Patriot Mobile

Over the counter transfer at Academy Sports?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkhorse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    El Paso, TX
    Hello everyone, longtime guest - finally registered and am posting.
    Have a question (admin, please feel free to move this if there is a better section for it).
    We went into Academy Sports the other night and decided to buy a rifle (Remington 783) for my wife.
    While filling out the paperwork, she made a mistake on the firearms over the counter transfer and when the clerk checked it with his answer sheet, he said he could not sell her the gun for 30 days. He had not processed anything yet, nothing inputted into the computer for the background check.
    Why couldn't she just fill out another form?
    Is the 30 day temporary ban only an Academy rule or is that part of the Federal laws?
    I think its ridiculous that she now has to wait 30 days to buy the gun due to a simple mistake.
    The clerk said that even if you messed up something like your zip code the result would be the same.
    People arnt perfect and Im sure mistakes sometimes get made.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Steve
    Venture Surplus ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That sounds like corporate policy to me especially since he hadn't tried to process it yet.

Many of the big box stores are very strict when it comes to screw ups with gun stuff.

I have never heard of that before but am really not surprised.

If you are still ready to buy try a different Academy if possible. That may backfire though if it is in their computer. I have no clue how far they would take something like that.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Actually sounds like some low level mouth breather making up corporate policy.

Go in and talk to the manager. Or...wait till Monday and CALL the corporate offices and start asking questions.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    My favorite Academy story
    Imagine the 400 pound guy standing in the raised gun counter. I asked to look at a Taurus 1911. Behind him is a 15' banner that reads ALL SALES FINAL NO RETURNS. He gives me the gun and announces, "them there Taurusess's is some good Guns, we hardly never get none of em back." I glanced up at the banner and replied, I'll bet you don't.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    What was the mistake? This is not a federal law of any kind. The mistake is just normally corrected, and initialed, and moved forward. Depending on section, either buyer or seller initials.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Download and PRINT ATF form 4473. Fill it out at home. Bring it with you and offer it to the sales guy.
    If the form needs to be 'ONE OF THEIRS', then COPY EXACTLY what you brought.

You can work on the form at home with NO DISTRACTIONS if you are unfamiliar with it.

Search for........

atf-f-4473-1.pdf

bob

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Bought a gun at Academy just before Christmas. Did in fact make some stupid mistake. The guy corrected it and I initialled it. Left with the gun.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I made a mistake on a form 4473.

I was given a new form to start over again as I was advised no mistakes are allowed on this form.

Pretty simple.

I filled it out with no mistakes and left with the gun I purchased.

This was done at a small sporting goods store.

It sounds like someone at A. made their own mistake.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I don't think the best and brightest work there. Some good folks, some that should be asking if you want fries with that.

There's one at the Mesquite store that insists that he loads his 10mm ammo up to .41 mag levels.

I'm betting if his mom knew he was playing with powder and primers in his room she would be rather upset.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I made a mistake on a form 4473.

I was given a new form to start over again as I was advised no mistakes are allowed on this form.

Pretty simple.

I filled it out with no mistakes and left with the gun I purchased.

This was done at a small sporting goods store.

It sounds like someone at A. made their own mistake.
    There actually not supposed to hand you are new form.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    No new form for mistake and the customer has to make corrections, not the sales person. We do the computer form, no do-overs. Period. When we had the form, the only way you got a second is if the first was not readable. And the both forms were stapled together.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I don't think the best and brightest work there. Some good folks, some that should be asking if you want fries with that.

I was looking at a lever action in "45" the other day. I asked "Do you have any 44 mags in the back?" He said "No, just 9 and 40".

rsscoggins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2014
    TEXAS
    What was the mistake? This is not a federal law of any kind. The mistake is just normally corrected, and initialed, and moved forward. Depending on section, either buyer or seller initials.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Yep, I bought a shotgun in the Garland TX Academy - made a mistake and the guy had me make the change and then initial it. Walked out with said shotgun.

HandgunHTR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    From the ATF themselves:

"Errors on printed forms may be corrected prior to completion of the transaction by marking through the error (for example, by striking through the entry), entering the correct information, and initialing and dating each correction. In addition, if the FFL or the buyer discover that an ATF Form 4473 (or e-Form 4473)is incomplete or improperly completed after the firearm has been transferred, and the FFL or the buyer wish to make a record of the discovery, then the FFL should photocopy the inaccurate form (or e-Form 4473) and make the necessary additions or revisions to the photocopy.The FFL should only make changes to Sections B and D. The buyer should only make changes to Sections A and C. The person who made the changes should initial and date the changes. The corrected photocopy should be attached to the original Form 4473 (or e-Form 4)"

This is from an ATF Newsletter (https://www.atf.gov/file/5046/download) and is in the section that clarifies ATF Ruling 2008-3.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom