• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Better image from last weekend, first warm day of 2018. It wasn't adrenaline fueled action packed fun, but it was still 3 hours better spent than I usually do. Rode to Riflegear and couldn't get any service, so I just went for a cruise.

Strange problem though; started just fine at 9am, let it warm up for 2-3 minutes to idle without any choke, drove about 1/8 mile to the gas station, filled up, then it simply would not start. Just click click click. pushed it back home, put some jumper cables on it and all was well. Got a chicken sandwich, saw some things, waved at other bikers, and quit before fatigue set in.

View attachment 128568

I'd check the stator. If that was fine, then the battery. If it's the battery. It's a good excuse to buy one of the new lithium ion batteries.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    It sat for about a week, no battery tender because it sits outside under a cover. Do batteries normally drain enough in about a week? I stalled once trying to get out of that grass field, started right up, no problem. Started right up at riflegear, started right up after my lunch. I have a feeling it was the battery, just didn't know about batteries going flat in a week.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    It sat for about a week, no battery tender because it sits outside under a cover. Do batteries normally drain enough in about a week? I stalled once trying to get out of that grass field, started right up, no problem. Started right up at riflegear, started right up after my lunch. I have a feeling it was the battery, just didn't know about batteries going flat in a week.
    Typically not in a week, but it might be time.
    Not familiar with the bike, but it can't be push started in emergencies?

ETA: Went back and looked at the picture again, looks like shaft drive, so I guess not.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    You can push chain, belt, and shaft to start. The drive doesn't matter. The battery can have a parasitic drain. If the top of the battery is dirty, it can conduct electric flow between the post.

The battery needs to be load tested regardless. It should be able to sit a couple months with no problem. Harbor Freight has $9 maintainer that'll work. If it sits longer then six months. Starting it once a month should keep the battery ready.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I was told by the safety class instructor you can bump start a bike, but it has to be in 2nd gear and you should be going down hill because its a bear to do. Luckily the bike didn't start at the gas station less than a 1 minute walk from my house. Just walked it back, hooked up some jumper cables for 5 minutes and it was good to go for the day. I wish I had access to a power outlet, I'd keep a battery tender on it even if its just for a couple days, unfortunately for the next couple months, I don't have that convenience.

I didn't see a date code on the battery, but it looks in decent shape, wasn't crusty or even dirty, legible duracell label. I'll pull it out of its cavity to see if theres a date somewhere on it, if its 4 years old (Bike is 2014) I might just replace it. I'll see about the startup tomorrow; I'll go for a little ride provided the weather is nice and see if the bike starts up. Like I said though; it was a strange failure of starting right up, idling for 3 minutes, 1/8th mile drive, shut off to put fuel in (2 gallons), and the starter would only "click click click". Pushed it home, jumper cables, no issues for the rest of the day. My only guess is I turned the engine off with the button on the bars, but left the key in the on position while fueling. Could have been worse. I'll have to monitor and see what happens.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    You can push chain, belt, and shaft to start. The drive doesn't matter. The battery can have a parasitic drain. If the top of the battery is dirty, it can conduct electric flow between the post.

The battery needs to be load tested regardless. It should be able to sit a couple months with no problem. Harbor Freight has $9 maintainer that'll work. If it sits longer then six months. Starting it once a month should keep the battery ready.
    I had a shaft drive Suzuki GS1000 back in the 80s, battery never died, so never had to try. Just figured it wouldn't work.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Freezing temps can drain a battery quicker. Mine sits outside, but during those days that the temps dropped below freezing I had the tender on it. I bought a connection that is hooked to the battery so that all I do is plug in the tender.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    First stop, clean the battery connections. You described the symptoms of a corroded or loose connection. Even if you couldn't see it. Buy a genuine Battery Tender Jr, not a knock-off, and use it. Mine is either being ridden or hooked up to the Tender. I typically get 5 to 6 years out of a battery.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I use the Genius G750, you can use the clamps that come with it or buy a separate battery connection that stays on the bike.

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    2015_side_front3b.jpg
    2015closeup4b.jpg

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    neat, first I've heard of the diesel... 1.6L turbo. Kinda small for that size car, but I bet it gets great gas mileage.

I've been getting just short of 40 mpg. That's a lot with a foot as heavy as mine. I'm liking this thing a lot more than I thought I would. That engine is great in the highway and around town.

Top Bottom