ARJ Defense ad

Physical fitness... Anybody here work out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Partychief67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fannin County, Texas
    I haven't formally exercised in years and years but get a moderate amount of exercise in my work as a land surveyor so I'm somewhat decent and not morbidly obese.

Well the doc dropped the hammer last week and says I need to lose 15 or 20 more pounds and kick in formalized exercise program.

So those of you who are already into it, please throw some ideas at me. Is a big gym membership worth the money or am I better off just to start walking or running every day? How about a home weight bench? Is that better than the gym membership?

Also, those who are in a similar set of circumstances with ole doc sawbones, is it better to break into it gradually or give up the couch cold turkey?

I would love to hear any and all info you have to offer!
    Texas SOT

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Anything that requires movement other than laying on the couch is better than nothin.
    Gym memberships are depend on the person. I hate gyms because I aint going to use something some dude has been sweating all over!
    I have my own personal gym. You can buy fitness equipment " cheap" from the want adds becuse people buy that stuff and never use it.
    As far as a new routine, anything that gets the heart rate up is a good start.

Partychief67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fannin County, Texas
    Yea 380nato, I been seein those bowflex ads on TV and they look pretty good. I'm gonna have to prove to myself that I'll stick with it before I lay out a big chunk of cash though! I'm about to look on craigslist at the free weights right now.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    First, get a treadmill. Start by walking at about 3 MPH for a half hour every day. Bump up the speed when it starts to get boring. Don't be in a rush, and don't feel bad if you only get to 5-6 MPH as long as you can maintain it for the entire 30 minutes. If necessary, alternate speeds (running one day, walking the next) until you can run five days a week.

It helps to have a TV and DVD player so you have something to watch while you walk/run. It's also a good way to watch all those movies you've collected but not seen over the years.

Secondly, get a diet. You can't just exercise, you need to watch what you eat! I started eating bag salads with lo-fat dressing for dinner during the week. I generally take my lunch to work so I know it's healthy. For breakfast I usually just have yogurt with trail mix mixed in to it.

I've been doing this since early July and have shed around 30 pounds. I plateaued somewhere between 180-185 but considering I was nearly 220 pounds when I started at least I am back to the size I was when I retired from the military in 2006.

I don't run or diet on the weekends, but I find I still try to watch what I eat and especially what I snack. The only downside to all this is when I was in Germany in October, I found the heavy food there that I've loved for years was actually a bit too much for me now. That sucks, but considering I only get there about once or twice a year at most it is just something I'll have to deal with.

Oh, and adding some push-ups and sit-ups into your daily routine when you can will help as well!

Cheers! M2

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    My Bowflex gets little action unless I'm working on something specifically. A bicycle is a great way to get the cardio work in without high impact. I've got screws in one foot, so running is not on the schedule; but the 20 mile bike ride this AM was great. I've still managed to put on weight since moving to TX, even with the cycling, so it's not all about exercise. I can negate the calories burned this morning by having a candy bar and monster sweet tea(not at the same time, thank you). M2 has quite a bit more discipline than I have. Sugar is my biggest downfall; although, Texas food in general is a 'problem'.

Hope you find something that works! Good luck!

Partychief67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fannin County, Texas
    Thanks guys, and thanks for the thorough rundown majormadmax and coachrick. I forgot to mention that I have a metal plate and screws in my right arm just below the elbow. It's been there for over 8 years now and never gave me any trouble but I've lost the ability to fully extend that arm completely out flat. That may interfere with serious weights but the doc seems primarily concerned with the weight and cardio and gettin my resting pulse rate down lower.

This sux because I've never had any health problems and always been pretty fit right up till I hit my 40's (43 right now). Boy at that point it was like a switch got thrown or something and my spare tire started growing???

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    My Bowflex gets little action unless I'm working on something specifically. A bicycle is a great way to get the cardio work in without high impact. I've got screws in one foot, so running is not on the schedule; but the 20 mile bike ride this AM was great. I've still managed to put on weight since moving to TX, even with the cycling, so it's not all about exercise. I can negate the calories burned this morning by having a candy bar and monster sweet tea(not at the same time, thank you). M2 has quite a bit more discipline than I have. Sugar is my biggest downfall; although, Texas food in general is a 'problem'.

Hope you find something that works! Good luck!

It took seeing some photographs of myself at a car meet, with how big my gut had gotten, to be my wake up call. And while I have stuck to my program pretty well, I still have my vices, one sugar is one of them. I've tried numerous substitutes, and even unprocessed "raw" sugar but I can't break my love of the real thing! I am constantly kidded about the amount of sugar I consume, which if I could find a way to drastically reduce it I could probably lose another 5-10 pounds; but you can't give up everything that you enjoy in life. If you do, then it's not worth living!

When I lived in Belgium I used to bicycle all over the place. I did over 700 miles on year and that on a full suspension mountain bike! Unfortunately, the roads and drivers here in Texas aren't suited for biking, and my commute here is too far (22 miles each way) to bike as compared to the one I had there (8.5 miles each way). I would prefer to cycle than run, but it's just not an option.

Oh, and cutting back on the fine Texas cuisine is also very tough! I love my BBQ, Tex-Mex and burgers a lot; but I just had to starting thinking about how much exercise I needed to do to offset the amount of calories I intake when I eat those delicious meals. But like I said, I still "indulge" on the weekends to a degree, otherwise I don't think I could have stayed with my program for this long!

The good news is that I no longer have that awful gut, which really disgusted me. It takes something like that to help you focus on your goal, and a little discipline and commitment doesn't hurt either! Just find what works best for you, and stick to it!

