• ...and so much more!
  • Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    Tell us about your gear with this one. Filter?
    It was a very overcast day and had been raining. No filter. I just shut the aperture down and shot aperture priority and set the iso to 50 so that the shutter stayed open a long time to give the running water that creamy look. I rarely shot with filters. Almost never.

Canon EOS 1Ds ,Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
    1/3s f/22.0 at 24.0mm iso50 full exif
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    Does anyone have close up photos of anything, substituting a macro lens with a telephoto one?
    54300897.jpg

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    This one is a failed picture that I tried to salvage and play around with effects.
    View attachment 331595
    You can use the shadows/highlights tool in Photoshop to help it a bit. It posterized it a bit but made it look a little like a painting.
    It may not be the effect you were looking for but would have probably been better with the original raw file.
    CDA7A944-3FBE-4536-9FF5-1721837AEEB1.jpeg

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    You can use the shadows/highlights tool in Photoshop to help it a bit. It posterized it a bit but made it look a little like a painting.
    It may not be the effect you were looking for but would have probably been better with the original raw file.
    View attachment 339781
    Despite it being a failed picture you knew. The painted look is what I went for in post edit.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Someday I'll buy nice filters. lol. I want to buy at least a prime lens and a wide angle.
    Inexpensive filters can have several problems including a color cast to the glass itself, the polarizing foils in a CPL and the same with ND Filters. In addition they need to be plano-perfect or they can have a slight optical effect. They also add two surfaces that can cause reflections and refraction. Filters should be multicoated and nano coated on top of that would be preferred.

I seldom used protective filters and never scratched a lens. I did and do use lens hoods which offered all the protection I needed to the front element.

While prime lenses are great, many zooms are now virtual equals. My only prime is a micro 105mm. When I shot 35mm, I had eight primes and eventually added one cheap zoom for one commercial assignment. I don't think I have a digital scan of that, however I do have a scan of something else done with the same technique. The primes I had were 20mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 55mm micro, 105mm and 200mm. Put all that in a bag with three bodies, motor drives, light balancing filters. vivitar 283 flashes, cable releases, cleaning supplies, Minolta IV meter and you have about 35 to 40 lbs on your shoulder.

Your camera came with a 16 to 50mm zoom right? That's about a 24mm equivalent wide angle on a full frame camera. How much wider do you want?

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Rose cleaned.jpg

This is the technique I bought a zoom for. The technique is to shoot multiple exposures with a 5mm zoom out and lighting change.
    First was the red exposure with the red filtered Vivatar 283 from behind then a second exposure withn no filter lit from the front right at about 45 degrees. This was shot on Kodachrome 64, one frame and printed on Cibachrome. This is a low res scan from a print. My wife's photo.

Some people see Snoopy in the shot and others see a man. What do you see?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...light balancing filters. vivitar 283 flashes, cable releases, cleaning supplies, Minolta IV meter...
    I see we came from the same era. I always made do with a Soligor spot meter, though, and kept the Zone System in mind, even when shooting 35.

Inexpensive filters can have several problems
    Here's adding another vote to that. If folks are going to use filters, they should get the absolute best quality they can.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Inexpensive filters can have several problems including a color cast to the glass itself, the polarizing foils in a CPL and the same with ND Filters. In addition they need to be plano-perfect or they can have a slight optical effect. They also add two surfaces that can cause reflections and refraction. Filters should be multicoated and nano coated on top of that would be preferred.

I seldom used protective filters and never scratched a lens. I did and do use lens hoods which offered all the protection I needed to the front element.

While prime lenses are great, many zooms are now virtual equals. My only prime is a micro 105mm. When I shot 35mm, I had eight primes and eventually added one cheap zoom for one commercial assignment. I don't think I have a digital scan of that, however I do have a scan of something else done with the same technique. The primes I had were 20mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 55mm micro, 105mm and 200mm. Put all that in a bag with three bodies, motor drives, light balancing filters. vivitar 283 flashes, cable releases, cleaning supplies, Minolta IV meter and you have about 35 to 40 lbs on your shoulder.

Your camera came with a 16 to 50mm zoom right? That's about a 24mm equivalent wide angle on a full frame camera. How much wider do you want?
    I see your points. I only see adding two more lens. As for filters I think I'll just order a nice one. I'm mindful of my gear. Only time a filter might have saved me was a tree branch poked my filter. Everyone has OCD to some level but this would be my ocd. I have a bit of it with tools. I view tools as crude or precision. I take care of my machinist with care I would never give a spud wrench. I view a camera lens as precision tooling...Just for light. Still you get my point.
    I'm learning to use a lens for as many jobs as possible and understand the features my Nikon offers. My telephoto combined with Nikons focus peak feature goes a long way.
    Bags...Bags man. So far I'm packing lightly. Upgraded to a better tripod.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    View attachment 339875

This is the technique I bought a zoom for. The technique is to shoot multiple exposures with a 5mm zoom out and lighting change.
    First was the red exposure with the red filtered Vivatar 283 from behind then a second exposure withn no filter lit from the front right at about 45 degrees. This was shot on Kodachrome 64, one frame and printed on Cibachrome. This is a low res scan from a print. My wife's photo.

Some people see Snoopy in the shot and others see a man. What do you see?
    lol A wolf.

Top Bottom