IMG_2784.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 702
    Last edited:

clawmarks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2020
    austin, tx
    The wheels are a nice touch. What changed your mind?
    I had a manual MX-5 ND RF, RWD, just an absolute joy to drive. Enough power to get you smiling, not enough to get you killed.
    However, it was (/is) not "baby-compatible"...
    I was contemplating between getting a quick luxurious-enough ICE (Stinger GT1/GT2), or go with the technical-superiority "gadget car" (Model 3 Standard). I spent about a month researching the bejesus out of it all, the test drive got me even more confused because I (to my surprise) enjoyed the standard model 3 more than I thought I would.
    The thing is, I like my cars to be a tidy bit unique, not in the sense of "OMG I've never seen anything like it" but more of the sense of "ok it doesn't look like literally everything else on the road", and the Model 3 SUCKS on that front since it's so frickin' common... Additionally, I just didn't care for its design.

But eventually, I figured that I got my motorcycle as the weekend toy anyway, and the technical superiority of the Tesla, along with its minimalistic interior design approach, got me sold on it. So I placed an order on a standard model 3.

A week later I found out about the Stealth Performance version - basically, it's the Long Range model 3 with the Performance engine, and it cost only $2K more than the LR (and about 11K more than the standard). I decided to cheat the system, and instead of compromising on just the technical superior car, get the entire package. Tracked down a stealth performance exemplar, flew to OH to pick it up (you can't order those, and they're not easy to find), drove it back to TX.

This thing is a beast. 0-60 in about 3s, but also a great family sedan. It can drive itself on the interstate, and you can drive it like a maniac (and enjoy it) on the deserted twisty backroad of your preference. It looks like a Corolla, but will put very serious cars in the rear view mirror with ease. 6 months later and I don't really understand what took me so long to decide, I used to day-dream of c63 AMG, but in practice my M3 became my dream car - and I wouldn't replace it for that (awesome)c63 even without the financial side of things.

I wrapped the top black, powdercoated the wheels, deleted all the chrome - so now I actually really like the way it looks. It's not amazing, but it's far from being ugly IMO. And even though it's a super common car, my M3 looks different enough for me to twist my head every time I park it anywhere, so that's good :)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I had a manual MX-5 ND RF, RWD, just an absolute joy to drive. Enough power to get you smiling, not enough to get you killed.
    However, it was (/is) not "baby-compatible"...
    You're just not dedicated enough ;)
    I raised a kid with a roadster being my daily driver.

I was contemplating between getting a quick luxurious-enough ICE (Stinger GT1/GT2), or go with the technical-superiority "gadget car" (Model 3 Standard).
    Thanks for sharing your insights. I think the technology pack wins over many people. The performance is on par with super sedans that cost nearly twice as much.

Personally I hate all the technology; find it very distracting to the driving experience. I want real tactile buttons that control the environmental and audio systems, and I want them to be simple. Any other feature in a car I won't use. The touch screens really piss me off.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Personally I hate all the technology; find it very distracting to the driving experience. I want real tactile buttons that control the environmental and audio systems, and I want them to be simple. Any other feature in a car I won't use. The touch screens really piss me off.
    You're definitely not alone there, but it may be an age thing. My six year old loves all the buttons ;)

I had to smirk when I bought the '16 Camaro I had. The sales guy wanted to ride with on a test drive that he insisted I take, because it's that "magical" opportunity to connect the buyer emotionally with the car. He was trying to pitch all the gadgets and features, and when I wasn't responding at all he finally pressed the question. "Isn't all this stuff great?"

No. It's not, and if you could remove it you'd be selling a much better car. He was almost dumbfounded. "Well what matters most to you in a car?"

"A powerful engine, a smooth shifting transmission, a performant suspension, and little else."

"Did I mention this car has 4G LTE WiFi?"

4bBZWuI.jpg

Attachments

• 4bBZWuI.jpg
      4bBZWuI.jpg
      28.6 KB · Views: 542

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What's really infuriating is all these BS value added technology features can be replaced with a well designed smart phone mount. Instead we get tablets glued to the dash and no where to put the device we already own that does all that stuff already.

clawmarks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2020
    austin, tx
    [1]You're just not dedicated enough ;)
    I raised a kid with a roadster being my daily driver.

Thanks for sharing your insights. I think the technology pack wins over many people. The performance is on par with super sedans that cost nearly twice as much.

[2]Personally I hate all the technology; find it very distracting to the driving experience. I want real tactile buttons that control the environmental and audio systems, and I want them to be simple. Any other feature in a car I won't use. The touch screens really piss me off.
    1. For me - it's not a question of "whether I can", it's a question of "whether I want", and I don't want a two-seater that doesn't allow me to drive with both wife & daughter, since in practice it means I'll have to always take the boring SUV anywhere we go :)

2. I can tell you that my initial reaction of seeing the Model 3's interior was "wow, they have NO IDEA what they're doing, it's ugly and not usable at all". I thought that they're a bunch of clowns.
    However, once I actually used it, I was completely sold. I felt a bit silly since my initial reaction was so polarized to one end, but the actual experience made me polarized to the other... Now, when I go inside way more expensive & luxurious cars (e.g. my friend's S550), THEY feel too cluttered to me. Forget about other manufacturers, even the Tesla Model S or X interiors are less to my liking than the 3. Why do we need all of these excessive buttons and screens and dials, when we can achieve it all with a lot less, and much "cleaner" looks?
    And, from a user's perspective - we can definitely achieve it with small (and even no) compromise. Whether it's voice command, or a simple gesture of the hand, it's easy enough. Tesla's UX is on an entire different level when compared to the car industry.
    Again, a matter of personal preference, I'm not saying that you're wrong because you're not. If it something that you want / miss, then you're right and that's it. I do say, that coming from your perspective, I changed my mind.
    BTW - I've seen other cars that tried to traverse all of the inputs from dials to screens, and did it very poorly. It's not just a matter of concept, but also of execution, Tesla just managed to somehow nail it (for me at least).

MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    Is that the one that sounds like it's hauling ass but is really just plodding along? Like the torque converter is shot or transmission is slipping. Denton has a bunch of those.

No torque converter, it's got a 6 speed manual transmission. It does make a racket when you get it spooled up though.

Top Bottom