• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • win1200riot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2022
    Illinois
    Keto friendly eating style could probably work well for those who don't tolerate carbs as well. Time restricted eating for an 8 hour window, no matter when that is, can be beneficial to allow a persons body to rest and recover from digestion. (Intermittent Fasting)

I believe there is some benefit to the ancestral style of feast and famine, undereating and overeating phases, of what is described in the Warrior Diet book. Obviously eating whole foods, being active, moderation of less healthy items and sushine every day is a great approach.
    Military Camp

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Prior to COVID-19, I was on a weight-loss competition, and joined a TEAM...

My team was "OVER-healthy" individuals, and we done good...
    I actually lost like ~20 LBS, just cutting carbs, absolutely no additional exercise...
    I was the winner of my team, as they weighed themselves AFTER Easter chow, 2020...
    I did BEFORE Easter chow...

I went from beer drinking, to 1/2 shot-gin and tonics,
    Carbs for every meal, to pseudo-Keto every meal.
    I had minimal carbs breakfast, then cut the rest of carbs for the day.

COVID hit, and work travel let me gain over 30 LBS. back,
    as there was less of a selection, especially when traveling to OK and LA.

Been trying to get back to Keto-esque meals, but I love me some beer...
    IPAs to be specific. Elysian Space Dust and VooDoo Ranger Imperial IPAs both at 9% APV, BUT
    I have been pretty good about drinking Michelob Ultras, keeping me at my current weight, for the most part.
    It's eating carbs that I really have issues with, and work stress hadn't been helpful,
    especially with work only allowing $50/day per diem, and you can't eat very healthy on that, unless you eat fast-food salads all day...

It's really weird but I was having a VooDoo Ranger last night for the first time at almost the exact moment you said this.

In August I stepped on a scale and it said 153. My pants were tight, and I could tell I wasn't in good shape. In 2015 I was 138 and hitting the gym 5 days a week and eating whatever I wanted. So I cut out red meat, most sugar, carbs, and hit the gym 3 to 4 days a week and intermittently fast 16 hours a day. I've lost 10 pounds, and increased my muscle mass from about 100 pounds to 116 pounds.

The fact is we eat too much too often and we're lazy. That's why Americans and now the rest of the world are getting fat.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    >

One of my points is that extensive multi-Million $ University research by actual Scientists proved that “Keto” and Adkins are not the best ways to manage weight problems, long range.

They, and I, used ketogenic diets decades before “Keto” & Adkins were devised, and have definitely found something much better and less restrictive.

The reasons that we Americans are more obese than those of any other nation are:

Hurried mealtimes

”Hidden” sugars / deceptive foods labeling

&

Cultural overeating: “Children starve in India, eat it ALL’, “supersizing”, massive portions, excessive breakfasts, etc.

BTW, “Keto” refers to systemic ketogenesis caused by severe carbohydrate restriction, which “numbs” hunger. Neither of the fad diets commonly reaches actual
    >

One of my points is that extensive multi-Million $ University research by actual Scientists proved that “Keto” and Adkins are not the best ways to manage weight problems, long range.

They, and I, used ketogenic diets decades before “Keto” & Adkins were devised, and have definitely found something much better and less restrictive.

The reasons that we Americans are more obese than those of any other nation are:

Hurried mealtimes

&

Cultural overeating: “Children starve in India, eat it ALL’, “supersizing”, massive portions, excessive breakfasts, etc.

BTW, “Keto” refers to systemic ketogenesis caused by severe carbohydrate restriction, which “numbs” hunger. Neither of the fad diets commonly reaches actual ketotic levels.

leVieux
    >

Hurried mealtimes

&

BTW, “Keto” refers to systemic ketogenesis caused by severe carbohydrate restriction, which “numbs” hunger. Neither of the fad diets commonly reaches actual ketotic levels.

leVieux
    Pleas cite your university study. In my 66 years diet recommended plans have changed as much as climate scares. I’m still not dead from glaciers, acid rain or ozone holes. I have had enough chemistry so that I can smell ketones in my urine. They also sell test strips if you are not sure. I also only eat from about 11:00 AM to 6:30 PM. I eat no sugars ( had to give up my DPs ,MMs and Reeces. Very little white flower ( corn bread is one of my cheats ) and no salt. Works for me.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    IMO, the elephant in the room issue is self-discipline. This is my personal experience, eat or drink what you will, just in moderation. I love beer, chocolate, desserts, steaks etc., I still will enjoy them, just less, and less often. Also, I think culture plays a role, my Germanic culture, beer, this plays a big part. Also the sedentary lifestyle many people "enjoy", have you ever noticed how many welfare recipients are FAT, do nothing, have your needs met by Uncle Sugar... oh well enough of my wandering pontification.
    Of course it is not the people - it is the forks, knives, and spoons.

But, seriously, part of the problem is that many people have never talked to a professional and they blow off advice from anyone they consider to be an amateur on the subject of nutrition (or anything else for that matter).

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    It's really all about calories... There are more, or less, healthy and satisfying ways to limit their intake, but if too many go in, the excess accumulate, too often as fat.
    Its more about the KIND of calories..all calories are NOT equal
    If you ate 3 cracker barrel biscuits at about 450 calories your body would convert that to glucose easily..processed grains.
    And you elevate blood glucose and insulin levels
    The endorphins hit your brain and in a couple hrs you can be craving more carbs.

