• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The Vortex DB Tactical is a good recommendation too but 24x is a little much for a 22. I like to overscope but that is pushing it.

Fixed power SWFA 10 or 12 is a goid choice too. 16 power if you are wanting more. I generally don't like fixed power scopes but if you are just bench shooting they are going to give you the best glass in your budget.

Really I don't shop your budget and requirements for scopes so I don't have any other suggestions.

I have a Savage Mk II fvsr in 22lr and it is nice but the stock is made for a child. By the time you find an adjustable replacement you are blowing your budget.

The RPR would be my choice. I haven't shot one but I hear good things.

CZs are nice but again blowing your budget to get an adjustable stock.
    Gun Zone Deals

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The Vortex DB Tactical is a good recommendation too but 24x is a little much for a 22. I like to overscope but that is pushing it.

Fixed power SWFA 10 or 12 is a goid choice too. 16 power if you are wanting more. I generally don't like fixed power scopes but if you are just bench shooting they are going to give you the best glass in your budget.

Really I don't shop your budget and requirements for scopes so I don't have any other suggestions.

I have a Savage Mk II fvsr in 22lr and it is nice but the stock is made for a child. By the time you find an adjustable replacement you are blowing your budget.

The RPR would be my choice. I haven't shot one but I hear good things.

CZs are nice but again blowing your budget to get an adjustable stock.

So, budget be damned, what optic would you recommend?

What makes it worth it? Though I’m experimenting, I do understand it all fits together, and while my initial goal is 50/yds dime groups, scaled targets at 100 - 200 yds isn’t unheard of.

That opens the discussion to cartridge, too.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US

Definately a fair point, but consider that pretty much any variable power optic in that price range is likely to be less than satisfactory at max magnification, so with 24x it likely that you wouldn't often run it past ~20x, and you still get more flexability to make/see small holes than with something lower power in the same tier.

Something (vpo) with solid optical performance at the highest magnification range is going to cost several multiples more (at minimum).

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I bought a Savage A22 .22lr HB. Love it. Put a Nikon 3-9×40 Prostaff Rimfire 2 and a cheap bipod and have shot under an inch at 100 yards when the weather is nice. I would rather have an Athlon Argos 4-20 or the Nikon 4-12 prostaff Rimfire 2 but it will have to wait a few weeks. Has a nice thumbhole Boyd's stock with 2 front sling swivels. It is a breeze to bed if you want to. Haven't yet but I did the A17. The cost for the rifle and either of those scopes would leave plenty left to find the ammo it likes best. So would the other scopes mentioned above.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Definately a fair point, but consider that pretty much any variable power optic in that price range is likely to be less than satisfactory at max magnification, so with 24x it likely that you wouldn't often run it past ~20x, and you still get more flexability to make/see small holes than with something lower power in the same tier.

Something (vpo) with solid optical performance at the highest magnification range is going to cost several multiples more (at minimum).
    I can agree with all that.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    So, budget be damned, what optic would you recommend?

What makes it worth it? Though I’m experimenting, I do understand it all fits together, and while my initial goal is 50/yds dime groups, scaled targets at 100 - 200 yds isn’t unheard of.

As far as zoom is concerned, I think 15-16 top power is reasonable for a 22 out to and beyond 200 yards if the glass is half way decent.

In budget still (a couple I didn't think about) look at the Primary Arms 4-14 ffp or some of the Athlon offerings. I have used both and they offer a great value with glass clarity above their price points.

Nikon released a new line of ffp scopes but I haven't followed them.

Midway recently had the Vortex PST Gen IIs on sale for about $750 or so. Used ffp Gen I models can be found for about $500. They were thousand dollar scopes (and well worth it) until the Gen IIs came out. Pushing or blowing the budget but also a big step up in glass.

Maybe too nice of glass for a 22. They might make you want to get a bigger caliber and extend distances.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    In budget still (a couple I didn't think about) look at the Primary Arms 4-14 ffp or some of the Athlon offerings. I have used both and they offer a great value with glass clarity above their price points.

Nikon released a new line of ffp scopes but I haven't followed them.

Maybe too nice of glass for a 22. They might make you want to get a bigger caliber and extend distances.

Thanks. I’m used to ACOG and now have a PA Fixed 5x ACSS that I’ve been pleased with. I’ve also got some time behind the Nikon P-Tactical which had nice features, but topped out at 7x.

Who knows, If I enjoy it, there may be a 6.5C up next.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Midway recently had the Vortex PST Gen IIs on sale for about $750 or so. Used ffp Gen I models can be found for about $500. They were thousand dollar scopes (and well worth it) until the Gen IIs came out. Pushing or blowing the budget but also a big step up in glass.
    Vortex also come with a lifetime transferable warranty.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

I reload so rimfires are a little touchy with me. Getting into the 17s pushes ammo costs up to the cost of my reloads.

I had a 17 HMR shortly after they came out and it was a wonderful rifle. Very accurate with no recoil but I just couldn't justify ammo expense compared to my small caliber reloads. The step up in power and ability to fine tune for the gun just left the more expensive rimfires in the dirt.

I will always have a 22lr though. They are just too cheap to shoot and fun to boot.

If you don't reload then the 17s make more sense and by all means go for it.

Since you are already upgrading the 10/22 a different caliber may be what you want.

That's your call.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    What scares me about the Ruger is it’s the same bolt as the American, and the QC has been on the customer end.

But I keep circling back to it as most value for the money.

I’m eligible for CZs pro discount and can get a 457 heavy barrel with the Boyd’s At-One stock for not much more than the Ruger. But that stock is a heavy b*tch.

So what, you aren't lugging it around the pasture. You're sitting at a bench trying for the smallest grouping while working on technique and getting range time. Technique and range time is what wins matches. All that weight makes for a very stable platform.

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    Dime sized groups at 50 can be had with the Savage Mark II series more often than not, I have one (FVSR from 2012) that I’m currently reconfiguring for NRL22 matches that you are welcome to sit behind when it’s back together. I love the rifle, I’ve never regretted the purchase or the evolving build phases, we’ve had a love affair that has spanned 6+ years and I’m just now comfortable asking for more accuracy out of a rifle. I can tell you a lot about the savage systems if you desire. Having said that, I’d suggest more rifle and less glass...buy the best rifle that you can right now, upgrade the budget glass later. With your discount, can you get a 455 in the Boyd’s or Manners stocks? Do you need a threaded barrel? What other CZ heavy barreled rifles can you get? What is your attraction to a chassis system, adjustability or accuracy?

789b265fb8c06224304966f74bd9a30a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 789b265fb8c06224304966f74bd9a30a.jpg
      789b265fb8c06224304966f74bd9a30a.jpg
      82.3 KB · Views: 295

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Because the world is my oyster. The closest thing CZ has to an adjustable stock right now is the AT-ONE. That stock alone is 7+ lbs. and it’s pretty clunky. Gotta drill the wood for a rail or other attachment point for a bipod.

Can you source me a chassis for a 457 or even a 455 that is <$650?

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-cz-455-chassis/

Why do you need attachment points? Bipod, nope. A good rest for the forearm and rear of the stock.

You really need to define what you are trying to do. It sounds like you want a do it all rifle and not a precision hole punch.

Top Bottom