• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Having a gate around the pool helps. There are alarms you can put on doors, gates, and fences. There are also safety covers you can have installed which prevent anything from getting in the pool and are advertised with an elephant standing on it. While those types of covers are a pain to install and remove there are simpler covers which are basic cargo netting with tension holding it off the pool. I have fallen on them and they kept me dry.

All of these things narrow the possible risks. While there is no way to eliminate all risk these do help. Of course there is no substitute for common sense and diligence... If you leave your gate open or don't put a cover on then you're asking for problems.

I would feel safe having a pool. I would have a cargo net cover installed with a removable fence around it. I would also teach my kids not to screw around by any pool.

That all aside, I was more intending this thread to be to help people who have pools rather than argue their pros and cons.

Its like arguing water conservation..... I'm a pool guy..... I don't think about water conservation......
    Guns International

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    A friend in Tulsa had a nice, big pool where we partied often. She estimated that it cost her $100/month for chemicals and upkeep. My concern about having a pool is about liability. Pools, bad dogs and trampolines are as bad as liability risks get.

Flash
    Much like a luxury car, a homeowner doesn't decide to build a pool because they're cheap. The customers we build pools for generally have a housekeeper they're paying $3-400/mo. for so half that for pool maintenance isn't a problem. It's a status symbol, a vacation in your backyard and a way to keep your kids at home rather than out running around — that comes at a premium.

We sell a non-necessity — biggest thing I have to remind my technicians. Our customers don't NEED a pool and they don't NEED us to take care of it for them, we're selling customer service so your reputation is on the line.

If anyone in the CenTex area Georgetown-to-Waco-to-Lampasas-to-Cameron needs help, PM me. I run the biggest service department in the area. Pentair/Hayward/Jandy/Polaris/Jacuzzi/Marquis warranty station and service center. We have a route of over 250 and close to 1000 regular service customers. State of the art water analysis, hot tubs, pool/spa chems, testing equipment, cleaners, etc.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    I grew up on the lake and I would much prefer to be in lake water than public pool water.

Course, I've grown to dislike swimming altogether now.
    The average human butt has .14 grams of feces on it at any given time. The average 50,000 gal. public pool has 100 liters of urine it it.

APSP and IPSSA continuing ed has taught me more about nasty pools than I care to know.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    While 250/1000 is a good start its small potatoes to what I'm used to. Great start though. How many repair techs do you have and how long have you been around? You sound comparable to the last company I was with in San Diego. Mom and pop joint, 7-8 cleaners, 3-5 repair techs. Only service and repair. I miss that place sometimes. We serviced everything and there wasn't a piece of equipment I didn't service. Now these guys are pretty limited on what we work on as they have used a pretty set equipment package over the years. It makes things easy-er... But it also gets a little boring. I find myself missing the variety. I'm happy here though.

Nice to meet someone else in the business though

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    While 250/1000 is a good start its small potatoes to what I'm used to. Great start though. How many repair techs do you have and how long have you been around? You sound comparable to the last company I was with in San Diego. Mom and pop joint, 7-8 cleaners, 3-5 repair techs. Only service and repair. I miss that place sometimes. We serviced everything and there wasn't a piece of equipment I didn't service. Now these guys are pretty limited on what we work on as they have used a pretty set equipment package over the years. It makes things easy-er... But it also gets a little boring. I find myself missing the variety. I'm happy here though.

Nice to meet someone else in the business though
    I'm quite aware there are larger companies in the DFW, Houston, San Antonio & Austin areas, but we're one of the very few quality builders in the area, the only one with a regional, national or international design award (over 250 and counting). The difference between Bexar county and Bell county is over 1.5 million people so not only is my customer-base 1/6th the size, they all know and talk to each other. We're not exactly after volume, but quality — that goes for our customers too. We've dumped a few for various reasons. I'd rather the customer say "I wouldn't service their pool" than "I couldn't service their pool".

