• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    So, anyone in San Antonio have one on here?

No - in San Marcos though - I have about 200 questions to ask you though. #1 - pool light has water in it and tripped the GFCI it's on. Inground 12,500 gallons. How to fix?

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Bummer. #2, easiest way to fix it when it is jade green? Vacuum the snot out of it, get the chemicals right, backflush daily until it's decent again? Chemicals first?

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Chems first. 12k, jade green (can see second step most likely), test pH and adjust as needed. Add 12 gallons of liquid chlorine. Brush at least once a day. Backwash whenever pressure gets up.

For the light you'll need to get a night fixture. I may be able to get you one through my work.

Who built the pool?

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Best bet... Make a fish pond out of it. You will thank me in the long run.

Mine was a sealed fixture. Had to replace the whole thing..

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Gary out of SA. I live on top of the Balcones Fault, so it's pretty much embedded in base rock. It's got good stuff in it - way too big Hayward sand filter, two speed pump to run the spa, gas heater, Polaris. It started life out as a saltwater pool but the chlorine generator took a poop and I didn't have the $$ to replace it, so I started putting chlorine in it.

Gotcha on the pressure - that's my business. I can tell when the filter starts clogging up because the water doesn't flow as well out of the spa into the pool. Biggest issue is that when the weather gets warm, and the algae starts going, I don't know how in hell to stop it.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Pools are a big waste of money any way you look at it. Electricity to run the pumps, expensive chemicals to stop algae invasions, more chemicals to "balance" the water, not to mention the time required to skim, vacuum, and back-wash.

Pools are better left to communities where more people can contribute to the maintenance costs.

bmnloader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2014
    DFW-Cisco, TX
    Drain it! Mine was built in 1964. I've had to clean it since I was big enough to push the vacuum. Now, I have somebody else do it. It's kinda like a boat, Get your wallet out. I have totally re-plastered mine a few times over the last 10 years. It's great for a few years, then ...... hell, I don't even swim in it anymore! My light is in a fixture that has 1 screw holding it in the main housing. remove the screw and it should have enough wire on it to get abouve the water line. Then you can replace the bulb and gaskets. Your is probably newer than mine though.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Pools are a big waste of money any way you look at it. Electricity to run the pumps, expensive chemicals to stop algae invasions, more chemicals to "balance" the water, not to mention the time required to skim, vacuum, and back-wash.

Pools are better left to communities where more people can contribute to the maintenance costs.
    Probably, but when it's snowing outside and you're in the spa with the wife - it makes good memories. Kids swimming in it all summer, December birthday parties with it heated. Having a TGT BBQ with more kids in it. Might be a waste of money, but not a waste of time. The former can be had, the latter cannot.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Never had a pool till '07.
    Probably won't be without one again. Hot tubs, yeah. Hell yeah.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse

I respectfully disagree...

I fix pool equipment for a living and have done everything with pools but sell new ones. I have an electrical license, plumbing license, and a propane license to do so. I've seen pools day in and day out for 14 years. While I personally hate looking at pools, I do know that they are great for a lot of things. Having kids, I will likely build myself a pool eventually. I'd rather have my kids playing in the pool at home than out somewhere, no?

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    If you guys need any help at all feel free to ask. I specialize in all aspects. I work for Keith zars here in San Antonio.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I respectfully disagree...

I fix pool equipment for a living and have done everything with pools but sell new ones. I have an electrical license, plumbing license, and a propane license to do so. I've seen pools day in and day out for 14 years. While I personally hate looking at pools, I do know that they are great for a lot of things. Having kids, I will likely build myself a pool eventually. I'd rather have my kids playing in the pool at home than out somewhere, no?

Oui. My kids are pretty much grown, but ours was the house that everybody came over to. We watched over them, fed them, and kicked the bad apples out. The kid my wife caught smoking a cigarette inside of my house hasn't been seen for years - by us anyway. I'd much rather have them be here.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If you guys need any help at all feel free to ask. I specialize in all aspects. I work for Keith zars here in San Antonio.

Ok. My main pump and vac (polaris) pump both have timers with anti freeze thermostats.
    Both have failed to start pumping with freezing temps. The vac timer is running about 1/2 speed.

Recommend me a pump timer / thermostat that works and isn't overpriced.
    Thanks.

Top Bottom