on every corner just waiting to snatch up kids, just like there's an accident around every corner in the work place that will kill or maim you. I could write a book about this subject so I'll end my rant as well.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    It goes far beyond just the work environment. Think of the shit we (some of us) used to do when we were little without all the concern for safety. It wouldn't surprise me if in 10 years, kids are wearing helmets to walk down the street. Our culture has become paranoid about safety and the risk of something bad happening. I used to be gone for hours when I was in elementary and my parents weren't ever concerned that something bad was going to happen. Nowadays, parents won't even let their kids walk home from school because they're paranoid about their kids being safe walking 10 minutes to get home. Apparently there's a child molester on every corner just waiting to snatch up kids, just like there's an accident around every corner in the work place that will kill or maim you. I could write a book about this subject so I'll end my rant as well.

I agree with you and m sage..... our culture is over zeolous with safety. Call it the wussifation of America....

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    7anasyde.jpg

You were saying something about being obsessed with safety?

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I agree...No one is saying to do anything unsafe....but....we have (are) going beyond belief is safety issues. I think is is only one of the symptoms of the wussification of America...

Did any of our ancestors have a little sticker to park their wagon closer to the fire at night?

Did the old sod buster drop his plow at 62 and say: Where in the hell is the Pony Express with my check?

Sorry for the rant.....but darn it we have have become soft......

Top Bottom