APOD Firearms

Physical fitness... Anybody here work out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Partychief67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fannin County, Texas
    I take an annual health self-assessment, as well as bi-annual check ups, with an annual blood work mark up. This is what I have read: 4x weekly min 20 min reaching your maximum heart rate which is about 220 minus your age. 5 min of the 20 should be at max heart rate.

I ride a stationary bike watching TV. I do some stretching, 60 sit ups, and 20 pull ups 4x a week. I consider this a moderate work out. BTW, keeping fit helps with shooting accuracy and speed. Therefore, when and if SHTF, I will not only "out shoot" the statists, but wear their butts out "in the bush". :)

Patriot I laughed when I read this... There is a thread in this forum about "bug out bags" and it mentions a bunch of SHTF scenarios. I got to thinking about that and realized that most of the crowds I see at the range, or at gun shows, look so out of shape that they would be real hard pressed to make 10 miles a day on foot if the SHTF ever really came down. I am assuming folks among the gun show crowds are the only ones that would have the inclination or foresight to put together a "bug out bag" but maybe they oughta make getting in fighting trim more of a priority than than the bug out bag...

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Patriot I laughed when I read this... There is a thread in this forum about "bug out bags" and it mentions a bunch of SHTF scenarios. I got to thinking about that and realized that most of the crowds I see at the range, or at gun shows, look so out of shape that they would be real hard pressed to make 10 miles a day on foot if the SHTF ever really came down. I am assuming folks among the gun show crowds are the only ones that would have the inclination or foresight to put together a "bug out bag" but maybe they oughta make getting in fighting trim more of a priority than than the bug out bag...

You got that right!! Some shouldn't wear an IWB holster, particularly when I have seen some at gun shows and ranges that couldn't even find their belt buckle let alone their waist line.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    To be successful, working out needs to become part of your routine, and made to be enjoyable (or at least something you don't dread doing) That of course is different for the individual.

I've been working out in some fashion for the past 10 years. Years ago, I used to run, but can't do that anymore because of the toll it took on my knees.

Now I walk (4.2 MPH) on a tread mill set at 4 degrees uphill for 45 minutes, then do 30 minutes of weights/resistance. I do that 6 days a week. When the weather is nice on the week ends, I do 3 miles on the trail, and then go to the rec center and do a little cardio and then the weights. What makes this enjoyable for me is I've meet some good people at the rec center and at the park. Wouldn't call them close friends or some even actual friends, but people I chat with each time, talk sports, politics and whatever... Helps me look forward to going. I've done this so long that I can't imagine not doing it.

We (wife and I ) joined at the city rec center which has a fully equipped gum. It is very inexpensive. $75 for the year unlimited usage. And I actually get mine free through my Medicare-Advantage health insurance plan. You might be able to find something similar in your area.

Partychief67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fannin County, Texas
    I've been working out in some fashion for the past 10 years. Years ago, I used to run, but can't do that anymore because of the toll it took on my knees.

Man that makes me feel bad that I've gone for so long without doing anything in particular... lol I live waaay out in the boonies, miles from the nearest town, in an unincorporated county area. Even the closest towns don't have any sort of public rec. centers. The good part is that I've got miles of unpaved roads and (now) dry creek beds to walk up and down with an unleashed dog. Great fun! My dog has such a blast that it keeps me looking forward to doing it every day.

Now just to check in with my progress... I've lost 25 pounds over the last couple months. Started at 230 lbs., weighed in this morning at 204.5 Yee Haw!

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I didn't read all the posts.. But nutrition is incredibly important. Cut your sugars, cut your salts, if you drink soda.. Stop. You need over 100 ounces of water a day. The water helps flush your system and when you get to the stage where you are building muscle it will help your muscle grow. You really have to fix your bad habits. It is a life style change. You can take pills or go run etc etc but if you really want be "healthy" you need to change your diet, increase cardio, do enough weight or resistance training to build muscle. A lb of fat burns 4cals per hour a lb of muscle burns over 40..

