kyletx
    Jennings 22
    cheesy_memes-06_03_21-600-25.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …info on staying in Colorado is appreciated as well. The closest town will be Colorado Springs …
    Lived there from 2013-16 and my son lives there now. Though bear sightings in the forest areas aren’t unusual, there’s only been four fatal encounters across the state.

If your trip is guided, check with the guide service or host lodge for current info.

Your biggest threat is dehydration. COS is at 6300ft elevation and the wilderness areas are at 7000ft - 11,000 ft. You lose water with every breath you exhale, so be constantly sipping water. Headache can be a sign of dehydration or mountain sickness which can be fatal, so worst case scenario is to always retreat to lower elevations if you get one.

Also, consider the bottled ‘rescue’ O2 if not acclimated and at elevation. If you want more detailed info, feel free to pm.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    What does this mean?
    My take was a follow up shot with a 10mm is unlikely to be where you want it with a beast that is intent on giving you the what fer charging.

Generally, for a round with bigger recoil with a given level of training/skill you will get bigger flinch and longer time to get sights back on target decreasing accuracy and the number of shots on target in a set time.

Its an issue that won't come up in slow fire, but when you start trying to get several shots off muy rapido you can see the hi area expand.

But far be it from me to put words in Hoji's mouth...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    My take was a follow up shot with a 10mm is unlikely to be where you want it with a beast that is intent on giving you the what fer charging.

Generally, for a round with bigger recoil with a given level of training/skill you will get bigger flinch and longer time to get sights back on target decreasing accuracy and the number of shots on target in a set time.

Its an issue that won't come up in slow fire, but when you start trying to get several shots off muy rapido you can see the hi area expand.

But far be it from me to put words in Hoji's mouth...

Some of this and a lot of if something has decided you are food, then the bitey part of that critter is already in the process of rendering you into bite size pieces.
    What you are going to have is a contact shot on something with lots of thick, shaggy fur.
    Know what your semi auto is going to do after the first contact shot on a large, shaggy predator? ;) Hope that one shot is effective or you had better be very good at clearing stoppages while being eaten alive.

Last edited:

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Some of this and a lot of if something has decided you are food, then the bitey part of that critter is already in the process of rendering you into bite size pieces.
    What you are going to have is a contact shot on something with lots of thick, shaggy fur.
    Know what your semi auto is going to do after the first contact shot on a large, shaggy predator? ;) Hope that one shot is effective or you hand better be very good at clearing stoppages while being eaten alive.
    Contact shots are the only place a revolver might have an advantage over a short recoil semi-auto

popper

TGT Addict
    Apr 23, 2013
    my son's Make A Wish. He wanted to be in the mountains in a cabin and go hiking, rafting and horse back riding. The area they are sending us is supposed to be pretty secluded.
    Make A Wish isn't going to provide this without pretty good supervision. Good outfitter and guides. May NOT allow carry.
    But some of the comments are interesting. Hope Clay's kid gets better.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    May 2, 2015
    They never used the gun. It won't help if you don't use it. For experienced hunters they sure made some dumb choices. Eating lunch at the kill and process site where the meat has been hanging over night? In the worst bear country around. I would have set a guard and tended to business and got away from there.

The other military guys he spoke of did use their weapons with great effectiveness even though they were still hurt/maimed but not dead.

I would rather have it than not, even if in the end I die. I want to go down trying at least.

Top Bottom