We've been running with two technicians regularly for the last eleven years, although our construction superintendents are sharp enough they can step in when the load gets too much to bear — doesn't happen often as I pay my guys for the job and parts, rather than hourly or salary. Needless to say their efficiency doesn't suffer. I've also been running four cleaners with the same results — another cleaner would take money out of their pockets so they're motivated to do it quick and do it right or they don't get paid. Rarely are my cleaners out past 5:00.

This Ocean Quest is in its 16th year of building & servicing pools, but Lew ran the Ocean Quest off 620 in Austin for 18 before he sold it to his business partner.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    rp-
    IMAG0934.jpg
    timer/thermostat. The clock is unreliable now, doesn't keep time very well, and the freeze protection doesnt work at all anymore.
    IMAG0936.jpg
    New hayward 1.5 hp installed last fall.
    IMAG0935.jpg
    3/4 hp booster for polaris vacuum. Couple of years on the motor.
    It draws from the filtered discharge side and output is through a dedicated line to vacuum attachment point.

I just need a good timer/thermostat unit for the main pump. The vac unit flows through enough with the boost off to prevent a freeze up.

thanks!

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    rp-
    View attachment 32416
    timer/thermostat. The clock is unreliable now, doesn't keep time very well, and the freeze protection doesnt work at all anymore.
    View attachment 32417
    New hayward 1.5 hp installed last fall.
    View attachment 32418
    3/4 hp booster for polaris vacuum. Couple of years on the motor.
    It draws from the filtered discharge side and output is through a dedicated line to vacuum attachment point.

I just need a good timer/thermostat unit for the main pump. The vac unit flows through enough with the boost off to prevent a freeze up.

thanks!
    I would recommend the PF1202T or PF1222TB.
    PF1202T
    PF1222TB1

Each are dual timers with freeze protection so you can run your filter pump for one set of hours and the booster for a much shorter time each day. All while being protected from freeze.

If you want something a bit more sophisticated with the ability to add features Hayward, Jandy & Pentair make a full line of computer controls for pumps, lights, cleaners, salt, automated chems, water features, wireless/remote/iPhone access, etc.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    The pf1102mt is your cheapest option. Can be had for 125$ at 1stoppoolsupply.com, slightly more via amazon or another pool place. I only glanced for a second or two but pretty unlikely you'll find it much cheaper really. That's pretty much distribution price plus 5%. Most online places are like that.

Installation should be 6 wires max and should only take a couple minutes. Just use the old one as a template. Take one wire off, move it to the new one.

Alternately you could always go to a cheap control system like a Hayward e-command 4. It will control filter pump, lights, +2 more auxiliaries. Also heater, spa, extra valves. The base on that is about $650. Installation is a little more detailed though but still pretty basic. The only advantage is that it is one box to control your entire pool and will automatically run filter pump, cleaner pump, freeze protection, and has built in safety for valve delays and heater delays.

Personally, I am a fan of Jandy equipment and their control systems keep getting better. They now have one called the iAqualink. You can control everything on your pool right from your phone. Pretty fancy. The newer antennas are pretty reliable too. Still well under a grand.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    If you want anything else you can always stop by our shop tomorrow in north San Antonio. We're having a big sale and are selling chemicals and equipment for less than anyone else can. I get to work and talk to people about new heaters we're using and filters.

dubbleA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Anyone here fed up with their salt water pools yet. Mine 3rd generator just died, my flagstone and motar are taking a beating.............. been told to go chlorine. Any advice?

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    OK. Back to the salt system debate...

Salt systems are great. The stone used around most pools here is soft and the salt degrades it. Thus, salt systems are not very good in Texas.

Personally, if I was to build a pool I would do a salt system however, I would also do a concrete coping up to the pool with no stone. I'm not a fan of stone anyways.

I suggest buying a chlorinator and installing it. The chlorinator will run about 50-80 dollars online

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    My buddy wants his pool refinished.
    Any company recommendations?

Abilene area.
    Probably rehab the skirting too.

Top Bottom