Target Sports

Our culture is becoming obsessed with "safety." (Rant!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    I don't have a single problem with being safe, as long as we agree that my safety is my concern and your safety is your concern.

When YOU try to make YOUR SAFETY become MY concern, then there's going to be a problem.
    Venture Surplus ad

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I found some old pictures of me in my hoodlum days from about 30+ years ago. I just got clean and sober about then. It wasn't the guy that you all know.......all huggy, sweet natured and nice.......snicker. It was from a time when we crushed heads and loved it!

I noticed that my finger was on the trigger of the pistols. Back then it was no big deal but today a pic like those would get everybody all gassy, outraged and there would be 500 posts about booger hooks on the trigger. If you think a finger on the trigger is bad......you should have seen some of the other crap we pulled back then!

I thought I would post some of the pics just for fun then thought about the whining that would result .................then said to Hell with it.

Flash

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I agree...No one is saying to do anything unsafe....but....we have (are) going beyond belief is safety issues. I think is is only one of the symptoms of the wussification of America...

Did any of our ancestors have a little sticker to park their wagon closer to the fire at night?

Did the old sod buster drop his plow at 62 and say: Where in the hell is the Pony Express with my check?

Sorry for the rant.....but darn it we have have become soft......

Exactly. When I was about 13, my grandparents bought my brother and I something that was taking the country by storm: Bicycle helmets. I think I wore it twice. Got chewed out a few times for not wearing it, kept right on not wearing it. I grew up right at the beginning of this wave (at least in my mind I did).

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    After spending 8 years in the military, when I got out and started to work on the civilian side...it was a HUGE culture-shock for me on how everyone tossed safety to the way-side and didn't worry about it. I mean, I pretty much learned how to work in a shop while in the military. But then, once I started really paying attention to how things were...yea, I get it. You gotta live a little more dangerous to make a buck in this economy, but at the same time use your head and don't **** up so big it takes you out. But yea-even until my last day working at that shop, I was constantly surprised at the lack of safety even just in the shop setting itself. That was even at a major dealership shop. But I've seen the opposite. When I was in the military, I had to do battery checks on numerous occasions wearing a full apron, goggles, face mask, plastic sleeves, and thick rubber gloves. You ever try to wrench a battery terminal and then take it off followed by safetly take off a metal hold down bracket while wearing thick, slippery, rubber gloves? They probably ADD risk to the situation! LMAO! But hey-its what the safety guys wanted and I had them hovering over me to make sure I was doing my job right.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Working "stupidly?" No, but being over safe can be just as bad. As a kid in the early 60s, the idea of bicycle helmets wasn't even hatched. On the weekends, my friends and I would go to whatever local construction was going on and ride around the site. Piled up dirt as make-shift launching ramps. The number of times we crashed and burned would put someone today into a frantic, manic rant about the unsafe conditions at that construction site and why wasn't it fenced in and locked up to keep innocent children away from those dangerous piles of dirt! While in the Army working on the H.A.W.K. surface to air missile system, I sliced and diced my hands and arms countless times reaching into small places to repair or replace something. Off to the medic? Hardly. Wipe off the blood with a rag and continue to march. As a civilian working on military weapons systems, again the slicing and dicing of hands and arms. Off to the hospital? Nope, same as the military...wipe off the blood and move on. I DO have some back problems, due to a shelf that wasn't secured that fell over and trapped me up against an ECCM (Electronic Counter Counter Measure) antenna.

What I'm saying is that injuries on the job DO happen and no amount of "safety programs" will halt all of them, even though in today's culture, it seems like they're trying to do just that. People get injured. People don't always pay attention or have just that one second of inattention that reaches out and grabs them. Safety programs only work when the HUMANS involved in the work pay attention. Otherwise, the Injury Monster jumps out and grabs your ass and smacks you down. After that happens, you REMEMBER where the Injury Monster lives and you avoid his ass by paying attention.