Cheers! M2

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I run to the ice box to get my beer then I do my curls then I run to the bathroom. Does that count.
    only if you curl 40ozs (the bull yo baby yo) i have a bad knee total replacement comming soon bad back the work outs i get, is dragging 150'hose but it gets pretty hard, but still a pretty good workout so far

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Thanks guys, and thanks for the thorough rundown majormadmax and coachrick. I forgot to mention that I have a metal plate and screws in my right arm just below the elbow. It's been there for over 8 years now and never gave me any trouble but I've lost the ability to fully extend that arm completely out flat. That may interfere with serious weights but the doc seems primarily concerned with the weight and cardio and gettin my resting pulse rate down lower.

This sux because I've never had any health problems and always been pretty fit right up till I hit my 40's (43 right now). Boy at that point it was like a switch got thrown or something and my spare tire started growing???

Given the arm constraints, if you do try a bicycle, get one that allows you to sit more upright(a hybrid or 'city' or 'comfort' style). That will take a bit of the pressure off you arms(It's also less efficient, so, in theory a better workout).

I've always been heavier than 'ideal', partly our family 'body type'. Even when I played tennis regularly, I carried 20 extra pounds. Now, it's more like 40! My competitive days ended around age 48(I 'heard' that switch go off at 45). My second foot surgery was at 50 and the weight has steadily increased since. It's a WHOLE lot easier to eat than to work out, that's for sure! None of my medical difficulties have been a slap in the face; so, I've allowed myself to 'relax' way too much! I could try to get in shape for the next age group in tennis(60+) OR at least use that as an incentive to get my act together! Perhaps, TODAY is the start! Best of luck to you!

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    ...That may interfere with serious weights but the doc seems primarily concerned with the weight and cardio and gettin my resting pulse rate down lower.

If your goals are the same as the doc's, I'd work them in this order rhr, cardio, weight reduction. First, I would work on lowering your resting heart/pulse rate(rhr). What's your rhr now? What's you goal resting heart rate?

It's also easier to get started there on the rhr, because the pace is more managable ie.. less intense and it will help tremendously when you move into your cardio work.

You will need a heart rate monitor, Polar is a good brand, with a chest strap. Like the Polar RS300. That's a wiser investment than weight machine. The HR monitor will give you consistant feedback for the effort of your workouts. Then, work in your HR zone for time, so you get effort over time; instead of distance/speed over time. The goal is to keep your HR between 120 and 140 for the duration of the workout. That work can be biking, rowing, jogging, swimming, shadow boxing, etc... Don't worry about being at the low end, just keet your HR in that range. Start out with 30-40 minute workouts work up to 90 minute workouts. I know it sounds like a long time, but it's actually kinda boring. I jog, put on the Ipod with a low volume and set the HR monitor to beep if I'm out of the HR zone. You may need to go for 3 times a week for 8 weeks to see significant changes.

The great news is, after this 8 week block of training, you can maintain your gains by following this workout 1 day a week!!!

You'll also need to have a workout log book to monitor your progress. This is very important!!!! You 'll need to log your resting heart rate, starting weight & any measurements,(thigh, waist etc...) you want to monitor and a before photo! For the workouts monitor time of workout, avg heart rate, type of workout rowing,swimming, jogging, etc...

Chocolate milk is a good recovery drink.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    One good way to keep motivated is to post your workout of the day in a thread.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    First, get a treadmill. Start by walking at about 3 MPH for a half hour every day. Bump up the speed when it starts to get boring. Don't be in a rush, and don't feel bad if you only get to 5-6 MPH as long as you can maintain it for the entire 30 minutes. If necessary, alternate speeds (running one day, walking the next) until you can run five days a week.

It helps to have a TV and DVD player so you have something to watch while you walk/run. It's also a good way to watch all those movies you've collected but not seen over the years.

Secondly, get a diet. You can't just exercise, you need to watch what you eat! I started eating bag salads with lo-fat dressing for dinner during the week. I generally take my lunch to work so I know it's healthy. For breakfast I usually just have yogurt with trail mix mixed in to it.

I've been doing this since early July and have shed around 30 pounds. I plateaued somewhere between 180-185 but considering I was nearly 220 pounds when I started at least I am back to the size I was when I retired from the military in 2006.

I don't run or diet on the weekends, but I find I still try to watch what I eat and especially what I snack. The only downside to all this is when I was in Germany in October, I found the heavy food there that I've loved for years was actually a bit too much for me now. That sucks, but considering I only get there about once or twice a year at most it is just something I'll have to deal with.

Oh, and adding some push-ups and sit-ups into your daily routine when you can will help as well!

Cheers! M2

I take an annual health self-assessment, as well as bi-annual check ups, with an annual blood work mark up. This is what I have read: 4x weekly min 20 min reaching your maximum heart rate which is about 220 minus your age. 5 min of the 20 should be at max heart rate.

I ride a stationary bike watching TV. I do some stretching, 60 sit ups, and 20 pull ups 4x a week. I consider this a moderate work out. BTW, keeping fit helps with shooting accuracy and speed. Therefore, when and if SHTF, I will not only "out shoot" the statists, but wear their butts out "in the bush". :)

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I exercise everyday with dozens if not hundreds of 12 ounce curls. I also maintain my diet with lots of healthy beer drinking. It is the best exercise program i have ever used. Try it. You'll love it!

Partychief67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fannin County, Texas
    One good way to keep motivated is to post your workout of the day in a thread.

I'll do that fm2! Right now I'm walking my dog down a creek by my house, 30 minutes away, and 30 minutes back. It's tough terrain, up and down banks and over logs so it's actually getting me huffing and puffing at points..

Thanks for all your great info!

Top Bottom