Target Sports

Over the counter transfer at Academy Sports?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    No new form for mistake and the customer has to make corrections, not the sales person. We do the computer form, no do-overs. Period. When we had the form, the only way you got a second is if the first was not readable. And the both forms were stapled together.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

New forms are allowed prior to initiation of NICS check. It is in the instructions.
    Hurley's Gold

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    New forms are allowed prior to initiation of NICS check. It is in the instructions.
    This is incorrect. NICS has nothing to do with it, as not all 4473 require NICS. An error is either corrected by initial, or a copy is made of original and copy is altered only. ETA, both original and copy are kept on file as one.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Correctipn only occurs prior to signing. Once you sigh saying all info is true and correct, it's done.
    Check it carefully before signing.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Only the academy has to offer is a low price. Worst gun counter employees I've dealt with anywhere (including Walmart).

I think everyone has at least one story of an Academy employing giving out stupid advice or totally incorrect information.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    This is incorrect. NICS has nothing to do with it, as not all 4473 require NICS. An error is either corrected by initial, or a copy is made of original and copy is altered only. ETA, both original and copy are kept on file as one.

Like I said, It is in the instructions.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Once again, read the instructions. Errors can be corrected after signing.
    I understand what you are saying. But unless you want the ATF jumping down your throat and like getting sued like that one gun store, once you sign saying those are your answers, those are your answers. When we did the paper, and even on the computer forms, I tell people to read the questions carfully then check them before you sign. The computer gives no descretion. Once you sign, you are done. Period. no correction, no do-over.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I understand what you are saying. But unless you want the ATF jumping down your throat and like getting sued like that one gun store, once you sign saying those are your answers, those are your answers. When we did the paper, and even on the computer forms, I tell people to read the questions carfully then check them before you sign. The computer gives no descretion. Once you sign, you are done. Period. no correction, no do-over.

Ok I do not use the computer, I use the paper forms. They are easy to shred and start over.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Even the paper forms. If you put a pen to it at all, even one letter and the changed your mind, it gets put in the box and saved. Given the chance to check it, once you sign, done deal.
    The only time we shred one is if the computer kicks out more than one of the same form. Once you print it, if you don't exit out, it will keep printing them about every 2 minutes or so.
    And yes, I have had people start filling out the form, get halfway through, and then ask me if it's legal because they don't know if they crime they committed is a felony or not. In 16 years, I have seen a LOT of stupidity on those forms.

Edit: yes, I have even made them myself. Mis-spelled my own damn name. Fucking idgit.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Even the paper forms. If you put a pen to it at all, even one letter and the changed your mind, it gets put in the box and saved.

No the instructions are clear on when it needs to be saved.

This debate would end if someone besides than me would actually read the directions on the 4473.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Even the paper forms. If you put a pen to it at all, even one letter and the changed your mind, it gets put in the box and saved. Given the chance to check it, once you sign, done deal.
    The only time we shred one is if the computer kicks out more than one of the same form. Once you print it, if you don't exit out, it will keep printing them about every 2 minutes or so.
    And yes, I have had people start filling out the form, get halfway through, and then ask me if it's legal because they don't know if they crime they committed is a felony or not. In 16 years, I have seen a LOT of stupidity on those forms.

Edit: yes, I have even made them myself. Mis-spelled my own damn name. Fucking idgit.

Seems legit to me...

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Download and PRINT ATF form 4473. Fill it out at home. Bring it with you and offer it to the sales guy.
    If the form needs to be 'ONE OF THEIRS', then COPY EXACTLY what you brought.

You can work on the form at home with NO DISTRACTIONS if you are unfamiliar with it.

Search for........

atf-f-4473-1.pdf

bob

^^^ Excellent advice.

Being an oldfart, I naturally made one typo error on a 4473 at heritage and the clerk just said correct & initial it.
    No bigee at all.

Last edited:

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Like I said, It is in the instructions.

Ok I do not use the computer, I use the paper forms. They are easy to shred and start over.

No the instructions are clear on when it needs to be saved.

This debate would end if someone besides than me would actually read the directions on the 4473.
    I'm very familiar (daily) with form 4473. It says absolutely nothing about destroying a form and starting over. So what exactly are you saying is in the instructions? BATFE was specific in stating one form only and once firearm is transferred, you don't ever touch original... Ever.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

HandgunHTR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    I'm very familiar (daily) with form 4473. It says absolutely nothing about destroying a form and starting over. So what exactly are you saying is in the instructions? BATFE was specific in stating one form only and once firearm is transferred, you don't ever touch original... Ever.

Exactly, once it is transferred. It isn't transferred until question 21, 22 or 23 is filled out by the Transferor (in fact the form states "Questions 21, 22, or 23 Must Be Completed Prior To The Transfer of the Firearms(s)).

So, until that section is filled out and the firearm physically handed over you the law is silent on how to correct mistakes. There is a clarification, which I posted earlier that states you can line it out, initial and date and then put the correct information, but there is no prohibition from shredding it and starting over. If there is, I would like to see it in writing.

Once the firearm is transfered, then the language is clear on how to correct mistakes. It is in the instructions of the 4473 as well as stated in the clarification that I posted above.

This goes for e-4473 as well.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Exactly, once it is transferred. It isn't transferred until question 21, 22 or 23 is filled out by the Transferor (in fact the form states "Questions 21, 22, or 23 Must Be Completed Prior To The Transfer of the Firearms(s)).

So, until that section is filled out and the firearm physically handed over you the law is silent on how to correct mistakes. There is a clarification, which I posted earlier that states you can line it out, initial and date and then put the correct information, but there is no prohibition from shredding it and starting over. If there is, I would like to see it in writing.

Once the firearm is transfered, then the language is clear on how to correct mistakes. It is in the instructions of the 4473 as well as stated in the clarification that I posted above.

This goes for e-4473 as well.

Correct, that was my point, instructions say nothing about being able to destroy forms and start over, only what to do post transfer.

While you are supposed to complete those questions prior to transfer, it's transferred once the customer takes possession of firearm out the door, but I suppose that's semantics as you'd then have an incomplete form and that violates the BATFE rules to begin with and shouldn't be an FFL if you're failing that part. So moot point, I guess.

I agree that it would be nice to have something in writing for clarification. Until then I will just listen to what the ATF agent told me to do (because she said it could be viewed at fraud which I'm sure is an extreme case) and since the ATF rules specifically say you can edit and then initial, that's what I'll do rather than take a chance to destroy and start over .

Tell that to Walmarts computer.

Walmart isn't the only one. Lots of places are like that (Cabela's comes to mind). Probably more of a liability thing rather than an ATF requirement.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom