• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Why were there negotiations? You cannot negotiate with "people" like this. If you negotiate with pirates or terrorists, you simply make the problem worse.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I now speculate that the negotiations were designed to buy time. This allowed us to get the Seals/assets in place to take care of the situation. I was getting very disgusted, but now feel better.

Maybe these guys will think twice before they try to board another US ship.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I now speculate that the negotiations were designed to buy time. This allowed us to get the Seals/assets in place to take care of the situation. I was getting very disgusted, but now feel better.

Count me here too. FINALLY!

My husband got tired of me yelling at the TV, "Sweetie, you have great ideas but you know they can't hear you, right?"

There never was a doubt in the capabilities of our folks in uniform. It was always waiting on go. Civilian don't hear stories of ops much so they think Jack Bauer is ultimate and real life doesn't compare. Well, they'd be wrong. Go Navy! :patriot:

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    three shot's three, dead pirates GO SEAL's GO!:patriot:
    I think KIngofwyilietx is right they have to get the seal's there and get them set up and that takes time not to mention a precision shot would be rough in a bobbing boat.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    "One of them pointed an AK-47 at the back of Phillips, who was tied up and in "imminent danger" of being killed when the commander of the nearby USS Bainbridge made the split-second decision to order his men to shoot, Gortney said. Navy snipers took aim at the pirates' heads and shoulders, he said."

:patriot:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston

You would think so, but...

Abdullahi Lami, one of the pirates holding the Greek ship anchored in the Somali town of Gaan, said: "Every country will be treated the way it treats us. In the future, America will be the one mourning and crying," he told The Associated Press. "We will retaliate (for) the killings of our men."

Jamac Habeb, a 30-year-old self-proclaimed pirate, told the AP from one of Somalia's piracy hubs, Eyl, that: "From now on, if we capture foreign ships and their respective countries try to attack us, we will kill them (the hostages)."
    "Now they became our number one enemy," Habeb said of U.S. forces.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    This line said all that needs to be said! PERIOD!!!!

"
    Originally Posted by Texas1911
    You kill one American, I'll carpet bomb your city with enough firepower to give the Japanese flashbacks. "

je2000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    For what it's worth, the Somali Coast Guard was started to stop illegal dumping of nuclear waste off the coast. Their coast is also being overfished illegally I'm sure there are plenty of thugs in it for the business and cash, but I bet there are quite a few defending their land. If they really want to fix their own problems, they should get a working govt. in order.

Since they're obviously not going to do that, then the illegal dumping and fishing needs to stop. Only then will these people cease their activity.

I still say roving packs of Dobermans on the decks of a ship will help with the boarding parties.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've never understood the piracy thing. An armed gang approaches a large ship in a small boat. They take the ship, hold it for ransom or rob the passengers. One or two decent riflemen would put an end to the conflict before it started. Why don't they just blow the pirates out of the water before they board the vessel?

Flash

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I've never understood the piracy thing. An armed gang approaches a large ship in a small boat. They take the ship, hold it for ransom or rob the passengers. One or two decent riflemen would put an end to the conflict before it started. Why don't they just blow the pirates out of the water before they board the vessel?

Flash

Because by international law, ships of commerce are generally forbidden to be armed. Makes NO sense to me, especially given the current situations that only get worse - but that's the general story line I've been given to understand. Appears to be issues with all the different gun regs at the different countries in whose waters they transit.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Because by international law, ships of commerce are generally forbidden to be armed.

I figured it had to be something insane like that. In Chicago, I went to places that were nothing but dangerous so I carried a "pal". In fact, I was frisked and they missed it! That would have been a felony bust but it was more dangerous to obey the law than to violate it.

In those pirate waters, it just doesn't make sense to go unarmed. I can't believe there isn't a place on board to effectively hide weapons.

Flash

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Because by international law, ships of commerce are generally forbidden to be armed. Makes NO sense to me, especially given the current situations that only get worse - but that's the general story line I've been given to understand. Appears to be issues with all the different gun regs at the different countries in whose waters they transit.

Is it actually international law? Or is it just different laws in various nations.

I know traditionally, merchantmen often were armed. If they hadn't been, the US Navy would have been started a lot later than it was.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It's a goofy mix of laws/regs - I've often wondered the same, and my cursory examination has shown that trying to carry guns on a merchant vessel has all kinds of implications once you enter territorial waters of various countries. I'd LOVE to see 'em "badge" personnel so that they COULD carry weapons, but the political minefield would be almost insurmountable, I'd bet.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It's a goofy mix of laws/regs - I've often wondered the same, and my cursory examination has shown that trying to carry guns on a merchant vessel has all kinds of implications once you enter territorial waters of various countries. I'd LOVE to see 'em "badge" personnel so that they COULD carry weapons, but the political minefield would be almost insurmountable, I'd bet.

Agreed. The Maersk Alabama attack was turned around by a stinkin' pocket knife. Imagine what they could do with just a single used and abused M60 that the US military doesn't want anymore.

Top Bottom