Stretch in the morning and if you have bad habits revolving around eating you need to cut that out. Eat as soon as you wake up.. Eat your excess carbs or bad food early in the day as this is when your metabolism not only needs to get started but runs its hardest. You need min 3 meals a day plus snacks to keep your metabolism moving. Eat something at least ever 3 hours and by snack I mean an apple or something good for your body. In the evening cut down on your carb intake and stick with protein from fish or meats and throw in veggies. You have to also realize how much sugar and calories are in sauces.. Don't smother your broccoli in cheese and go to lower fat salad dressings. Do not eat past 8-9pm. Most people are in denial about a lot of food for instance if I get a chicken sandwich at McDonalds it is better than a hamburger. The problem is nutrition or the lack there of in most of our food. Do research on wheat products for instance if you like white bread cut that shit out.. White bread is terrible for you it holds very little nutrition if any and is incredible hard to digest. Wheat pasta, fruits, vegetables, and meats that are high in protein and low in fat are what you need to stick with.

Work on getting a proper amount of sleep as that is also very important.

Work out in the morning if you can as it is more beneficial than working out in the evening but if you have to do evening its what you have to do(I work out late myself)

Stretch and start with low impact like Bikes, swimming, jump rope if you already have problem areas like knees lookup that problem on google as there are many many natural remedies for just about everything but they all take dedication and work. Check out the book living with pain if you do have problems like shoulders that prevent upper body work out etc..

Once you get in the swing of things and your body is not pumping you so full of lactic acid that it hurts to move you start to build a tolerance to the training and you can then up yourself to higher impact and weight training. Again though work out smart as you can hurt yourself rather easily by improper movements and you might not even know the damage you are doing till it is too late.

Get a routine but don't get too in love with it as your body will adapt to it just like anything else and you see diminishing returns over time. Don't be afraid to go in and talk with a personal trainer and nutritionist.

I know this is scattered advice but its hard to explain a lot of the ins and outs but if you are serious do the research and keep an open mind as there are always new things out there. I can tell you though once you start seeing changes it motivates you to keep going and accomplishing your goals is a wonderful thing. It is also never too late.

Jcm

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas

The real problem is this is not just at the gun range it is across this entire country. The two things that BLOW my mind about our educational system in this country is the fact that personal finance and health & nutrition are not forced down our kids throats.

You don't want your teen to grab a new credit card as they walk into college the first day and run up 10k worth of debt because they don't understand the concept of interest do you? Of course not and I find myself arguing with people regularly about the nutrients in our food asking me why a mcdonalds snack wrap is so bad for you.. its just a tortilla, chicken, sauce, and cheese jeremy?

There is a reason why hamburger meat at central market is more expensive than McDonalds. Your body is a engine... You can equate preservatives and long term storage of food in this country to the shitty ass ethanol gasoline we are getting these days. Would you put regular gas in a diesel engine? Of course you wouldn't... So why put such shit into your body?

Growing chickens, pigs, and cows in cages they cannot even turn around in while pumping them full of food full of shit that makes the animal mature and grow faster than it should with man made substances is unbelievable to me. The meat coming out of places like this is so pumped with steroids and full of crap it is not worth eating.

Yet killing a deer or other animals that eat nothing but natural substances and being able to control the processing is murder...

Ignorance is bliss..

Partychief67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fannin County, Texas
    The real problem is this is not just at the gun range it is across this entire country. The two things that BLOW my mind about our educational system in this country is the fact that personal finance and health & nutrition are not forced down our kids throats.

You don't want your teen to grab a new credit card as they walk into college the first day and run up 10k worth of debt because they don't understand the concept of interest do you? Of course not and I find myself arguing with people regularly about the nutrients in our food asking me why a mcdonalds snack wrap is so bad for you.. its just a tortilla, chicken, sauce, and cheese jeremy?

Man I've been seeing AND saying that same thing for years. Schools, just generally across the board, have gone to shit. My boys are 15 and 16 right now. Sophomore and junior in highschool. They have both been taking spanish every semester since they first got to high school. I was pretty dissapointed to learn recently that neither one of them can speak, read or comprehend more than the simplest phrase in spanish. I have never taken a formal spanish class but by now, I am passably fluent just through daily bullshitting with the spanish only speaking guys I work with.

The concept of nutrition is the exact same way. They by far prefer junk food to decent food and if you give them a choice to either eat at Mcdonalds
    or Subway they will pick Mcdonalds every time. Hell the only reason that they ain't pretty fat is that they both play football and they run their asses of year round now and lift weights daily. They'd probably both have diabetes if it wasn't for that.

