Join TexasGunTalk

Plan B - less than lethal

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by BRD@66, Jul 11, 2018 at 4:33 PM.

1. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Long ago, in that latter part of the 20th century, my 1st CHL instructor suggested that one needs to have a deterrent of less lethality than a firearm. In case the situation called for that. The obvious example was pepper spray. I dutifully carried pepper spray in addition to my firearm for quite a while. But - I quit some time ago & sometimes I feel guilty about not having that less-than-lethal plan B.
    Do any of you have such a plan B? What is it?

2. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce Active Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’ve never carried less than lethal. My ‘Plan B’ is an overall defensive mindset. I really try to understand what situations I’m placing myself in before I enter it and then have contingency options.

I don’t do crowds, I don’t do late night. I don’t do known unsafe areas.

If I’m in a position to de-escalate by leaving I will.

3. baboon

baboon Well-Known

M203 loaded with wooded batons, foam bullet, rubber buckshot & flash bangs.

jordanmills and toddnjoyce like this.
  4. vmax

vmax TGT Addict

Apr 15, 2013
    tenor.gif

JK

I dont carry LTL

deemus, ZX9RCAM and toddnjoyce like this.
  5. robertc1024

robertc1024 Not That Guy TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    A good tongue lashing? I pretty much always carry a gun and a knife. Never even thought about pepper spray etc.

6. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Can You Dig It?

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen
    Less then lethal is you avoiding the situation. Walk away.

If your life is in danger. There's no middle ground. You either avoid the threat or stop the threat. If you feel less then deadly force will stop the threat. Again, walk away.

7. BillFairbanks

BillFairbanks Active Member

May 8, 2017
    If plan b doesn’t work then the attacker may have an opportunity to get my weapon. If someone attacks me I’ll use the most effective defense to stop the attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. cb51

cb51 Member

Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    Like the others, I don't believe in less than lethal.

I had the bad luck to grow up in a bad part of D.C. Poor neighborhood, lots of crime. I fond out young that one thing only stops a criminal. Fear of being very badly hurt or killed. Like the N.R.A. says, more crime is stopped by the mere presence of a gun than by having to shoot. The low life street thug knows fear of death. Period.

Predators are looking for an easy meal/victim. They are not looking for a gunfight that may get them killed. About 99% of the time that armed resistance is thrown up, the criminal flees. But, and this is the big but...most of them have been maced/pepper sprayed before and they know it won't kill them. Some f them can even fight through it . But they are under no such illusion abut a bullet entering their stomach and going out the back.

Being mugged is a posable killing. Respond to any criminal assault like it's a life or death fight because it is. I'm not using less than lethal on some thug that may want to kill me. yet another reason fled the whole D.C. area for a stand your ground state.

Big Dipper and TheEnglishman like this.
  9. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    The reason that I have revisited these thoughts is due to an unarmed carjacking in Cedar Park a few days ago. Dad still in the HEB. Mom & 2 kids go on to the car where she puts kids in back seat, herself in co-pilot seat & wait for Dad to catch up. Bad Guy slides into the drivers seat & tells Mom that she (& hers) need to get out of the car. They got out - but what if....

10. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Can You Dig It?

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen
    Yep