Venture Surplus ad

Pistol only SHTF loadout. What would you bring?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Since this is a pistol-only SHTF question...

I have a XD-40 and a 1911, but I would have to go with the 1911, seven magazines, and a box of 50 extra rounds. Any more than that is an unnecessary burden.

I can fill a 1911 magazine without a loading device, where the XD magazines require the loading device after about the 8th round. It's easier to carry/reload seven 7-round 1911 mags than four 12-round .40 mags, especially when you consider the reloading part of it.

On the other hand, I would always grab on of my ARs as well, and I have an ammo can full of loaded magazines for them, so I'd grab that too.

If I don't have transportation, I'll grab a standard combat patrol loadout (seven 30-round mags), and leave the rest behind.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Ya'll are thinking too small. A Draco or PLR16 will fit under a coat or in a briefcase/messenger bag. Hell if it's a true SHTF situation might as well put an underfolder stock on it.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Lots of excellent information and well thought out lists. One question however, if there is a requirement to be stealthy or to not bring attention I would include a silent method of dispatching either foe or food. Now without telling what I have, what would you add to your list?

I can't tell you either......

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It'd hafta be 1911's w/spare mags an' an ammo can w/ammo (assuming mobile w/vehicle). Pair of .380's, again w/spare ammo. Foldin' knife, min. 100' parachute cord, iodine crystals (to purify water). Coupla silk items (acts as water filter w/o being obvious). 1911's/380's give me carry options depending on situation encountered....

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My only comment, although I prefer .40 or .45....one sure can carry ALOT more 9mm as far as weight issues are concerned.....

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    My only comment, although I prefer .40 or .45....one sure can carry ALOT more 9mm as far as weight issues are concerned.....

True - thing is, 9mm is a (relatively) light round that uses velocity to help it - that makes it easier to be deflected. 230 grains is kinda hard to "shrug off".

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I think either one would be fine for the bag. I could even throw some
    AR mags in there.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Simply my Sig P239 and about 130 rounds of 40. With Night Sights and SRT, "one shot, one kill". I mean, what else is there in regard to a handgun other than a Sig Sauer? Don't answer with "Glock" or "SW" and similar because they are simply the "poor man's" handgun. Now HK, they are close to the Sig Family I will admit.

Of course my Sig is an excellent "side arm", but I would revert to "full survival" mode if SHTF. Those who have been where I have been need not ask for clarification.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Simply my Sig P239 and about 130 rounds of 40. With Night Sights and SRT, "one shot, one kill". I mean, what else is there in regard to a handgun other than a Sig Sauer? Don't answer with "Glock" or "SW" and similar because they are simply the "poor man's" handgun. Now HK, they are close to the Sig Family I will admit.

Of course my Sig is an excellent "side arm", but I would revert to "full survival" mode if SHTF. Those who have been where I have been need not ask for clarification.

Agreed... I like sigs better yet the glocks have their place. If I were in a dirty ass envrio and had little resources for firearm upkeep I would take my glock over sig. I hate HK mag releases, IMO it ruins the whole gun.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    a berky water bottle, magazines, pistol on belt, (9mm+p+), back pocket .38 spcl (+p+)backup revolver.

that should cover it.

maybe some destructables or potent chemical agents in the bag. along with some emergency rations magnesium bar, a few lights (flash lights and chem lights) and a decent med kit. depending where im going.

into town? aint goin without a rifle. i hardly do that as it is.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Aer you implying only poor men buy Glock's & S&W's........

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Don't answer with "Glock" or "SW" and similar because they are simply the "poor man's" handgun. Now HK, they are close to the Sig Family I will admit.

Wow....just wow. anim_lolabove.jpg View attachment 5860 anim_rofl2[1].jpg blowout.jpg

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The nice thing about a Glock is, you can have a dozen or more of those things hidden all over the house, stashed inside the interior panels of your vehicles, buried in containers in the backyard, hidden in the bilge of your darn boat, etc and you can pretty much guarantee they won't rust, and if you need it they will work after collecting dust there for years. There are a few guns that come close to that rugged, but there aren't any I'd trust quite as much to do that with.

As far as "the argument" goes, why not bypass it entirely? Buy a 9mm handgun, and a good old .45acp 1911 and have the best of both worlds. If the situation permits deciding before hand, just choose whichever the situation warrants.

Flashbangs are not legal for civilians to possess or purchase. As far as I understand it, they are considered to be an explosive. They are actually more dangerous than people might realize, and can cause serious injury (close contact detonation), or possibly death if it goes off in someone's face I'd guess. There are actually flashbang simulators you can legally buy. All the simulators are is a canister that uses compressed air to make a 110+ decibel BANG and no flash, so they are just a noise diversion device.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The nice thing about a Glock is, you can have a dozen or more of those things hidden all over the house, stashed inside the interior panels of your vehicles, buried in containers in the backyard, hidden in the bilge of your darn boat, etc and you can pretty much guarantee they won't rust, and if you need it they will work after collecting dust there for years. There are a few guns that come close to that rugged, but there aren't any I'd trust quite as much to do that with.

As far as "the argument" goes, why not bypass it entirely? Buy a 9mm handgun, and a good old .45acp 1911 and have the best of both worlds. If the situation permits deciding before hand, just choose whichever the situation warrants.

Flashbangs are not legal for civilians to possess or purchase. As far as I understand it, they are considered to be an explosive. They are actually more dangerous than people might realize, and can cause serious injury (close contact detonation), or possibly death if it goes off in someone's face I'd guess. There are actually flashbang simulators you can legally buy. All the simulators are is a canister that uses compressed air to make a 110+ decibel BANG and no flash, so they are just a noise diversion device.

Pretty much sums up my feelings for Glocks as well, & also how I use them.....

I could very well be incorrect, but I thought with the proper tax stamp, a civilian could own "explosive" devices???

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    To reduce any "defensive posturing", allow me simply to say if Sigs were not so "pricy", more would carry Sig. How does that "do ya"?

I can likely agree with that statement.....While I own Kimbers & HK's (several Glocks & S&W's) & other unfired guns bought as collector pieces, I have never even fired a Sig before so I suppose I should buy one or two to see.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    To reduce any "defensive posturing", allow me simply to say if Sigs were not so "pricy", more would carry Sig. How does that "do ya"?

Hmmmm...how does that translate to those of us that carry a Wilson or Ed Brown? anim_lol.jpg

This is MY "daily carry"....along w/a pair of P-238's. For clarification purposes - I tote one of the 238's in my pocket, with another available if needed/wanted, an' the Wilson as clothing allows.

Sentinel.jpg

Top Bottom