Guns International

Point Shooting VS Aim shooting in home defense.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    When I hear someone complain about language or syntax it’s usually a person with little real knowledge or skill. The experts don’t care. It’s the amateur who points out some trivial point in an effort to make themselves seem important or provide some factoid to a conversation that is otherwise above their skill set or knowledge base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    When I hear someone complain about language or syntax it’s usually a person with little real knowledge or skill. The experts don’t care. It’s the amateur who points out some trivial point in an effort to make themselves seem important or provide some factoid to a conversation that is otherwise above their skill set or knowledge base.

Damn, it's almost like you know me....

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Whose complaining? It's just that there is a difference, one can't really be exchanged for another. Did I understand what he meant? Yes, but then my personality is one where I will often kid someone when opportunity arises.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Once you start using clips and magazines interchangeably (yes of course, a WW2 or Korean vet would load his M1 Garand using clips, and a vet of the Vietnam war loaded his M-16's magazines using clips), it's a slippery slope to calling everything a fully automatic high capacity assault Glock revolver ;)

And if you get your panties in a bunch over some mild ribbing that's your own problem.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    When I hear someone call a magazine a clip I know they get most of their firearms knowledge from a video game or Sheila Jackson Lee.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Once you start using clips and magazines interchangeably (yes of course, a WW2 or Korean vet would load his M1 Garand using clips, and a vet of the Vietnam war loaded his M-16's magazines using clips), it's a slippery slope to calling everything a fully automatic high capacity assault Glock revolver ;)

And if you get your panties in a bunch over some mild ribbing that's your own problem.
    Had to sell my fully automatic high capacity assault Glock revolver when I left Oregon, and damned if I can find one to replace it.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    When I hear someone call a magazine a clip I know they get most of their firearms knowledge from a video game or Sheila Jackson Lee.

So you think Patton got most of his firearms knowledge from a video game or Sheila Jackson Lee?

Or the many WW2 and Korean vets I have known over the years?

You aren't fit to tie their shoelaces, much less judge their firearms knowledge.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

BS. WW2 and Korean vets I know specifically talked about loading clips into 1911's.

Somewhere along the way, folks started trying to make themselves look like experts by trying to parse terms for devices that hold ammo. This is a fairly recent phenomenon.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I also grew up calling them clips, but we have to be PC now...

http://www.gunsandammo.com/gun-culture/9-misused-gun-terms/

"Clip vs. Magazine
    You know that boxy rectangular thingy that holds cartridges and slides into the bottom of your semi-auto pistol? It’s not a clip — no matter how often the term is misused. It’s a magazine.

A magazine holds shells under spring pressure in preparation for feeding into the firearm’s chamber. Examples include box, tubular, drum and rotary magazines. Some are fixed to the firearm while others are removable.

A cartridge “clip” has no spring and does not feed shells directly into the chamber. Rather, clips hold cartridges in the correct sequence for “charging” a specific firearm’s magazine. Stripper clips allow rounds to be “stripped” into the magazine. Other types are fed along with the shells into the magazine — the M1 Garand famously operates in this fashion. Once all rounds have been fired, the clip is ejected or otherwise released from the firearm.

In essence, clips feed magazines. Magazines feed firearms."

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    his is a fairly recent phenomenon.

g3f48dk.jpg

mqJIzKM.jpg

QOSo7v6.jpg

And just because a soldier, be he freshly enlisted recruit or 4 star general, uses "clip", according to you, doesn't make it right. Btw, Patton usually carried either a SAA or a Smith 27.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So you think Patton got most of his firearms knowledge from a video game or Sheila Jackson Lee?

Or the many WW2 and Korean vets I have known over the years?

You aren't fit to tie their shoelaces, much less judge their firearms knowledge.

No, I think he was ill informed on newer firearms capabilities and was stuck in a previous area where internal box magazines were loaded with clips. Sheila Jackson Lee and video games weren't around at that time.

Being a General doesn't make him a firearms expert. In fact, I would say military personal are some of the least knowledgeable people I've known when in comes to firearms (vs those who shoot as a hobby). I've seen them make all kinds of outlandish claims and watched an active duty soldier attempt to load 9mm rounds backwards in a .40 S&W handgun magazine. And knowing the difference between a mag and clip makes me plenty fit to judge his firearms knowledge, but I would never bow to any man to tie his shoes. Not sure why you feel someone you think so highly of couldn't tie his own.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Being a General doesn't make him a firearms expert.

Case in point:

U8LGcSO.jpg

Major General Darrell K. Williams Williams’ awards and decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal, Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Bronze Star Medal, Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal, Combat Action Badge, Parachutist Badge, Parachute Rigger Badge and Army Staff Identification Badge.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    General Williams gets beat up a lot for these pics. He’s been in the service a long time and probably learned the old teacup when it was new. He qualifies and does his duty. It’s not likely to ever see combat.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    General Williams gets beat up a lot for these pics. He’s been in the service a long time and probably learned the old teacup when it was new. He qualifies and does his duty. It’s not likely to ever see combat.

I don't think the point is to beat him up (at least in this case). Your post highlights the point that just because something was taught "back then" doesn't make it correct. It simply points out that military personal, regardless of rank" should not be assumed to be an authoritative source of firearms knowledge simply based on military service or rank.

Just ask any random soldier to take a box of parts and assemble an AR.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    When you think about it, if someone is breaking into your home or have already done so,and you are down the hall from then or closer, wouldn't the time to aim down the sights, focus on trigger pull, stance, be the Last thing on your mind?
    Wouldn't that be better for longer distance? Considering you only have a split second window of action before you are shot/attacked etc. I would think that point/instinctive shooting practice/technique would be better suited.
    Opinions please?

Here's my plan:
    Holy crap!
    HOLY CRAP!
    BILL DRILL
    HOLY CRAP!
    I Think I Peed A Little!
    Call the constabulary.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    And just because a soldier, be he freshly enlisted recruit or 4 star general, uses "clip", according to you, doesn't make it right. Btw, Patton usually carried either a SAA or a Smith 27.

Just because some choose not to use a term in the manner it once was used does not make you right.

Patton wrote of seeing a soldier putting a clip in a 1911. Not in his revolver.

Patton did not only carry revolvers, by the way.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just because some choose not to use a term in the manner it once was used does not make you right.

Patton wrote of seeing a soldier putting a clip in a 1911. Not in his revolver.

Patton did not only carry revolvers, by the way.

Just because some choose to use a term incorrectly does not make it right. Even if it was Patton who chose to be wrong.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    No, the fact that I'm right makes me right. And just because a term is common in colloquial use doesn't make it correct. Also, I did write "usually", not "always and exclusively". Soldiers also weren't supposed to use the flash hider on the OG M-16 as a wire cutter, but did it anyway. Soldiers also claimed the P.38/P1 was an inaccurate piece of crap best used to fire warning shots and then throw it at the enemy.

Top Bottom