As for all this "sanitizing," that's going to come back and bite us on the ass. The human body has bacteria living on it. Much of that bacteria is good bacteria protecting us from some of the "nasty" shit out there. Continual sanitizing kills those good bacteria and opens us up to infection....or worse. Sure, sanitize before you eat...that's only common sense. Hell, before every meal my Mom or Grandmother would tell me to go wash my hands (many years before any kind of sanitizers were available, other than soap). The bottom line? Be careful but NOT paranoid. Not everything in the world is out to get you. But today's society seems to think we have to be paranoid not careful. It's gone to the full end of overzealous.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I watched Dr. Oz when he first came on the tube. At first, he talked about stuff that was interesting that no one else talked about. Imagine a show that talked about poop and how to keep poop from being a problem (too hard, proper diet, etc). It was worth seeing. Gradually, though, he focused on things that we need to be afraid of and that included just about everything on the planet. The LAST show I watched had a segment about the contamination and health risks that occurred from flushing the toilet with the lid UP!

I turned the show OFF and never went back. Enough is enough!

Bicycle helmets. I think I wore it twice. Got chewed out a few times for not wearing it, kept right on not wearing it

This is another pet peeve of mine. I ride bicycles a lot and rode 3,414 miles in 2011. I wear a wide brimmed hat to keep the sun off of me but continually get bashed by idiots who say I should wear a "Helmet" instead of that hat. I tell them that I rode motorcycles for 50 years and went from wearing NO helmet to wearing a helmet all the time. At least on a cycle, the helmet is a real safety device and not a goofy piece of foam with a colored plastic shell! You may as well tape a piece of foam to your head and be secure in your delusion that you are now much safer!

Flash

Last edited:

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Safety within reason is simply good common sense.

But this ridiculous notion that we can make "everything safe for everybody" is frikkin nuts. We have so much "safety" garbage on cars these days that the message is that the driver doesn't need to be a good driver... but he'll be safe.

Bullshit.

When YOU try to make YOUR SAFETY become MY concern, then there's going to be a problem.

That's how liberals operate. They have to force YOU to comply with their way of thinking...

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    th?id=H.4808581804590030&pid=1.jpg

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I got tired of the safety, so I switched my carry gun from a 1911 to a Glock - LOL

Seriously though, I have no problem with people who assess risks for themselves and comes to a different conclusion than me (from either end of the spectrum). I just have a problem when they want to pass a law to force me to follow suit (or wont shut up about it).

This goes both ways though. If you think I'm TOO safe, especially with my kids, STFU and keep it to yourself. You'd think with people not ever wanting to actually interact these days they'd be a little better at minding their own business.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You'd think with people not ever wanting to actually interact these days they'd be a little better at minding their own business.

That's somewhat the opposite of what goes on. With all these "social network" sites, everyone is busy telling everyone else when they eat, drink, shit, f**k and every other mundane action in their day to day lives. The same goes for the liberal asswipes that demand that they're right and everyone else is wrong. The news services are connected all over the world more so now than ever before so world events are shown nearly real time. So, with all that, these safety whores are on the front line of wanting to make EVERYONE follow their view of safety, no matter if those others give a flying rat's ass or not. And the same safety whores have BIG mouths so the legislators are slammed with all the garbage spewed. In the end, the loud-mouthed safety whores get legislation passed that would never be considered....except now the legislators are leaning towards the same liberal asswipery(?) as the rest of the asswipes.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Thinking people do risk assessments all the time.

My boss let me run the elevator and stamping machine when I was 16YO, even though Federal rules said I had to be 18YO. Boss trusted me more than some Federal bureaucrat.

Years later, when planning for large scale airborne operations, experience told us that 3% of all jumpers would get injured, so we made sure we had enough medics on the drop zone to police up casualties. It was unavoidable in a hazardous undertaking: Stuff happens.

Better to prepare for the worst, and be thankful if it is a broken leg instead of a fatality.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    "warning gun will fire with magazine removed" :rolleyes:

That's the exact one I was thinking!

When I rule the world we'll have backwards safety messages for morons that help speed along the natural selection process. "Warning: To check status of chamber, point towards genitals and pull trigger."

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012

When I rule the world we'll have backwards safety messages for morons that help speed along the natural selection process. "Warning: To check status of chamber, point towards genitals and pull trigger."

Sorry this one made my wife look at me like I needed help because I literally lol'd

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Sorry this one made my wife look at me like I needed help because I literally lol'd

It has happened, though.

Local News | Man accidentally shoots himself in testicles | Seattle Times Newspaper

Chandler man accidentally shoots himself in groin

Michael Smeriglio Accidentally Shoots Own Penis, Testicle; Friend Arrested On Drug Charge

Wonders if London was anywhere near any of those people....... :p

Top Bottom