Now consume 3 eggs and about 3 ounces of steak.
    Virtually zero carbs and sugar
    Youll feel full for hours..much longer

No insulin spike..and your body will burn about 20-30 % of the calories in the steak during digestion.
    Its calles TEF..
    Thermal Effect of Feeding.

You can eat more of certain types of calories in a diet that keeps your insulin low as opposed to high carb/high sugar/high insulin calories

The calories in calories out model is flawed at best

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I was on the Wondr Program Sponsored by Work. it works. I lost over 30 Pounds 195 to 156 lbs. It's basic tenets eat only when you are Hungry, Stop eating when you are full. Avoid as much sugar as you can. I will admit I do not eat very healthy, mostly meat and potatoes. I have also been able to stop taking my mealtime shots of Humolog. My A1C is 5.3

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Its more about the KIND of calories..all calories are NOT equal
    The calories in calories out model is flawed at best
    Thank you very much.

I was going to say something similar but I'm not capable of being that diplomatic on this subject. You've saved me from making an ass of myself. You can't know how much I appreciate that.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Thank you very much.

I was going to say something similar but I'm not capable of being that diplomatic on this subject. You've saved me from making an ass of myself. You can't know how much I appreciate that.
    Wow..this needs to be recorded..I have been labeled as diplomatic!
    I take it as a great compliment from you my friend

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    That's seriously oversimplified. It's possible to simultaneously cut calories and put on weight if other things are happening at the same time.

There are more than a few folks who have been diagnosed with Type 2 DM, cut their calories and started packing on the weight...all because they were prescribed Actos.

Yes, that's an edge case. But it demonstrates that losing weight is vastly more complicated than a simple "calories in/calories out" ratio.
    Actually NO. Important factors are Human nature, hurried mealtimes, manipulation of food contents by mfgr’s, deceptive labeling, inadequate exercise, etc.

Funny how the thread title is "Overeating"... That's what I'm talking about...

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Less carbs are the diet for me and smaller portions do not matter that much, in fact someties I eat larger portions than before. I am not on Atkins nor on KETO; I am on a lower carb diet with most of the junk food I used to eat cut out of it but nowhere nearly as strict as those named diets. Surprisingly, I eat more fast food now than I have in over 20-25 years and still lose weight.

I started to lose weight last January. I have dropped between 38 & 39 pounds and have kept it off with some slight fluctuation now and then but over all a loss. When I saw my doctor a month after my weigh-in at 243, she laughed and said a few pounds lost in a month is nothing! I told her my method was to lose weight slowly - even slower than a pound per week or so. I then asked her to imagine if I'd lose 1 pound per week for a year - would she think 52 pounds would be nothing significant - she laughed again. Well so far I have averaged almost 3.5 pounds per week; I weigh myself in the morning upon waking, no breakfast until after I check my weight (same as when I weighed 243 last January).

During the upcoming holidays, I may gain a few pounds back but afterward I intend to get back on the losing side and hope to take off at least another 30 to 35 pounds over the coming year. I doubt I will gain it back because I am doing it slowly and because by doing it slowly I - in mind and body - have become used to eating as I do now even with some fairly frequent cheating thrown in now and again.

I believe the major fault of folks dieting today is that they want the weight off quickly because we live in a world where too many things are expected to be done very fast and thus they expect and crave speedy results with dieting. So, they do not acclimate to the new diet & the new them and revert back to the old fat slob self all too soon.

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Less carbs are the diet for me and smaller portions do not matter that much, in fact someties I eat larger portions than before. I am not on Atkins nor on KETO; I am on a lower carb diet with most of the junk food I used to eat cut out of it but nowhere nearly as strict as those named diets. Surprisingly, I eat more fast food now than I have in over 20-25 years and still lose weight.

I started to lose weight last January. I have dropped between 38 & 39 pounds and have kept it off with some slight fluctuation now and then but over all a loss. When I saw my doctor a month after my weigh-in at 243, she laughed and said a few pounds lost in a month is nothing! I told her my method was to lose weight slowly - even slower than a pound per week or so. I then asked her to imagine if I'd lose 1 pound per week for a year - would she think 52 pounds would be nothing significant - she laughed again. Well so far I have averaged almost 3.5 pounds per week; I weigh myself in the morning upon waking, no breakfast until after I check my weight (same as when I weighed 243 last January).

During the upcoming holidays, I may gain a few pounds back but afterward I intend to get back on the losing side and hope to take off at least another 30 to 35 pounds over the coming year. I doubt I will gain it back because I am doing it slowly and because by doing it slowly I - in mind and body - have become used to eating as I do now even with some fairly frequent cheating thrown in now and again.

I believe the major fault of folks dieting today is that they want the weight off quickly because we live in a world where too many things are expected to be done very fast and thus they expect and crave speedy results with dieting. So, they do not acclimate to the new diet & the new them and revert back to the old fat slob self all too soon.
    Well done.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Thank you very much.

I typed something out and deleted it. It wouldn't have been as thorough or concise.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom