• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alanwk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    El Paso, TX
    My question is: I have moved back to Texas from California (a brain fart) where I did have a CCW permit. I also have out of state permits from Utah and Arizona. These (not CA) permits are recognized by Texas. Do I still need a TX LTC or am I good? Thanks
    Capitol Armory ad

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    My question is: I have moved back to Texas from California (a brain fart) where I did have a CCW permit. I also have out of state permits from Utah and Arizona. These (not CA) permits are recognized by Texas. Do I still need a TX LTC or am I good? Thanks

As Cam said, no permit is necessary for carrying. An LTC does come in handy for a few things, though (pretty sure it's a good idea to have on if you're armed and get pulled over in a school zone). Out of state permits won't let you skip the background check when you purchase a new firearm, and don't count as a form of state-issued ID as far as I know, while a Texas LTC does.

How the hell did you get a permit in Commieland? Do you know important people? Who do you have dirt on?

alanwk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    El Paso, TX
    As Cam said, no permit is necessary for carrying. An LTC does come in handy for a few things, though (pretty sure it's a good idea to have on if you're armed and get pulled over in a school zone). Out of state permits won't let you skip the background check when you purchase a new firearm, and don't count as a form of state-issued ID as far as I know, while a Texas LTC does.

How the hell did you get a permit in Commieland? Do you know important people? Who do you have dirt on?
    Lucky I guess. The sheriff of my county was a supporter of 2A and very pro gun. So it was a lot of hoops to go through, but very possible.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

I haven’t lived in Texas since 2008, but keep my Texas licenses up to date. If things really deteriorate, I’d prefer to be in Texas.

The Texas “CL”, or whatever it is currently called, tells any LEO not only that one is non-criminal, but that one thinks enough to keep the permits current.

There are certain differences b/t permitted and non-permitted CC in most states, let others here tell what those are, as I haven’t stayed current.

Anyway, that’s my ‘’theory’’.

Welcome back to the South !

I often say “The South has risen again; this time it is called “TEXAS”.

leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    My TN Permit became invalid this week when I surrendered my TN Drivers License at the Texas DPS. Getting a TX LTC is on my list but will need to wait until other items get completed.
    <>

Your “invalid” permit still ID’s you as a non-criminal.

All y’all moving back surely make me want to go, too !

<>

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    And there will be 27 other states with permitless carry shortly. So if you can plan your travel to or through those states you won't need a permit at all. But an LTC here does provide some extra benefits and is easy to aquire.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I got my Texas LTC two years ago and it does have benefits. The biggie is not having to do a background check when buying a gun, just show the license and off you go after filling out a paper. Despite having a license there are businesses that can refuse you entry unless your a LEO, even your friend or relative's place. I have seen this sign displayed very clearly at places I visit , requiring a LTC to enter if armed.

1684550510781.jpeg

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I got my Texas LTC two years ago and it does have benefits. The biggie is not having to do a background check when buying a gun, just show the license and off you go after filling out a paper. Despite having a license there are businesses that can refuse you entry unless your a LEO, even your friend or relative's place. I have seen this sign displayed very clearly at places I visit , requiring a LTC to enter if armed.

View attachment 388436
    That's not an enforceable sign. They can only ask you to leave.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    @alanwk , While you were in CA., did you think to troll the locals with comments
    about how much nicer it was in TX than CA.? (like out-of-towners do when they come to TX).

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas

I know you know this but only a Texas LTC is valid for the school zone in Texas exemption. The out of state ones don't give an exemption from federal law.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas

View attachment 388436
    I believe this sign is no longer valid.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    They havent been valid since official signs became required. We need to work on getting rid of enforceable signs like other states have done. These signs don't make anyone safer. Dirt bags will shoot you anywhere they decide to.

Last edited:

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Traveling up to NY to visit family in a few weeks. Looking at traveling with my gun, all the states I pass through are okay with my TX LTC. Only problem NY a no go.

Top Bottom