• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    If as rotor says she had used her title of Pioneer City Museum, absolutely she should lose her job. Had somebody just recognized her for who she is, then, to me, she is just exercising here 1st Amendment right, so no, then I would be against her firing.

I disagree.
    The nice thing about Texas is it's a Right to Work state .
    You can get your ass fired and they dont have to tell you why.
    Maybe you're just not a good fit anymore ..

I support her right to speak her f'd up point of view. But free speech sometimes comes with a cost.
    She paid that price her job...some have paid it with their lives.
    Soldiers have died protecting it.

So maybe she misses a paycheck or two , I dont give a damn.
    Capitol Armory ad

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm in no way in agreement with what she said. I just believe it's her right to speak her mind.

I'm sure that not everything I've said my place of employment would agree with, and I would hope that as long as I'm not representing them in my capacity, that they wouldn't fire me over it.

I am totally against the "cancel culture", so I can't support being in favor of those same tactics.

Ioannes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    US
    She'll be running for city council or Democratic Rep soon. Just like that heifer that flipped off the president.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I may have been mistaken about the facebook post as I looked only at the video on the original posting and it said she was director of the museum. So, I can not say for sure that her post, which has been removed from facebook, also included her title. In any event she has resigned.

I think that the newspaper posting her position at the museum and the combination of her hate speech still caused harm to the museum and would have been reason for her termination. She was probably offered the chance to resign or be terminated. Although I don't in any way condone what she said I do believe that she had the right to speak her mind if she did not use her work title with her speech. I also feel that her superiors had the right to terminate her.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Heh. We've got some conservative tolerance going on in here. If I were her boss, I'd fire her ass over that in a heartbeat for her stupidity. If you're largely funded by the public, you don't go pissing off 80% of them (percentage pulled out of my butt based on the many times I've been to Sweetwater - Spent a lot of nights at the Ranch House and their breakfasts are awesome)

Pops1955

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Just speculating here, (but with much experience along these lines), as an organization that depends on grants for funding you usually have to sign a statement of assurances. Most of those I have seen from every level of government say something along the lines of "though shalt not commit politics." She did. Would not and should not matter which side of the fence she was on. She still broke the promise as the administrative head of the org. She should be released. She probably broke a contractual obligation that threatens the orgs standing with a major source of funding. (Most small towns do not have partisan elections. Sweetwater is one of those towns.) The big difference is that most conservatives would expect to be dismissed and liberals almost always think they are immune to the consequences of their actions. I wonder why that is?????? Free speech is a right. It may have consequences.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Just speculating here, (but with much experience along these lines), as an organization that depends on grants for funding you usually have to sign a statement of assurances. Most of those I have seen from every level of government say something along the lines of "though shalt not commit politics." She did. Would not and should not matter which side of the fence she was on. She still broke the promise as the administrative head of the org. She should be released. She probably broke a contractual obligation that threatens the orgs standing with a major source of funding. (Most small towns do not have partisan elections. Sweetwater is one of those towns.) The big difference is that most conservatives would expect to be dismissed and liberals almost always think they are immune to the consequences of their actions. I wonder why that is?????? Free speech is a right. It may have consequences.
    That applies while being within an official capacity. When working for the government I couldn't promote or campaign or even wear a campaign button at work or on TDY, but outside of that, it was my own business. (Hatch Act)

Last edited:

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    It seems to me many TGT members are hypocrites . . . free speech is all well & good, as long as YOUR speech agrees with mine!

I don't believe that's how the Founding Fathers envisioned America.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    So....she resigned...not fired................

Some employment contracts have morality clauses that can cause folks to lose their jobs over doing and saying stupid shyte even on their off time.....

Yes, she has a Right to say stupid shyte......but as others alluded....there are still consequences and even unintended consequences for our words when we place them in the public square.............

Many folks with lines through their user names have discovered that fact..........

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I disagree.
    The nice thing about Texas is it's a Right to Work state .
    You can get your ass fired and they dont have to tell you why.
    Maybe you're just not a good fit anymore ..

I support her right to speak her f'd up point of view. But free speech sometimes comes with a cost.
    She paid that price her job...some have paid it with their lives.
    Soldiers have died protecting it.

So maybe she misses a paycheck or two , I dont give a damn.

Yeah, that right to work state isn't so simple as it seems. Doesn't work that straight forward in my experience.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Yeah, that right to work state isn't so simple as it seems. Doesn't work that straight forward in my experience.
    "Right to work" applies mainly to private businesses, and basically has more to do with labor union laws. What many here think "right to work" means applies to "employment at will" states like Washington.

Top Bottom