And AusTex, I appreciate the excellent info... I been picking up a few exercise and nutrition books since I first started this thread and it sounds like you been reading the exact same ones as me because your advice tows the line on all three that I've read so far.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    golds gym put a flyer on my door - $10 a month!
    starting that at the same time my brother in law gave me a pulldown machine, already have a ton of dumbells. found some sites online to help me keep track of progress too

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I do not have a great metabolism and I have very high cholesterol in my family. It has forced me to figure out what "I" need to do to keep in shape. the heaviest I have been was 210 and now I am at about 189. I would like to be at 180. A lot of what I typed before is from personal experience. When I was 18 I started lifting hard and by 21 was benching 225 about 8x and probably maxed about 275. Now I bench 135 about 10x and it hurts. I did all the wrong things and basically just tore up my shoulders from it, hurt my back from squats, it was silly. I didn't have any help though and I never asked for it. I learned proper technique through trail and error and that is not the way to go when it comes to the body. My main problem also was I could never combine the 3 essential groups, weights, cardio, & nutrition... I would hit weights hard and leave out cardio, or I would eat great and cut down on my workouts.. I just never really achieved exactly where I wanted to be(I was in college though and beer drinking and pizza was #1).

Now a days I do light weight training, focus on my core, and try and do cardio as much as possible. Great thing about cardio is you can find ways to make it fun. For me that is ultimate frisbee, running town lake looking at the pretty girls, and sometimes other sports. Do the cardio as it will get easier and before you know it you feel better. Better lung capacity, more energy, and you are loosing lbs. Get an IPOD and have your kids set it up for you with your favorite oldies or audio books. I filled mine up with world war 2 history lessons and each lesson is 30 mins long. I go to a local football field and do random jogs, sprints, w/e and listen to one lesson before I quit.

Good luck with everything! And make your kids watch super-size me as it might help them with their McDonalds cravings.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I haven't formally exercised in years and years but get a moderate amount of exercise in my work as a land surveyor so I'm somewhat decent and not morbidly obese.

Well the doc dropped the hammer last week and says I need to lose 15 or 20 more pounds and kick in formalized exercise program.

So those of you who are already into it, please throw some ideas at me. Is a big gym membership worth the money or am I better off just to start walking or running every day? How about a home weight bench? Is that better than the gym membership?

Also, those who are in a similar set of circumstances with ole doc sawbones, is it better to break into it gradually or give up the couch cold turkey?

I would love to hear any and all info you have to offer!

I'm big on fitness.

A new book just came out by famed Author/Blogger of The Four-Hour Work Week, Tim Ferris. The book is called The Four Hour Body, I recommend you pick it up. It is absolutely brilliant and easy to read - don't let the size of the book intimidate you because it isn't designed to be read from cover to cover.

The "Slow Carb Diet" he outlines in the book definitely works and he covers a lot of different things from various exercises that allow you to work out to your maximum potential in the shortest amount of time to using temperature manipulation (which is what allows Michael Phelps to consume a 20,000 calorie diet) to your weight loss benefit.

Also, get MORE sleep than you're getting. Sleep is just as important a part of fitness as eating right and working out.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I exercise everyday with dozens if not hundreds of 12 ounce curls. I also maintain my diet with lots of healthy beer drinking. It is the best exercise program i have ever used. Try it. You'll love it!

i actually lost a ton of weight, drinking heavily every day for several months. my routine was, get off work, boss and i would go to the bar, drink till his gf picked him up. then i'd go buy two 18 packs and drink at home. repeat daily.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    almost not even funny... more like depressing, and I think you need to talk to someone if that is not a joke.

oops, i didnt clarify that this is not what im during currently. this was a year or two ago, losing the weight was a weird side effect i hadnt expected from drinking heavily.

96fordsix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    conroe
    Reading this thread was interesting. Last semester I took fitness for life at the local community college and I would recommend doing that. After not doing any thing this summer I got a member ship at one of the national gyms and would tell you to do that. They have enough different things to do to keep from getting bored. Here's to you

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GURUNANDA9
    Top Bottom